User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default Women wearing hats, does it bother you?

Okay, the snob thread brought back all my irritations about people who manage to notice every little thing about other people and just have to stare and can't keep their freaking yaps shut about it.

I always wear a hat in the warm weather when I go outside to protect my face from sun. It's usually just this white ladies cap, looks like a man's ball cap but it's styled more feminine.

People make stupid comments about that it's odd to see a woman wearing a hat. :steam: Good grief, who can be bothered to even notice if someone else is wearing a damned hat? Much less come over and comment? This one woman wouldn't shut up about it either, started like aruging with me at this garage sale.

She says (by way of hello): "I've seen you wearing that hat before."
    Me: "Huh?"
    She says: "Don't you know, women aren't supposed to wear hats anymore?"
    I said: "some women wear hats, I am wearing one right now."
    "No, most women don't wear hats."
    "I don't really care."
    "You should. Don't you know people talk about you, they wonder why you wear a hat?"
    "Well...thank you."

My friend would be all nervous about the hat business, saying she wished she felt comfortable wearing a hat to limit the sun exposure on her face, but she didn't, felt people would stare at her. I am sure this makes the fashion police happy and warm inside, to hear verification that someone was pressured into behaving properly by the worry that someone would stare. I hate to reveal this information to them because of this, but oh well.

Anyway, that was about four years ago in Indiana. Now here there's this man who is like lurking up on his balcony if I go outside with it on. "Oh your wearing that hat again" laughs. I try to change the subject, maybe he's just being friendly? Nope, he just yammers on about how strange it is for a woman to wear a hat and am I afraid of the sun, etc. What business is it of his? Why bother me with such ridiculous nonsense? Why is he always lurking up there, just waiting to pounce with his stupid nonsense? Doesn't he have a life?

I really don't care what they think, I just get annoyed at having to deal with them talking (complaining) to me about it, I wish they'd learn to keep their mouths shut about their petty fashion worries...I just want to come and go and be left alone...unless someone really wants to be friendly and talk about rational things, but I can't understand fashion police.

So to the fashion police who may be posting here (and I know you are!):

Would you stone people who disobey your notions of proper attire if we lived in another time? Does it drive you crazy that you can't now?

Who has the time or energy to worry about what others are wearing? Does your own life suffer when you do this?

Do you lay in bed at night shuddering in horror over what others wear and trying to think up new ways to pressure them into obeying your notions of fashion?

Have you ever tried keeping your yap shut about it?

Did you ever consider that you're extremely annoying?

If I could be bothered, I would get a large hat with lots of fake fruit and a bird's nest or something to drive these people more crazy, but you know that'd be too heavy on my head and I'd hate to spend the money on it.

MBTI
    IsTP

I think it's sexy.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    ISFJ

I once saw a guy on the street wearing nothing but trunks in the winter. I thought it was cool so....

Sniffles

No not necessarily, depends on how ugly the hat in question is.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    No not necessarily, depends on how ugly the hat in question is.
    To be clear here, not talking about men selecting women for dates, I am talking about just going about your own business and some women is wearing a hat. Would it bother you so much that you felt a need to stare or march over there and inform here that she is violating all federal and international standards of fashion?

MBTI
    IsTP

Nope.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

A woman wearing ANYTHING bothers me.

/sleaze

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    A woman wearing ANYTHING bothers me.

/sleaze
    Okay, well say you're at a nudist colony then and all the dudes are wearing their ballcaps and feedstore hats and there's one chick wearing a hat, would that bother you enough to beat feet over there and tell her she's done wrong?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Anything less is settling.

Heart I have no idea wtf is up with that woman. I wear hats all the time, I love them, they're functional, and they make me look 10x better than a humid day where my medusa snakes are all irritated and attacking my eyeballs and people around me.

I say wear your hat with pride and the next time someone does that, you could say "Don't you realize that's FAR older women that don't wear hats? I just didn't want to look as old and worn out.. "
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Wait, what's wrong with hats?
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin