User Tag List

Page 50 of 141 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's hungry?

9w1 sp
    INTj Ni

cedar plank salmon from wegmans, just ate it, mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Lots of water soon after.

salad: baby spinach, raspberry vinaigrette, english stilton, candied pecans, slices of pear, dried cranberries...

eating bugs out of hair. Array prplchknz's Avatar

egg in a frame topped with cheddar ketchup and hot sauce.

by @magpie

I think I want a cherry tomato and portabello omelet!

I could use a cheezburger. Where's Jeffster? Yesterday at lunch I ordered a pizza slice and it had an egg on it. Sooooo gross.

I need another way to eat pork like I need a hole in the head. Pork has long found a place at the breakfast bar, the lunch counter and the dinner table. If nerd-rock band Primus is to be believed, it even makes a tasty beverage. Finally, the other white meat's relentless march to assimilate all mealtimes like a culinary Borg has claimed the final frontier - dessert.

I bring you...Mo's Bacon Bar. More accurately, top-notch chocolatier Vosges brings you this defiantly odd confection. I know what you're saying. "Bacon and chocolate? Ewwwww!" Don't worry. All questions will be answered, all fears will be allayed. I admit, I was taken aback at first. However, I consistently enjoy sweet and salty tastes together. Chocolate covered pretzels are among my favorite treats, and when I was a child I enjoyed the uniquely Philadelphian ice cream parlor tradition of stocking each table with pretzel sticks for dipping. So why not bacon and chocolate? Vosges founder Katrina Markoff, a sweet treat in her own right, says she was inspired by childhood memories of chocolate chip pancakes and bacon mixing in pools of maple syrup.

Enough talk. How does the bar taste? Well, let's look at the description given by Vosges:

Breathe. Engage your five senses, close your eyes and inhale deeply. Be in the present moment, notice the color of the chocolate, the glossy shine. Rub your thumb over the chocolate bar to release the aromas of smoked applewood bacon flirting with deep milk chocolate. Snap off just a tiny piece and place it in your mouth, let the lust of salt and sweet coat your tongue.

Wow. Frankly, after all that I don't know if I want to eat it or get a motel room with it. I dutifully followed the instructions, taking my time to smell and enjoy the candy fully. When you first put it in your mouth, you're immediately hit with salt, smoke and sweet chocolate. It's a little strange at first, because salty/sweet snacks don't typically include the smoky sensation. It sort of reminded me of the popular chocolate/chile pepper flavor combination. Once the chocolate starts to melt in your mouth, the bacon taste starts to assert itself. The bacon is strewn throughout the bar in small bits, and if you let the chocolate dissolve in your mouth the bacon slowly takes over the flavor. It's a two-stage flavor sensation...first chocolate with some salt, and then bacon with a little sweetness and chocolate. The first bite or two left me a little ambivalent, but every bite made me like it more. I think the key to the success of the candy is getting the bacon/chocolate ratio right. Too little and it will just taste like salty chocolate. Too much and it will be like dipping a strip of bacon into some chocolate. Mo's Bacon Bar gets it just right.

Grade: A
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

I thought only guys were obsessed with bacon. They make bacon lollipops. MacGuffin infuses his own bacon vodka. Did I mention the bacon lollipops?

Salty and sweet go together and fat is where the (good) taste is at, so I could imagine bacon is a good addition to a lot of meals.

Isnt' is Homer Simpson who says, "Mmmmmm...Bacon"

I'm fond of BLTs. The crisp texure is what gets me.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Everyone likes bacon! Well, except for the few who don't.

However, Homer Simpson's approval is nothing to put on the mantel. After all, he once said, " goo."
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Isn't it Homer Simpson who says, "Mmmmmm...Bacon"
    And what we eat today walks and talks tomorrow.

Today I feel like snacking on some cheese. How about some nice Havarti?