User Tag List

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Default Bill Gates frees swarm of mosquitos into crowd.

I thought this was funny. Gates just went up a few notches in my book.

Bill Gates playfully frees swarm of mosquitoes

LONG BEACH, California (AFP) Microsoft founder turned disease-battling philanthropist Bill Gates loosed mosquitoes at an elite Technology, Entertainment, Design (TED) Conference to make a point about the deadly sting of malaria.

"Malaria is spread by mosquitoes," Gates said while opening a jar onstage at a gathering known to attract technology kings, politicians, and Hollywood stars.

"I brought some. Here I'll let them roam around. There is no reason only poor people should be infected."

Gates waited a minute or so before assuring the audience the liberated insects were malaria-free.

TED curator Chris Anderson fired back at the legendary computer software maker, joking that the headline for the video of his talk to be posted online at Ted.com would be "Gates releases more bugs into the world."

As he has in travels on behalf of his eponymous charitable foundation, Gates detailed the strides made in dealing with malaria in affluent countries and the need to fight the disease in impoverished nations.
    Bill Gates playfully frees swarm of mosquitoes - Yahoo! News

heart on fire

Stories like this one, make it a lot less funny. Involunatry injections.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-syringes.html

'Flying syringe' mosquitos, other ideas get Gates funding on Yahoo! Health

A group of mosquitos are shown inside a net used for research purposes at the center for the disease control department of health (CDC) in Taipei in 2006. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation awarded 100,000 dollars each on Wednesday to scientists in 22 countries including funding for a Japanese proposal to turn mosquitos into "flying syringes" delivering vaccines.(AFP/File/Sam Yeh)

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Stories like this one, make it a lot less funny. Involunatry injections.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-syringes.html

'Flying syringe' mosquitos, other ideas get Gates funding on Yahoo! Health

A group of mosquitos are shown inside a net used for research purposes at the center for the disease control department of health (CDC) in Taipei in 2006. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation awarded 100,000 dollars each on Wednesday to scientists in 22 countries including funding for a Japanese proposal to turn mosquitos into "flying syringes" delivering vaccines.(AFP/File/Sam Yeh)
    If there is anyone I trust to have flying mosquitos syringes, it's Japan. I wonder what their reasoning is though. I've heard about Japanese culture being a lot less fearful of technology getting out of hand. In Japan, robots are often depicted as heroes, while in America where they are often shown turning on us.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    If there is anyone I trust to have flying mosquitos syringes, it's Japan. I wonder what their reasoning is though. I've heard about Japanese culture being a lot less fearful of technology getting out of hand. In Japan, robots are often depicted as heroes, while in America where they are often shown turning on us.
    I can't see any way to be comfortable with this sort of thing. It's unavoidable, but still...:eek:

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The Japanese love robots

This is scary though. CYBERDYNE Inc A real company in Japan making robotic exoskeletons.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I can't see any way to be comfortable with this sort of thing. It's unavoidable, but still...:eek:
    I suppose it has the potential for misuse, but it also has the potential to be used for good things. If I could choose between flu vaccination via hypodermic syringe or mosquito bite, I would most definitely take the latter.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.