User Tag List

Default What would you advise?

You often hear the saying:
    You got to play the hand you are dealt in life.
    Using that metaphor to the extreme....

Suppose you know someone whose hand is analogous to the following Texas Hold'em situation.

They are in the big blind position.

They are holding 2-7 off suit.

Somebody raised big enough pre-flop so that their decision is: either go all-in or fold.

If this was truly the metaphor for their life, what would you advise, metaphorically? The choice is obvious if it weren't a metaphor, but what if it really was an accurate metaphor for life for them (It's hard to think of a real analogous situation. Maybe Fibromyalgia so bad that they are always on the edge of shock).
    Last edited by Bellflower; 09-07-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: The Incredible N -- I changed a "had" into a "hand"!

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Sigh. It's at times like these I really wish I understand the intricacies of poker.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

Suppose you know someone whose hand is analogous to the following Texas Hold'em situation.

Somebody raised big enough pre-flop so that their decision is: either go all-in or fold.

If this was truly the metaphor for their life, what would you advise, metaphorically? The choice is obvious if it weren't a metaphor, but what if it really was an accurate metaphor for life for them (It's hard to think of a real analogous situation. Maybe Fibromyalgia so bad that they are always on the edge of shock).
    Better yet, let's just decide that this metaphor is not representative of real life.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Oberon

As a poker player in this situation, and given that the principle is "Play the hand you're dealt," there's really only one way to play it: BLUFF LIKE HELL. If you're talented and a little lucky, it'll work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Sigh. It's at times like these I really wish I understand the intricacies of poker.
    Texas Hold'em 101

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    As a poker player in this situation, and given that the principle is "Play the hand you're dealt," there's really only one way to play it: BLUFF LIKE HELL. If you're talented and a little lucky, it'll work.
    I've only played twice ever and not for real money, but with the worst hand possible and with someone who (for your purposes) is all-in, you are going to bluff??!!

If that's how you would play poker, maybe I should invite you to a poker game with really money.

The best way to play that hand is to fold and take your losses. I am pretty sure of that.

But ....

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Better yet, let's just decide that this metaphor is not representative of real life.
    That's what I was getting at.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I believe that metaphor is meant to be applied to five card draw instead of Texas Hold 'em.

If you want to apply it to Texas Hold'em then obviously you fold and get a new set of cards next hand. But as an ENTP I don't consider the hand to be "all of life". I always reserve the right to create a new hand for myself. In poker it's not about winning a single hand, but winning the whole game. In order to win in the game of poker you have to know how to properly lose a hand.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I believe that metaphor is meant to be applied to five card draw instead of Texas Hold 'em.

If you want to apply it to Texas Hold'em then obviously you fold and get a new set of cards next hand. But as an ENTP I don't consider the hand to be "all of life". I always reserve the right to create a new hand for myself. In poker it's not about winning a single hand, but winning the whole game. In order to win in the game of poker you have to know how to properly lose a hand.
    True. I didn't consider the option of cheating or changing the rules.

If your one hand constituted all of life and it sucked as much as the one I described, I think a responsible person would change the rules.

Robot Fusion

Oberon

ygolo, the premise was you've got to 'play the hand you're dealt.' I took that to exclude the option of folding; folding isn't playing the hand, to my mind.

And a good player can make that work, if several conditions are met. First, he or she has to have played well in the game up until that point and not bluffed a lot. Second, he or she has to know his own tells, and guard against them, and plant false tells that indicated his or her hand is strong.

The same tournament poker players consistently win poker tournaments, and it's not because they always get the cards they need.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

True. I didn't consider the option of cheating or changing the rules.
    Gasp. You forgot the Kobayashi Maru? (And you call yourself an INTP?)

I am so ashamed.
    <pulls paper bag over head>
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    ygolo, the premise was you've got to 'play the hand you're dealt.' I took that to exclude the option of folding; folding isn't playing the hand, to my mind.

And a good player can make that work, if several conditions are met. First, he or she has to have played well in the game up until that point and not bluffed a lot. Second, he or she has to know his own tells, and guard against them, and plant false tells that indicated his or her hand is strong.

The same tournament poker players consistently win poker tournaments, and it's not because they always get the cards they need.
    It's all in the interpretation, I guess (thought changing the rules seems like the better option still). Wouldn't want to start an argument over something so trivial (I do wonder if I'm an INTP).

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Gasp. You forgot the Kobayashi Maru? (And you call yourself an INTP?)

I am so ashamed.
    <pulls paper bag over head>
    I knew there was a Star Trek reference. Maybe I'm not as clever as captain Kirk or The_Liquid_Laser.

Note to self, get a copy of All I Really Need to Know I Learned from Watching Star Trek.

Robot Fusion