User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    She does look a little sad, don't you think?

But her sadness is counter-point to her beautiful dress.

She belonged to a serving psycho-class that was required to hide its sadness - this serving class was made to feel ashamed of their sadness at their servitude.

But today the serving psycho-class all wear black.

You might say they are the black armband view of history.

Their depression is in our face as they serve us breakfast, lunch and dinner and even the odd coffee.

They even take their depression to the doctor's surgery where they are cured by a magic pill.

And the more adventurous self medicate - so they can give us a meth smile as they cater to our pleasures.

Yes, we are in the Age of Depression.

Depression has come out of the closet and flaunts itself in our restaurants and cafes.

And the experts tell us that Depression has reached epidemic proportions.

And we are surrounded by it - by the servers in black.
    You are absolutely spot on. The subject is of course a prostitute.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII?

Repartée [the witty kind]

MBTI
    ISFJ

Victor, are you high? I can't tell if there is an ounce of sincerity in your posts.

And I understood nothing in your first post. Defensive?

Are you trying to say that forum talk is a farce? Or what?

EDIT: And to answer the question I like both. Although I'm partial to intellectual conversation as far as internet forums go. Forums tend to give me the chance to discuss topics that don't often pop-up in real life and that I either don't have the time or the will or the context to discuss among friends and acquaintances. I learned a lot from serious online discussions over the years. I learned a new language (english), I learned about art, I learned about philosophy etc etc So it's about self-improvement too.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    My stance is that I enjoy both, but I grow tired of an excess of either and lose attention quickly.. One is not more desired or respected above another though.

Intellectual conversation seems to stimulate the thinking process and gives insight to other people's perspectives and educations, on the other hand you learn a lot more about a person and generally life itself is ran on mindless banter. It's easy, ground-level topics that cross all boundaries.

I think both are necessary when it comes to socializing, and it's unhealthy to dislike one or the other.

So I guess my question is: Why do you dislike one or the other and why? Or are ya'll like me and are content no matter which way the conversation bends?
    Well, I like mindless banter when I didn't have anything on my mind anyway, but it annoys me if I actually had something serious I wanted to discuss seriously.

MBTI
    xxxx

I like witty banter and deep intellectual discourse equally. I can switch gears in a heartbeat. It's usually easier to find banter than deep conversation though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Victor, are you high? I can't tell if there is an ounce of sincerity in your posts.
    That maybe because we have different cultural imperatives.

Or another way to put it is that we may make different cultural distinctions.

And naturally if our cultural distinctions are invisible to one another, we will misunderstand each other.

I presume that a fundamental cultural distinction of yours is between sincere and phoney. Particularly as you mention the word, sincerity.

Whereas a fundamental distinction I make is between amusing and boring. And so to say that something is boring we say, "The Queen is not amused".

I think our problem is that we are applying different distinctions to the same things. So what you think is sincere, I think is boring. And what you think is phoney, I think is amusing.

This is of course a comedy - quite like a Shakespearean comedy of misunderstanding.

And it is important not to let comedy degenerate into tragedy, by learning to appreciate one another and the quite different cultural distinctions we take for granted.

And let me remind you that stepping out of the taken for granted is called ecstasy.

And I understood nothing in your first post.
    Well, if the meaning of a post is its response, you are in the box seat.

You can determine the meaning of my post.

I think you are a meaning creating animal. So why not just create the meaning yourself?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Oh, I see. You're one of those people who are too attached to the forum persona they have devised for themselves and feel unsafe trying to be different once in a while I can live with that. But I'll have to take your posts with that extra grain of salt. Courtesy of Sytpg's own artistry, of course.

MBTI
    NICE

But I'll have to take your posts with that extra grain of salt. .
    Don't forget the pepper. Just as salt sterilises, it is the spice that makes the dish.

Embelish as you please.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Don't forget the pepper. Just as salt sterilises, it is the spice that makes the dish.

Embelish as you please.
    So much for a metaphor But I meant salt as something that provides "taste" too.