User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Who else disapproves of Uberfuhrer's previous new avatar?

I was just reading and posting, when I saw that really underdressed lady that made me almost lose my lunch. I mean, seeing someone dressed like that makes me nauseous. I've decided to disable image loading in my browser.

I know that I need to be tolerant of people with different values and tastes, but I don't see anything wrong with complaining a little to others who might agree, especially about something as morbid as that. I just want to know if I'm the only one bothered.
    Last edited by Athenian200; 08-15-2007 at 07:03 PM.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

It's ugly-disproportionate, but not too bothersome; clearly not real.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I would not want to be her when the hair starts growing back, but otherwise, meh.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I would not want to be her when the hair starts growing back, but otherwise, meh.
    Brazilian.

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I was just reading and posting, when I saw that really underdressed lady that made me almost lose my lunch. I mean, seeing someone dressed like that makes me nauseous. I've decided to disable image loading in my browser.

I know that I need to be tolerant of people with different values and tastes, but I don't see anything wrong with complaining a little to others who might agree, especially about something as morbid as that. I just want to know if I'm the only one bothered.
    It's certainly a whole lot less offensive than his last one. I can't get up in arms about a girl in a bikini that isn't even a real girl.

heart on fire

Maybe he could switch it to Hitler in a bikini?

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Maybe he could switch it to Hitler in a bikini?
    That might be fun. I'm curious if his lip is the only place he has a funny little mustache.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Uberfuhrer's new avatar is a great example of that phenomenon, the name of which I can't recall, where the more realistic something approximating human appearance becomes the more the elements of "unrealism" make it unsettling. What the hell was that called?
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Uberfuhrer's new avatar is a great example of that phenomenon, the name of which I can't recall, where the more realistic something approximating human appearance becomes the more the elements of "unrealism" make it unsettling. What the hell was that called?
    I think what you're referring to is hyperrealism. It had its tipping point with "The Polar Express". I think the basic theory goes that animation is by definition an impressionistic medium, so any attempt to mimic realism in the form of humans or human behavior highlights the unreality of animation and causes a disturbing reaction. Basically, we don't mind Elmer Fudd getting shot in the face by Daffy Duck because he's so exaggerated in his appearance and mannerisms that we instinctively understand it isn't real. But if Elmer were hyperrealistic and Daffy shot him, we'd recoil in horror.

I've never understood the point of hyperrealism. Animation allows narrative conventions like slapstick violence and the subversion of physical laws that don't work in hyperrealism. If you're going to toss away all the creative freedoms and visual language specific to animation, why not just shoot something live action? I guess the only reason is because the technology is there, and people want to show it off. And in filmmaking, that's pretty much the worst reason for ever doing anything.

MBTI
    INTJ

I noticed it was new and then had to process that I would now recognized his posts by his new avatar (I hate when people change avatars, it confuses me).

I suggest, though, if you don't like it, you can either block his posts or turn off avatars for the forum. I've had to do that from work when visiting a few places where the avatars were X-rated.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.