User Tag List

123 Last

Default Rant about how "hard" your work situation is

I need a pick me up.

Actually, I suspect we'll find that many people have similar situations. Most will likely have worse.

Here is my work situation:
    Yet another guy (this one working on a unit that I thought I had finished my work on) just left the group. This makes the 6th one in the last 6 months. I am pretty sure there are at least 7 more prepared to leave the group (of a bout 60) or the company (and I haven't started looking for another job yet ).

In the past year, I had my original boss quit the company, the guy who took over decided within 4-weeks that he doesn't want to be a manager (and probably never will want to be one), then my new, new boss quits the group, citing "politics", so now we "report" to his boss, though now everyone is in charge of me in reality (with probably enough authority to recommend termination). Rumors about my current "boss" is that he likes to micro-manage those who he directly contacts (though I've see him, maybe, once a quarter).

My "word-of-mouth" review is "Needs Improvement", though no official review has been done.

Two-Thirds of the projects I am asked to work on are obviously of no value before and inherently close to impossible to make, and eventually gets canned when we get things close to working. The 1/3 that has value and is likely to work, have to be championed by my co-workers or me till we are nearly sick.

Our lab equipment is faulty (I have to go in again this weekend to fix yet another thing), the drivers suck, the systems are flaky, the experiments to be run, ill-defined and essentially impossible to execute. Our group has less disk-space to use than what is found on some i-Pods, despite having to design things with among the smallest features in the world using databases representing some of the most complex physical devices made by the human race.

The company is always looking for ways to cut my job. The CEO said "there is no such thing as job security." Even when the company is doing well, we are asked to "do more with less" and informed that our site is not to grow are be reduced even if the company is allowed to grow as a whole (which is rare in itself)

Most people get no feedback for the consequences of their decisions (except a check mark on a spread sheet or equivalent). Those with jobs specialized in such a way as to see the consequences of their actions and other actions are branded as whiners, nit-pickers, or time wasters (despite the fact that everyone put into those situations say the same things after some experience).

Work is feast or famine. We go through stretches where we work 70-120 hour work-weeks for nearly a year, to having nothing to do, and fearing for our jobs for a couple of months.

The company culture comes out in its meetings, where it is not uncommon to have people so worked up over trivialities that they seem like they would kill each other (luckily they are usually on opposite ends of the earth making it a physical impossibility).

Everyone works in cubicles (if they are lucky). It is nearly impossible to concentrate with the background noise.
    Here is a sample.

But somehow I find it worth it. Must be the people we work with, and their sense of humor and openness (They actually posted the Conan O'Brien video on an internal site).

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

I'm disabled, unemployed, and unable to go back to college this semester. And the government is screwing me out of your money!

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    I'm disabled, unemployed, and unable to go back to college this semester. And the government is screwing me out of your money!
    Disabled and unemployed sucks.

The gov't is screwing you out of our money?

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Disabled and unemployed sucks.

The gov't is screwing you out of our money?
    Well, I just got married in early may... and my husband is also disabled (gonna have his second hip replaced in about a month, and he's only 27!) Anyways, the government has these cute little laws that allow for disabled couples to move in together and still receive the same amount of financial help, BUT if you wanna do it the right way (no offense) and get married, they cut both of your checks down 'til they do not cumulatively exceed $904 a month (as of 2006), because "two can live as cheaply as one", they say. (I guess they figure, if you're not married, you can't use the same toothpaste or toilet paper, and eat the same food or something. I dunno.)

Now, I've heard that it's gone up to something like $924 or so this year, but SURPRISE! Uncle Same is giving us special treatment and only burdening us with the weight of $804 a month in checks - $100 less than last year's limit.

Yeah... as you can see, I'm still pretty ticked about it, but we're gonna see what we can do to change it. And if they don't wanna change it, we're gonna find other ways to screw 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    Well, I just got married in early may... and my husband is also disabled (gonna have his second hip replaced in about a month, and he's only 27!) Anyways, the government has these cute little laws that allow for disabled couples to move in together and still receive the same amount of financial help, BUT if you wanna do it the right way (no offense) and get married, they cut both of your checks down 'til they do not cumulatively exceed $904 a month (as of 2006), because "two can live as cheaply as one", they say. (I guess they figure, if you're not married, you can't use the same toothpaste or toilet paper, and eat the same food or something. I dunno.)

Now, I've heard that it's gone up to something like $924 or so this year, but SURPRISE! Uncle Same is giving us special treatment and only burdening us with the weight of $804 a month in checks - $100 less than last year's limit.

Yeah... as you can see, I'm still pretty ticked about it, but we're gonna see what we can do to change it. And if they don't wanna change it, we're gonna find other ways to screw 'em.
    Oh. Good luck then.

I have a hard time figuring out where you might be living. Most rents I know of (unless you can stay with relatives or rent a room from some one) will take at least half that much.

And when you consider food cost...

Wow! That's pretty ridiculous. Now, I'm mad at the gov't. :steam:

But I don't like paying taxes. I'm seriously conflicted now.

Robot Fusion

lolfr... I can see where that would be a dliemma.

Oh... I know what they could do to give us the money we need while not taxing the crap outta you... They could cut the unmarried couples' income and not ours. i'm sure there's more of them anyways.

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

it could be worse my husband the only income earner in our home (which we bought) has been on strike since the 17th o f July.... so um how hard in your work situation now? It's all relative!
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

OK. So, My husband and I just got off the phone with Social Security. Come to find out, our checks have been cut because the government thinks my dad is still paying child support, but he quit that just a little while after I turned 18. AND as for my husband's missing $400 check that he was supposed to get on July 3rd, it has been cashed - obviously by someone other than him. Yaaaay.

MBTI
    INFP

I'm a single mum with 3 kids, living on a shoestring budget, I would give anything to rant about how hard my job is, except I don't have a job.

I long to be a part of the real world again, and not to have to seek out disembodied voices on the internet as my only adult communication.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    I long to be a part of the real world again, and not to have to seek out disembodied voices on the internet as my only adult communication.
    Well, that sounds creepy. I took a second glance at that one before finishing the sentence, lol.
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...