User Tag List

First 2735363738394787137 Last

Thread: Who's hungry?

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    My top tip for a healthy crumpet lunch. 3 of them, nicely toasted and just marmite (no butter). Healthy and delicious. I have it most days at work
    Marmite. Now there's an acquired/culturally specific taste if there ever was one. That and Vegemite...which is the same thing I'm guessing. I remember to me it just tasted very sharp, like vinegar.

Umeboshi, there's another acquired/culturally specific taste, though I like it better than Marmite.

I think 'sharpness' in general is something you either like or you don't.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

This is the best breakfast McDonald's has to offer:

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    My top tip for a healthy crumpet lunch. 3 of them, nicely toasted and just marmite (no butter). Healthy and delicious. I have it most days at work
    *dies* I love crumpets with marmite! Crumpets with butter are super-delicious (though I have to have LOTS of butter, all oozy and delicious.) but marmite is one of my favourite foods and always has been. Haven't had crumpets and marmite for ages and ages though =(
    Introverted: 100%
    INtuition: 95%
    Feeling: 58%
    Perceiving: 89%

5w4 sp/sx

INFP.gc

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Umeboshi, there's another acquired/culturally specific taste, though I like it better than Marmite.
    Cze, have you ever had tempeh?

I never have, but I think I'd like to try it sometime.

MBTI
    yupp

I actually like marmite, despite not being british. but I also love salt as a kid I loved eating pure salt I was weird.and having it twice in my life, wonder what that says about me as a person. I wonder if their is a support group I can join: "Support group for Americans who liked marmite after one taste"
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Marmite. Now there's an acquired/culturally specific taste if there ever was one. That and Vegemite...which is the same thing I'm guessing. I remember to me it just tasted very sharp, like vinegar.

I think 'sharpness' in general is something you either like or you don't.
    Marmite is indeed quite an acquired taste.. but if you can acquire it, it is amazingly healthy. They even do a version here with guinness added to it

Vegemite is more of a distant cousin than the same thing.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Cze, have you ever had tempeh?

I never have, but I think I'd like to try it sometime.
    Hmmm, you know I think I have. I've also had gluten. I might have even had Seitan slipped to me by a devious vegan.

It doesn't really matter to my tastebuds as I can't tell the differences between vegan protein.

It all tastes like tofu. Which means you can marinate the hell out of it and it will just taste like whatever you want it to, sans tell-tale texture, or eat it plain and it will taste like nothing really.

I probably have also had this.

Though I have to say, Westerners do really unappetizing things to Asian staples to create vegetarian meals. I remember I had a bowl of brown rice and 5 kinds of steamed algae in a wooden bowl at this boho yippie restaurant in the East Village in NYC. DIS-GUS-TING. Asian people do not eat like that. Not even ascetic monks would want to eat that (though they would anyway, being ascetic).

On the flip, Asian mom and pop operations in the states do a great job of creating fake meat Ameircan dishes, like vegan hot wings and vegan tuna fish sandwiches. It's about making the food TASTY and accessible so people actually want to eat it.

Speaking of acquired tastes, I eat a lot of these:

Marinated in spicy sauces. It's a pretty strong taste but I've liked them since I was a kid. They're perilla leaves more commonly referred to in the states by their Japanese name shiso

Thinking about it, the pungent factor isn't much different from Marmite. If I tell myself Marmite is good for me as Geoff says, I could probably acquire a taste for it...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Oberon

Today it's the salmon steak, I think.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    This is the best breakfast McDonald's has to offer:

mmm, nearly 100% of your daily cholesterol in your first meal!