User Tag List

First 3139404142435191 Last

Thread: Who's hungry?

MBTI
    GONE

Default Needlessly wordy food entry

When I think German and sweet, I think of Stollen.

I love holiday pastries and 'feast day' foods!

Today we celebrated a birthday (not mine) so I had

Artichoke Rings
    Shrimp, Scallop, and Mango Salad Scones
    Duck Spring Rolls
    Crab Cakes on Greens with Asparagus and Sweet Corn

The artichoke rings were disappointing. Looked like thick crispy onion rings but were heavy and tasteless artichoke heart instead. Or if not heart, the part of the artichoke that is, exactly, tasteless and heavy. The dipping sauce which was a ranch spin off didn't help. I also had a taste of artichoke cream soup. While that was much tastiers, I've had enough artichoke for a while.

The salad cones were a huge disappointment. Like most bad seafood salad, tasted like too much mayonnaise with bits and pieces of chewy and crunchy stuff. The cones tasted like an unwaffelized version of an ice cream cone. The presentation was nice though, served on a metal 'cone tree'. But I can't eat presentation.

The duck spring rolls were very tasty, but not really spring rolls. They were served flat and cut into quarters.

The crab cakes were surprisingly good and NOT heavy. Turned out to basically be a salad with 2 crab cakes. Served with lime chipotle sauce.

I've had crab cakes in the DC/MD/VA area, and they were usually way too thick and heavy and tasted doughy. As in tasteless.

But these CA style ones had zing to them! And went well with asparagus.

That is all for my mini-food log for today.

Oh wait, I totally pigged out on a mini dessert sampler including the best chocolate cake I've had in years, creme brulee with crystalized sugar as thick as window panes, fried banana sundae, strawberry shortcake, and an expresso bread pudding that tasted like overmicrowaved bundt cake (let down). Overall, very very nice.

Oh yeah, and scrumptious duck. I don't remember ever having non-Asian style duck. This duck was roasted and not oily at all! No fatty skin. Usually the fatty skin moisturizes my chapped lips for days. Hahhah. This duck totally tasted different without the oil, you could actually taste the duck which was very tender like a cross between beef and chicken.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    The crab cakes were surprisingly good and NOT heavy. Turned out to basically be a salad with 2 crab cakes. Served with lime chipotle sauce.

I've had crab cakes in the DC/MD/VA area, and they were usually way too thick and heavy and tasted doughy. As in tasteless.

But these CA style ones had zing to them! And went well with asparagus.
    As a native Marylander, I am very picky about my crab cakes. The ones you get in restaurants are pale imitations of the true Maryland crab cake, now to be found only in Mom's kitchen. They fill them up with breadcrumbs and Old Bay seasoning, and hope you don't actually try to look for the crabmeat. It's like eating StoveTop Stuffing Loaf... it's gross.

The genuine article Maryland crabcake has just enough bread and egg in it to bind the big pieces of backfin crabmeat together, and has a rich savory peppery flavor.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Tonights dinner, Paella with wine.

Time is a delicate mistress.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Are you going to drink all that Bitch wine so you can become that bitch?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Hey, I've had that wine! It was good. I was a little disappointed it didn't make me bitchier, though.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Hey, I've had that wine! It was good. I was a little disappointed it didn't make me bitchier, though.
    You didn't drink enough of it
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    You didn't drink enough of it
    Actually... the more wine I drink, the nicer I get.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Me!!!

I live in Carlton Gardens park, and I live on a diet of Milk tea, Milo and grapes. (most of the time when im busy studying)

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I'm consuming a bottle of vitamin water while 5 slices of really thick pepper-crust bacon cook in the frying pan... Will be eating those soon, too.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Some Harry Potter jellybeans, anyone?