MBTI
    INTP

Whose hair is clogging up the shower?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    How does an ISTP feel about people in general?
    "Feel"? I go for the easy joke. But otherwise, not easy question.

As a member of the species? People are complicated. I've spent what feels like my entire life trying to understand them (myself included). Even though I think I now predict what they do pretty well (because I have the presumption that things happen under natural law), understanding why they do things is probably a crapshoot. Just because something makes sense from a purely it happens point-of-view, doesnt mean it makes sense. I think I categorize behaviors and thoughts and feelings and all sorts of things, like we all do- its what we call intelligence- this idea of naming and sorting THINGS. But its not THINGS. The real things are stuff that happens, stuff that just IS, without requiring someones contemplation to make it into being.

In short, in general I behave like people are big mysteries to figure out and I am very curious to explore, but another part of me strongly feels like there is nothing to figure (as figuring doesnt exist). Does confusion count as a feeling?

Sometimes I wonder why I am even so attached to humans and being human. Is there really a reason to be so attached to the what and why of this species? But thats sort of the stick I drew, you know? Thats just part of our natural survival instinct: being self-interested, being socially interested. I was born into this species with this survival trait, so I got to make the most of it. It wouldnt do me any good to go against what is ingrained inside me just because it didnt have to be that way. It just *is*.

Very Very Smart Second Opinion, by Grayscale:
    "I think people are foolish, as am I
    just smart enough to think we know better
    smartest species on the planet but not relatively very smart."

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Peltast View Post
    Do you like bright colors or dark colors?.
    I like saturated colors. Pastels can kiss my ass. I want my corneas to be metaphorically seared. I want to be desensitized to that color through opponent processes!*

*I learned about opponent processes in behavioral psychology. It explains drug addiction very well. If you don't want to become reliant on caffeine (aka, feel dead in the morning without it), drink coffee at random intervals and in random caffeine concentrations and in un-habitual manners (diff coffee sources, diff mugs, etc.) to lessen the cues that tell your body to "relax"/"get sleepy"/etc in response to the caffeine fix.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I have a bad cough AND hiccups. How is this possible?
    Question that requires research on my part! :1377:

A hiccup is caused by a spasm of the diaphragm muscles which control breathing.* This involuntary "surprise" intake of breath causes the epiglottis to close, interrupting the inhale, and causing the titular sound of the hiccup when it hits your vocal cords. (The epiglottis protects the vocal cords and acts as a valve of sorts by closing the windpipe when you swallow food/water.)

So maybe you're inhaling via hiccup and exhaling through cough. (That's got to sound funny though.)

*Why hiccups? It might be a leftover from amphibian ancestor air-gulping. Isn't that cool?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Whose hair is clogging up the shower?
    Who has used the shower? We can eliminate from there. Of course, I am committing a bit of the Sherlock Holmes fallacy there, who's to say there wasn't an alien interloper that teleported in who I am failing to consider?

DNA testing, or other forensic analysis, rhinosaur. Sorry I can't help you more.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Are you a lone wolf looking in or do you forage in packs?
    Would you rather live in the country than the city or suburb.

Do you eat healthy food, what constitutes healthy food for you?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Would you rather live in the country than the city or suburb.

Do you eat healthy food, what constitutes healthy food for you?
    Colors said I could answer these questions since I am an ISTP. I feel special now.

Yes, I am a lone wolf. I don't usually forage in packs. Like going out to lunch, that's almost always alone. Sometimes I'll go with one other person, or if I randomly see some other people I know I'll eat with them. I have nothing against eating with other people, but I don't really make any special effort to go in a crowd. Pretty much all of my life is like that, actually. If I want to do something, I'll do it alone, unless someone else wants to join. God damn, that was way too wordy. I guess that will teach me to answer questions when I am amped up on Mexican food and post-exercise brainchemicals.

What is healthy? I try to avoid the stuff generally regarded as bad, but I don't think there is a unanimous consensus on the matter or anything. I eat a lot, and I try to make it healthy, but sometimes when you're driving into work you've just got to stop and get something real quick, you know? I just try to get the right amount of food, with as many veggies and fruits and protein and complex carbs as I can get, and listen to my body. I've actually been transitioning to a diet where meat is a "luxury" item. This is partly due to the purported health benefits, and partly because I think a meat-laden diet is unnecessary and overly primitive.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Thanks rhinosaur. I know I'm really slow, and it's always nice to get a second opinion. The thread's still titled "ask AN ISTP".

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    You're reading my mind! I mentioned this recently, wolves aren't lone! And people aren't either. We're social animals and its sort of foolish to pretend we're not. Which is not to say I never *feel* alone or lonely or alienated or independent because I feel those things a lot- but I feel them because I am paying attention to my social status (I'm a human being! I'm still very interested in those things).

When I ignore those pangings, when I withdraw from people it is like withdrawing from reality and I think I become someone I don't easily recognize. It's sort of a combination of two sentiments: "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?" and "You are what you do." When I am not reacting with action to anyone/society, with anyone/society, do "I" exist?

I saw the 1988 People of the Forest documenting the lives of the famous group of chimpanzees in Gombe National Forest this Monday (for a test that was... you guessed it, this Monday). It was really amazing to me how much of the chimpanzees lives are centered around social rituals and communication. They dont have the luxury, the distraction of, you know, internet or books, or whatever those things we use to pretend we arent social animals. They kiss, groom, hug, "piroutte", etc to placate, greet, calm, bond, tell to "back off", etc. There is nowhere to hide from the fact that they essentially need the social unit to survive. We have words, so we should be doing better, but I dont think we are.*

Society, culture is our greatest adaptation so to speak, and I don't even appreciate/take care of it as I should.

It's like this song that was stuck in my head all last week: (Animal by Miike Snow)
    "But I'm still trying to make my mind up,
    Am I free or am I tied up?

I change shapes just to hide in this place,
    but I'm still, I'm still an animal-
    Nobody knows it but me, but yeah
    when I slip, I slip, I'm still an animal."

Does that make any sense?
    Last edited by Colors; 06-19-2009 at 04:04 PM.