User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I understand now, good to have a POV.

And I should have said earlier that it wasn't based entirely off of theory, I really do see a lot of people going around saying "this guy was ESTJ, so all ESTJs are assholes". Etc. You get what I mean though.
    Well I do and I don't. Since most people don't go around with a four-letter code on their foreheads, if we call someone an ESTJ because they have traits in common with an ESTJ asshole we once knew, we probably haven't grasped the finer nuances of MBTI theory. Better just to call them "asshole".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Well I do and I don't. Since most people don't go around with a four-letter code on their foreheads, if we call someone an ESTJ because they have traits in common with an ESTJ asshole we once knew, we probably haven't grasped the finer nuances of MBTI theory. Better just to call them "asshole".
    If only people had this much common sense.

People tend to misuse MBTI and deem it as some sort of divine truth, like it totally encases someone's personality (which it won't).

Etc. Rambling is fun.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    People tend to misuse MBTI and deem it as some sort of divine truth, like it totally encases someone's personality (which it won't).
    QFT.

It's really only a vague framework, and I feel like more people are exceptions to the rule than not. I think it's like I saw a couple of posts back - you start to see traits of behavior that fit into a certain personality type, and you automatically jump to "SJ!" or whatever type seems to have those traits. But you can't just know that. There are way too many nuances in personality. Are you seeing an SJ, or an NJ who happens to be very J? Or could they be an SP? Or god forbid that an NP act out of character and try to take control of a situation? People most likely as often as they do act in their chosen type will act out of character for their type as well, in response to situations. I can't always be an INFP, thinking about how my emotions are affecting me and fighting for "causes" and whatever else INFPs are supposed to do. I change myself constantly, knowing that there isn't one static "me", but that I operate within many roles. INFP is just one of the many masks that I wear as I make my way through life.

You have to always keep in mind that each type exists on a continuum, and especially as people age or experience life they can and do act out of type in response to stress, and due to life experience. My mother is an ESFJ, but while it took awhile, as I grew up and she got to know me as a person rather than as a son, she eased up. She's still a little bit of a worrywart and worries about the little details of my life, but she knows just as well that I have to do things my way or I'm not going to be happy. I actually appreciate her all the more for that - her personality would probably come across as "annoying" or "stifling" to some, but I'm glad that I have a mom I can look to when I need someone I know cares about me enough to make sure that all of my clothes have been folded perfectly! And not only that, but as I matured and became more able to act within my personality type and without it, my mom came to recognize my strengths more, and we can talk on a more intimate level about the events in our lives together. It's a great relationship, but I had to give it time.

I'm just worried that a lot of people will dismiss someone as irrelevant or "SJ!" before they give them a shot. Everyone is different. No two people are not on fire.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)