User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I enjoy intellectual conversation on forum, but only to read and see other peoples perspectives, as participation often requires too much energy.

I enjoy mindless banter for a good laugh and when braindead its the perfect way to unwind.

And I feel we've missed a category which occasionally does present itself on the forum but most often in PM's: self-reflective/emotionally deep conversation. It's often a spin-off of one of the two other categories, and gives a mix of the insights normally gathered in the other two categories. Unless fully braindead, this one is my favorite at any given time.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    My stance is that I enjoy both, but I grow tired of an excess of either and lose attention quickly.. One is not more desired or respected above another though.

Intellectual conversation seems to stimulate the thinking process and gives insight to other people's perspectives and educations, on the other hand you learn a lot more about a person and generally life itself is ran on mindless banter. It's easy, ground-level topics that cross all boundaries.

I think both are necessary when it comes to socializing, and it's unhealthy to dislike one or the other.

So I guess my question is: Why do you dislike one or the other and why? Or are ya'll like me and are content no matter which way the conversation bends?
    It's interesting - there are not two ways of writing here - there are three.

There is banter and there is the intellectual but forgotten among all this is the artistic.

Banter is plainly defensive and the intellectual is less obviously defensive. But defensive against what?

Against the artistic.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Good point.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's interesting - there are not two ways of writing here - there are three.

There is banter and there is the intellectual but forgotten among all this is the artistic.

Banter is plainly defensive and the intellectual is less obviously defensive. But defensive against what?

Against the artistic.
    Sounds defensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    How about drunk incoherent babbling?
    And how interesting that the artistic is often seen as incoherent babbling.

For instance you can look at a babbling brook and hear nothing but the incoherent. Or you can listen to a babbling brook and you can hear the most beautiful sounds - you can even hear the brook speaking to you - and you reply poetically - and the brook will sing counterpoint.

But it is this harmony - this freedom - that is instinctively hated by the defensive.

And here we have the banterers and the intellectuals in battle formation.

They show no shame. They are full of relentless energy. They defend, they defend and they defend again.

And behind their massive fortifications lies their depression.

And it must be hidden at all costs - even from themselves.

But they can't heip, they can't heip acting out their depression - they wear a fashionable costume - they wear black - and feel safe.

But the depression gnaws from within but they look around and see everyone is else is wearing black - black is cool.

And the brook babbles on, unheard - full of the clearest, coolest, dancing water

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And how interesting that the artistic is often seen as incoherent babbling.

For instance you can look at a babbling brook and hear nothing but the incoherent. Or you can listen to a babbling brook and you can hear the most beautiful sounds - you can even hear the brook speaking to you - and you reply poetically - and the brook will sing counterpoint.

But it is this harmony - this freedom - that is instinctively hated by the defensive.

And here we have the banterers and the intellectuals in battle formation.

They show no shame. They are full of relentless energy. They defend, they defend and they defend again.

And behind their massive fortifications lies their depression.

And it must be hidden at all costs - even from themselves.

But they can't heip, they can't heip acting out their depression - they wear a fashionable costume - they wear black - and feel safe.

But the depression gnaws from within but they look around and see everyone is else is wearing black - black is cool.

And the brook babbles on, unheard - full of the clearest, coolest, dancing water
    For some reason, I thought of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Good point.
    Point blank - I draw my pistol and fire point blank into the thickening crowd of Bs and Is, banterers and intellectuals.

Dada, my Dad said, Dada.

Fire your pistol, he said, into a random crowd of people - perfect Dada, he said, perfect Dada.

But to make a good point, he said, you must fire at point blank range.

Wait, he said, until you see the whites of their eyes.

Then fire, fire and fire again.

MBTI
    yupp

I like both.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP

Mindless banter vs. intellectual conversation? What's the difference? I'm bad at both, but I think I can say it's almost impossible to find 'intellectual conversation' in the real world, for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    For some reason, I thought of this.

She does look a little sad, don't you think?

But her sadness is counter-point to her beautiful dress.

She belonged to a serving class that was required to hide its sadness - this serving class was made to feel ashamed of their sadness.

But today the serving class all wear black.

You might say they are the black armband view of history.

Their depression is in our face as they serve us breakfast, lunch and dinner and even the odd black coffee.

They even take their depression to the doctor's surgery where they are cured by a magic pill.

And the more adventurous self medicate - so they can give us a meth smile as they cater to our pleasures.

Yes, we are in the Age of Depression.

Depression has come out of the closet and flaunts itself in our restaurants and cafes.

And the experts tell us that Depression has reached epidemic proportions.

And we are surrounded by it - by our servers in black.