User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 36

  1. #21
    Senior Member Crabapple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Sounds INTJ to me-

    I totally thought y'all were serious. I thought the DSM was reclassifying some kind of mild autism or serious social blindness or something....

    Frankly, we (society) needs people who are more concerned with ideas than appearances.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    -- Unknown

  2. #22
    Senior Member Veneti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    XNTX
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    The Over-Abstract Disorder

    Symptoms

    Symptoms are often present in adolescence and almost always by young adulthood. The Over-Abstract does those things that are known and comfortable to the Over-Abstract. The Over-Abstract resists and rejects anything that doesn't support their own experiential understanding of the world. If they perceive that something doesn't fit their model, they reject it as unimportant. They may be extremely caustic and insulting to others. They may become isolated from society. They may be paranoid about social organizations and institutions trying to control them. They may hurt people's feelings. They may be completely unaware of how to express their inner world to others in a meaningful way. They may be completely unaware of the type of communication that is often desirable and (to some degree) expected in an intimate relationship. If they are aware of the kinds of things that are appropriate to say and do to foster emotional bonding, they may be unable to appreciate the value of such actions. They may feel too vulnerable to express themselves in this fashion, and so reject the entire idea. If pushed beyond their comfort level to form commitments or emotional bonds, they may reject a relationship entirely. Under stress, they may show intense emotions that seem disproportionate to the situation. They may not recognize basic social principles, such as appropriate dress and general behavior.
    Hmm... An intellectual anarchist or a university student.

    Sounds like the "patient" is following a normal scientific process of rejecting information that is not supportable.

    Everyone should be median normal.. Those outside this should have a lobotomy.

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    The Over-Abstract Disorder

    Treatment

    Expanding their world and experiences and expand their understanding of human expectations. Have them notice what people look like in different social situations. Notice their hair, makeup (or lack thereof), the condition of their clothes, their shoes, their facial expressions. When having a conversation with a friend or relative, have them spend at least half of the time talking about their friend or relative. Have them concentrate on really understanding where the other person is coming from with their concerns. Have them ask questions.
    Obviously they must therefore be unhappy and require conforming to modal expectations of society. How about just introducing them to others of a similar orientation. Obviously the treatment advised is being dispensed to various minority groups including gay people etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    The Over-Abstract Disorder

    Prognosis

    Over-Abstract Disorder is a life-long condition, and symptoms will likely be severe for life. Treatment's effectiveness is spotty at best, but some remarkable cases of recovery are apparent.
    Lol... HOWEVER, many rationals really do over analyse situations and perceive others to think as logically as they do, in personal relationships it can therefore fry their brain unless they are dealing with another rational.

    Just maybe Psych majors are ever in search of bring new conditions to the table, bit like drug companies…. Nobody is normal, everybody requires care, you’ve ALL got problems.

  3. #23
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Why would an INTJ be anymore appreciative of emotional attachments? I'd assume they'd be worse, since their J function makes them more uptight.

    Ni is the function that creates internal worlds and perceives imagined slights, which would attribute itself to INTJ. The Ni type is the most susceptible to paranoid and schizophrenic behavior.

    INTP analyzes and understands the world around them from a detached perspective -- using their dominant Ti. As Ps, the IxTP would, in theory, be open to suggestions and less unbending.
    INTJ's functions are Ni Te Fi Se. INTP's functions are Ti Ne Si Fe. Fi is INTJ's third functinon while Fe is INTP's forth. Emotional attachments (to people) have to do with F as opposed to T. P/J is not of much importance.

    Ni does perceive imagined slights, but since INTJ has perception as it's primary function it is still more grounded in reality than an INTP (or INFP for that matter). Introverted perception is mostly passive, while introverted judging is active. INxP's actively create their own complete internal realities, and they can (and do) retreat into them, often prefering them to reality. This is the a typical INxP I am referring to. A typical INTJ actually wants to be correct and is more willing to change their thinking when shown evidence. INTP's want to be logical though, and they often judge every perception against their elaborate internal framework.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  4. #24
    Senior Member Recluse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    213

    Default

    The quintessential personality disorder of an INTP:
    Schizoid personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    When I was much younger, I was described as having this ridiculous "disorder." What's wrong--or unnatural, for that matter--with preferring the life of the mind to a life of action and interaction? Where are the disorders for overly extroverted people? Instead, they get the pleasant-sounding moniker "social butterfly."

    I assume an INTJ would be most likely to be described as having the Paranoid personality disorder. The Over-Abstract one, were it real, could be applied to either type, based on different parts of the description.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

  5. #25
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    The quintessential personality disorder of an INTP:
    Schizoid personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    When I was much younger, I was described as having this ridiculous "disorder." What's wrong--or unnatural, for that matter--with preferring the life of the mind to a life of action and interaction? Where are the disorders for overly extroverted people? Instead, they get the pleasant-sounding moniker "social butterfly."

    I assume an INTJ would be most likely to be described as having the Paranoid personality disorder. The Over-Abstract one, were it real, could be applied to either type, based on different parts of the description.
    INTJ is more Schizotypal.

    Paranoid personality disorder is more ENxP. (And from personal experience, ENxPs are quite paranoid.)

    And in regards to functions, Fe is desire to connect with others, while Fi is to make decisions based on personal desires.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Recluse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    213

    Default

    What's your reasoning on INTJs being schizotypal? Seems more INFX to me.
    Last edited by Recluse; 09-07-2007 at 08:46 PM. Reason: clarification
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

  7. #27
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    What's your reasoning on INTJs being schizotypal? Seems more INFX to me.
    Because INTJs are less concerned about how they come across to other people.

    INFx corresponds better to Avoidant.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Recluse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    213

    Default

    What about the irrational beliefs in such things as clairvoyance, telepathy, and a sixth sense?

    Schizotypal Personality Disorder
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

  9. #29
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    What about the irrational beliefs in such things as clairvoyance, telepathy, and a sixth sense?

    Schizotypal Personality Disorder
    Illogical, unworldly, and contradictory belief systems are products of Ni. Schizotypal has correlation with INxJ types, but it's likely more common in INTJ. The INFJ, whose Fe brings a relationships orientation, corresponds better to Avoidant. Like Schizotypal, Avoidant is also into magical thinking, but Avoidant's magical thinking revolves more around people -- think of the starving romantic stereotype. Schizotypal, on the other hand, revolves around systems, a T trait.

  10. #30

    Default Since the fun(arguing) has stopped...

    Form this page, I edited the list of potential "problem areas" to get "Symptoms", and the "Solutions" area to get the "Treatment".

    Original Problem Areas

    • The INTP gets "stuck in a rut" and only does those things that are known and comfortable to the INTP.
    • The INTP resists and rejects anything that doesn't support their own experiential understanding of the world. If they perceive that something is not logical, they reject it as unimportant.
    • They reject people who think or live differently than themselves.
    • They may be extremely caustic and insulting to others.
    • They may become isolated from society.
    • They may become overly paranoid about social organizations and institutions trying to control them.
    • They may unknowingly or uncaringly hurt people's feelings.
    • They may be completely unaware of how to express their inner world to others in a meaningful way.
    • They may be completely unaware of the type of communication that is often desireable and (to some degree) expected in an intimate relationship. If they are aware of the kinds of things that are appropriate to say and do to foster emotional bonding, they may be unable to appreciate the value of such actions. They may feel too vulnerable to express themselves in this fashion, and so reject the entire idea.
    • If pushed beyond their comfort level to form commitments or emotional bonds, they may reject a relationship entirely.
    • Under stress, they may show intense emotions that seem disproportionate to the situation.
    • They may not recognize basic social principles, such as appropriate dress and general behavior.
    Symptoms

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Symptoms are often present in adolescence and almost always by young adulthood. The Over-Abstract does those things that are known and comfortable to the Over-Abstract. The Over-Abstract resists and rejects anything that doesn't support their own experiential understanding of the world. If they perceive that something doesn't fit their model, they reject it as unimportant. They may be extremely caustic and insulting to others. They may become isolated from society. They may be paranoid about social organizations and institutions trying to control them. They may hurt people's feelings. They may be completely unaware of how to express their inner world to others in a meaningful way. They may be completely unaware of the type of communication that is often desirable and (to some degree) expected in an intimate relationship. If they are aware of the kinds of things that are appropriate to say and do to foster emotional bonding, they may be unable to appreciate the value of such actions. They may feel too vulnerable to express themselves in this fashion, and so reject the entire idea. If pushed beyond their comfort level to form commitments or emotional bonds, they may reject a relationship entirely. Under stress, they may show intense emotions that seem disproportionate to the situation. They may not recognize basic social principles, such as appropriate dress and general behavior.
    Original Solutions

    To grow as an individual, the INTP needs to focus on taking in as much information as possible through Extraverted Intuition. He or she needs to allow themself to get into situations that they aren't necessarily comfortable with, or that are different from the situations that they would normally choose in life. The INTP learns from experience, so the best way for the INTP to grow as a person is to open him or herself to new experiences. Be aware of the tendency to want to run out and do something "new" that is actually just a different opportunity to exercise a known skill. Your task, as a person interested in personal growth, is to understand the world in a truly objective fashion, and how you fit into the world, rather than how the world fits into your life.

    The INTP should also pay close attention to their motivations when perceiving new information. Are they perceiving with an open mind or with an agenda? Are they seeking to truly understand something, or are they more concerned with turning the information into a logical conclusion? Seek first to understand, then to judge.

    Treatment

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Expanding their world and experiences and expand their understanding of human expectations. Have them notice what people look like in different social situations. Notice their hair, makeup (or lack thereof), the condition of their clothes, their shoes, their facial expressions. When having a conversation with a friend or relative, have them spend at least half of the time talking about their friend or relative. Have them concentrate on really understanding where the other person is coming from with their concerns. Have them ask questions.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Similar Threads

  1. Personality Disorders and P-Types
    By heart in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-11-2012, 09:14 PM
  2. [NF] NFs and Personality disorders
    By Bee in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 05-24-2009, 07:04 PM
  3. Personality Disorders: Moral or Medical?
    By proteanmix in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-08-2009, 06:47 PM
  4. Hi! another new person!
    By cascadeco in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 04:21 PM
  5. MB & Personality disorders(& near disorders)
    By artie in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 05:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO