User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    No, I am not mad. I did not mean offense. It is just that you most often seem to be very analytical in your posts on here.
    Oh, okay. But I think you might be mistaking analytical ability and intellect (or even education and curiosity) for the valuation of logic over emotion. I don't care more about truth and efficiency than emotions, nor do I find it difficult to express emotion.

In addition, I have many preferences that aren't logical, and feel no need to subject them to logic. Also, when I play video games, I pay attention to the interactions in storyline, noticing the character's emotional interactions, thinking about how the events affect the characters, and even experiencing emotion with them. I believe a thinking type's curiosity and interest would be focused mostly on the strategy and self-challenge.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    That was what I meant, BlueWing. Wouldn't a thinking type pursue their objectives logically despite the feelings of others, possibly even themselves? And the answer is, I would not. So, I am not a thinking type.
    Its not a dichotomy. A thinking type would be influenced more by their impersonal objectives than by the personal. Not that he/she wouldnt be influenced by the personal at all.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

heart on fire

Oh, okay. But I think you might be mistaking analytical ability and intellect (or even education and curiosity) for the valuation of logic over emotion. I don't care more about truth and efficiency than emotions, nor do I find it difficult to express emotion.

In addition, I have many preferences that aren't logical, and feel no need to subject them to logic. Also, when I play video games, I pay attention to the interactions in storyline, noticing the character's emotional interactions, thinking about how the events affect the characters, and even experiencing emotion with them. I believe a thinking type's curiosity and interest would be focused mostly on the strategy and self-challenge.
    This is why I said that it would be hard to say if you were a feeling or thinker based solely on your posts here. I would have to know you in your daily life, all I was really saying was that I feel that you are definately an INxJ, but unsure between the T and F.. I would never have presumed to say this unless asked though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    This is why I said that it would be hard to say if you were a feeling or thinker based solely on your posts here. I would have to know you in your daily life, all I was really saying was that I feel that you are definately an INxJ, but unsure between the T and F.. I would never have presumed to say this unless asked though.
    Oh, well, I'm not offended, I'm just a little surprised someone would think I was an INTJ. I had no idea I came across like that. If anything, thank you for telling me that. I'll try to rectify it.

heart on fire

Oh, well, I'm not offended, I'm just a little surprised someone would think I was an INTJ. I had no idea I came across like that. If anything, thank you for telling me that. I'll try to rectify it.
    I don't think you really need to rectify anything. I am certainly no expert on this and you seem just fine as you are. You know how you are in your whole life and that is what is important.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I say Ti, mostly based on the thread where you described the dilemma of whether or not to sit in the chair. You seem to want to apply a type of logic to social norms and etiquette. It's like your Fe is wired into Ti.
    Wouldn't you need some type of logic to comprehend and react to social norms/rules? There isn't anything else that would enable you to adhere to them precisely enough for everyone's satisfaction.

I'm not sure how developed your Ne is and I know your Se is very underdeveloped. I don't think your Ti really interacts with these functions. I think it somehow interacts with Fe, Ni, and Si. I wouldn't consider you to be the archetype of an INFJ, but I think that is the type that describes you the closest.
    If I were trying to correct my potentially dangerous lack of extroverted perception, would it make more sense for me to develop Se or Ne? Se is listed in my functional order, so it might be the only one consciously accessible (although I don't exactly relish using it). On the other hand, Ne is the opposite attitude of my theoretical dominant, and may be easier to develop. How should this work, exactly? Is it possible to consciously use functions that aren't listed in your functional order, or can those functions only work unconsciously?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I might have hinted at it before, but all bets are off if an introvert [I'm not sure about an extrovert] grows up in a stilted/oppressive environment.

You are not going to see "natural" type development, you are going to see development of some aspects (if not all) of all of the introverted functions because the personal has to live... and so they create their own abstract/internalized world to retreat to and live in.

Usually, if they NEED to interact with others, they will develop at least one extroverted function and this is their gateway to the outer world. In general, this will probably be their secondary... but I'm not sure if that carries through for everyone. It depends on the circumstance.

Hence, the confusing type readings.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, that was interesting and sounds potentially correct, but it didn't quite answer my question. Unless you meant that my extroverted perception has been damaged in such a way that it's no longer usable, and I'll have to compensate for this by being extremely cautious? Or did you mean that the use of it would be unnecessary, and I shouldn't worry? Or were you saying that it wouldn't necessarily follow the typical pattern, although it might still work?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Wouldn't you need some type of logic to comprehend and react to social norms/rules? There isn't anything else that would enable you to adhere to them precisely enough for everyone's satisfaction.
    Based on what I normally observe of Fe, it's not something I would ever describe as logical. I believe it has more to do with bonding with the people around you. You connect with a person as you share thoughts and experiences. It seems to be based more on experiences than logic.

I speak more from observation than experience. My Fe is weak, but my Ti is pretty strong. In general people with strong Ti have weak Fe and vice versa. The two functions do not normally go together, but in your case it seems like they do in some way.

If I were trying to correct my potentially dangerous lack of extroverted perception, would it make more sense for me to develop Se or Ne? Se is listed in my functional order, so it might be the only one consciously accessible (although I don't exactly relish using it). On the other hand, Ne is the opposite attitude of my theoretical dominant, and may be easier to develop. How should this work, exactly? Is it possible to consciously use functions that aren't listed in your functional order, or can those functions only work unconsciously?
    I suppose the answer to this depends on who you ask. After looking at the various results of the test which measures the eight cognitive functions I've noticed that most INJ's and ENP's seem to use both Ni and Ne well. (Although INJ's prefer Ni and ENP's prefer Ne, naturally). I think the easiest way to develop Ne is to have conversations with people about more abstract, theorectical/hypothetical topics. I'm not sure if a message board counts though. I think actually talking with someone (or a group) in person would be better.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Based on what I normally observe of Fe, it's not something I would ever describe as logical. I believe it has more to do with bonding with the people around you. You connect with a person as you share thoughts and experiences. It seems to be based more on experiences than logic.

I speak more from observation than experience. My Fe is weak, but my Ti is pretty strong. In general people with strong Ti have weak Fe and vice versa. The two functions do not normally go together, but in your case it seems like they do in some way.
    Well, they are opposites. But I consider Fe to be adjusting/understanding an internal (emotional) system via external (social) rules, and Ti to be adjusting/understanding an external system via internal rules. I'm capable of either to some degree. I don't know if I use Ti well, although I'm sure I've used it. The descriptions of it make it look too basic to be a correct assessment of how it works in people who potentially have it as a strong skill. They make it look like some kind of basic analysis/categorization skill almost everyone would need to have to get through life, and I'm sure that's not the case.

I suppose the answer to this depends on who you ask. After looking at the various results of the test which measures the eight cognitive functions I've noticed that most INJ's and ENP's seem to use both Ni and Ne well. (Although INJ's prefer Ni and ENP's prefer Ne, naturally). I think the easiest way to develop Ne is to have conversations with people about more abstract, theorectical/hypothetical topics. I'm not sure if a message board counts though. I think actually talking with someone (or a group) in person would be better.
    I usually talk about theory, but I've heard Ni works differently from Ne. Ni is following one perspective/possibility, and then switching to another. Ne is being aware of all the possibilities inherent in the given situation at one time, with somewhat less awareness of where those possibilities lead, as far as I know. Basically, people with Ne have the ability to perceive several ideas at once, but with less depth. Is that how it works for you, or is it different than I've heard?