12 Last

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Default Clearing snow off driveway?

Why do people obsess over this? Is it so you can get in your car and drive somewhere or just the thing to do? I am Miami originally and really do not understand.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Yeah, so you can get your car in/out but moreover, because some municipalities *require* it. Where I live the local township has regulations that snow must be off the public sidewalks within 24 hours or else they can fine you. (I doubt that gets enforced much, but the law is there). If you're doing the sidewalks you might as well do the driveway (since the bottom of the driveway is part of the public sidewalk).

Additionally, if it's going to get above freezing w/ the sun out and then freeze again overnight, clearing the driveway may allow the driveway to dry faster to avoid a solid sheet of ice forming overnight (or make the ice much thinner)--which makes it far more difficult for your car to get in & out and can be dangerous for walking. Shoveling the driveway and then applying rock salt to its surface afterward is an even better solution.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I live in CT and it snows here and I don't get it either. But I do it because GF will flip out and mostly likely fall and break something, and I'll never hear the end of it.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Thanks Spirilis.

Jock, lol! Sorry, but I'm one of those sickos who laughs when people fall. ;P
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    xxxx

I was thinking about this the other day when I was shovelling. You have to shovel the sidewalk so people can walk around the street (laws and all that), but your own driveway is optional.

Where I live we pretty much have snow on the ground from November till March. If it only snows a little you are fine but if you didn't shovel and you got a big dump of snow your own driveway would be impossible to drive on. Shovelling it then would involve chipping all the packed snow and ice, so it's just less hassle to shovel it on a regular basis.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Thanks Spirilis.

Jock, lol! Sorry, but I'm one of those sickos who laughs when people fall. ;P
    Oh so is she, as long as it's someone else. If it happens to her it's clearly my fault.

I don't shovel until the driveway becomes nonfunctional. Our typical few inches here and there doesn't hurt anything. I don't shovel our sidewalk. The city simply says we are responsible for doing this, but we live next to a city-owned open area, and they don't shovel the sidewalk either.

Others have stated some reasons why it might be good to shovel. Another is the melting and freezing of water on the driveway enlarges existing cracks and holes, especially on asphalt.

Disclaimer:
    My avatar is not a photo of me shoveling my driveway! I'm holding a hiking stick.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

I shovel behind my car so I can get out of the driveway since my driveway is a slight hill..otherwise i'm not going anywhere!..thankfully I live in the woods so no sidewalks for me to shovel

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I don't shovel until the driveway becomes nonfunctional. Our typical few inches here and there doesn't hurt anything. I don't shovel our sidewalk. The city simply says we are responsible for doing this, but we live next to a city-owned open area, and they don't shovel the sidewalk either.

Others have stated some reasons why it might be good to shovel. Another is the melting and freezing of water on the driveway enlarges existing cracks and holes, especially on asphalt.
    I generally don't shovel much either (unless, like last year, when I did the "oh, sure, I can get my car into the garage through this" bit, got stuck, and wound up digging my car out of my own driveway). If you drive over it though, it does tend to turn into a sheet of ice that takes forever to melt (my driveway's on the north side of the house). Good point about the cracking, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Disclaimer:
    My avatar is not a photo of me shoveling my driveway! I'm holding a hiking stick.
    Uh huh. Yeah. Either that, or you're just using a *very* inefficient shovel .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I actually ENJOY shoveling snow- it's good exercize!

Otherwise though, yeah, some cities require it and some people don't like to walk through the snow on the way to the car and such
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett