User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Default Ask an ISTP, get a semi-related answer

I'm game. And bored.

*P.S. The harder the question, the longer it will take me to answer. But I'll promise to try to be thorough from many angles for each question.

*P.P.S. Other ISTPs can answer questions too, if they so like.
    Last edited by Colors; 06-13-2009 at 02:19 AM.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Right or left?
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

"Turn Left", a new Doctor Who series four episode, we see the story of Donna Noble. Donna is a temp in her 30s- she's admittedly not very special or even observant. She's sort of loud and "rough". But, at one moment in time she's the most important woman in the universe. The universe needs her because she's a better person than she realizes- she can be a great person if she allows herself to be put into a situation where her skills will come into a play. She has skills. She's incredibly empathetic, she's great with numbers, she's a no-bullshitter. But she has to take chances in order to get to a place where she will bloom. She has to try harder.

So when does this choice come? When will she destroy or save the universe? It comes on an ordinary day, when Donna is driving to work. At a stop sign, she can turn left, take a temp job in the city where she's hoping to get out more, maybe meet a new guy... or she can listen to her constantly-disparaging mother and turn right and take a safer, permanent job down at the local copy shop.

The Donna that turns right sees how the universe will end because of her reluctance to take a chance, to let herself grow. But she's still scared of the universe that turns left. But she'll try and believe in it being better and she finally takes the leap.

Answer: Left. Always left.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Dear Colors -

I attended a rodeo with some friends. As I sat in the bleachers, I saw a man approaching wearing jeans so tight you could see every bit of the man's block and tackle. Since he wound up sitting in my line of sight, I knew not which way to look.

What is the etiquette in this situation?

Much obliged. - Pink
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Very difficult question, Pink.*

Darwin formulated the idea of sexual selection in order to explain, for example, why male peacocks grow such decadent beauty when the giant feathers seem to make them giant targets (and take lots of energy to grow). They need to impress the female peacocks, who get to be picky cause they do all the real reproductive work.

I haven't read Emily Post for a while, but I'm just going to say that the polite thing to do is look! Since the feathers are there and all. It's probably not going to be that interesting after you finish examining, and then you can freely ignore the distraction (having acclimed/ been desensitized).

Personally, I prefer to put something convenient in the way of that line of sight though. A textbook, or a newspaper or something. And ponder my mental tally of thong colors.

P.S. My INFP best friend says the morally right thing to do is give an appropriately disapproving gaze, but us mere selfish mortals can just look away.

*I have been there with the tight jeans too, and had just gawked while the guy walked by. Mostly because I knew him (from him *cough* running into my fist once in middle school). I decided I was mostly :steam: that he had turned into the guy-wearing-sagging&tight-jeans, thereby decreasing the coolness of me having punched him in the face.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Very difficult question, Pink.*

Darwin formulated the idea of sexual selection in order to explain, for example, why male peacocks grow such decadent beauty when the giant feathers seem to make them giant targets (and take lots of energy to grow). They need to impress the female peacocks, who get to be picky cause they do all the real reproductive work.

I haven't read Emily Post for a while, but I'm just going to say that the polite thing to do is look! Since the feathers are there and all. It's probably not going to be that interesting after you finish examining, and then you can freely ignore the distraction (having acclimed/ been desensitized).
    hahaha!! There's a biological explanation AND a practical one! I have been enlightened!

Personally, I prefer to put something convenient in the way of that line of sight though. A textbook, or a newspaper or something. And ponder my mental tally of thong colors.

P.S. My INFP best friend says the morally right thing to do is give an appropriately disapproving gaze, but us mere selfish mortals can just look away.
    My disapproving gazes need work. Usually they just go from "WTH?" to "WTH!" without much progression. *laughs*

*makes note of physical barrier*

*I have been there with the tight jeans too, and had just gawked while the guy walked by. Mostly because I knew him (from him *cough* running into my fist once in middle school). I decided I was mostly :steam: that he had turned into the guy-wearing-sagging&tight-jeans, thereby decreasing the coolness of me having punched him in the face.
    lol!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Phantonym

To the moon or back?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI

What kind of video games do you like? RPGs and strategies? Or stuff with lots of fast paced-ness and killing?
    4w5.

"We trust the local doctor, we trust the medicine.
    Our child gets a scratch, we get our child a brand new head.
    We eat what's on our plate, we drink what's in our cup...
    We like the shiny TV screen, it spits, we lap it up...
    They sing a song, we hum along.
    We sing; but we don't understand the words to the song."
    -- High As A Horse

Why is your username Colors?
    How does an ISTP feel about people in general?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by bananafish View Post
    What kind of video games do you like? RPGs and strategies? Or stuff with lots of fast paced-ness and killing?
    Which category would Super Mario Brothers be under?

I love fast paced games! I also unabashedly suck at them. RPGs don't really require hand-eye coordination, and I play the easy ones, so there's not really any strategy or skill- just persistance and not minding doing 40 minute battles and dying lots and stuff.

Actually, though, besides the classics, I mostly like playing video games socially. I'm not really all into the first-person killing. My favorite games are SSX (snowboarding game) and Tekken Tag (arcade fighting game). Haven't played in ages though because lately I don't have anyone to rope into it with me.

I hear computer games are really fun and you can get lots of people to play with you easy, but I have not become that technologically advanced yet.