User Tag List

123 Last

Default DSM-2023 reports new personality disorder

The Over-Abstract Disorder

Etiology

Like most personality disorders, there are many factors that may contribute to the development of symptoms. Because the symptoms are long lasting, the idea that symptoms begin to emerge in childhood or at least adolescence is well accepted. The negative consequences of such symptoms, however, may not show themselves until adulthood.

Symptoms

Symptoms are often present in adolescence and almost always by young adulthood. The Over-Abstract does those things that are known and comfortable to the Over-Abstract. The Over-Abstract resists and rejects anything that doesn't support their own experiential understanding of the world. If they perceive that something doesn't fit their model, they reject it as unimportant. They may be extremely caustic and insulting to others. They may become isolated from society. They may be paranoid about social organizations and institutions trying to control them. They may hurt people's feelings. They may be completely unaware of how to express their inner world to others in a meaningful way. They may be completely unaware of the type of communication that is often desirable and (to some degree) expected in an intimate relationship. If they are aware of the kinds of things that are appropriate to say and do to foster emotional bonding, they may be unable to appreciate the value of such actions. They may feel too vulnerable to express themselves in this fashion, and so reject the entire idea. If pushed beyond their comfort level to form commitments or emotional bonds, they may reject a relationship entirely. Under stress, they may show intense emotions that seem disproportionate to the situation. They may not recognize basic social principles, such as appropriate dress and general behavior.

Treatment

Expanding their world and experiences and expand their understanding of human expectations. Have them notice what people look like in different social situations. Notice their hair, makeup (or lack thereof), the condition of their clothes, their shoes, their facial expressions. When having a conversation with a friend or relative, have them spend at least half of the time talking about their friend or relative. Have them concentrate on really understanding where the other person is coming from with their concerns. Have them ask questions.

Prognosis

Over-Abstract Disorder is a life-long condition, and symptoms will likely be severe for life. Treatment's effectiveness is spotty at best, but some remarkable cases of recovery are apparent.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Another disorder that clearly corresponds to INTJ.

It sounds pretty much like Schizotypal, really.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Another disorder that clearly corresponds to INTJ.
    Indeed. I thought it was a joke at first.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP

wow that isn't a joke? thats pretty sad then. you know the more i think about this i find that DSM type disorders are bogus. its society's way of imposing regulations on society as a whole to enforce the "norm" as being "normal". Anything outside the norm must automatically therefore be a disorder.

I'm still waiting to see the The Greed & Selfishness Disorder and The Lack of Brain Utilization Disorder myself ..

MBTI
    INTJ

as soon as I read the title I knew it was going to be about some N type
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm surprised the recommended treatment doesn't include a lobotomy. :rolli:
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by alexkreuz View Post
    I'm still waiting to see the The Greed & Selfishness Disorder and The Lack of Brain Utilization Disorder myself ..
    These are too normal to be declared disorders.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    These are too normal to be declared disorders.
    True. It would more likely be the Brain Utilization Disorder.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think I have some of those symptoms... You don't think I'm crazy... do you? Oh dear, I should have known better than to have spent so much time indoors... I've driven myself to mental illness. I wonder how effective the treatment would really be, though, since I already notice/respond to those things outwardly, but still tend not to understand/value them internally?

Actually, I only have three or four symptoms, so I probably just have tenancies that way. Whew.

Quote Originally Posted by alexkreuz View Post
    wow that isn't a joke? thats pretty sad then. you know the more i think about this i find that DSM type disorders are bogus. its society's way of imposing regulations on society as a whole to enforce the "norm" as being "normal". Anything outside the norm must automatically therefore be a disorder.

That was kind-of my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    as soon as I read the title I knew it was going to be about some N type
    What's your guess for actual type? I am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I'm surprised the recommended treatment doesn't include a lobotomy. :rolli:
    Damn! Should have thought of that... as well as electroshock therapy, and Zoloft. Those are the universal cure-alls. :rolli:

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield