12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Exclamation They stole my chairs!?!

I just noticed that the camp chairs (the canvas folding kid) sitting comfortably in my next door neighbor's back yard are my and Don's chairs that were on our back patio. The have been there probably over a month and I am sure I have seen them many times, but just now I noticed ours are gone and theirs are exactly like ours right down to the green one (mine) being really faded from being left out in the sun and weather. The part of our yard that our chairs were in is fenced in and has no gate, because we mainly use it as a place for the dogs to go out to.

These aren't just normal people, either. These are Apostolic Pentecostals, a very strict Christian sect that has a strict dress code and rules about the use of televisions, etc. These people's yard is perfect and they are really faithful church attenders, quiet and polite, as far as I've observed. It's a brand new house and they have newer vehicles and their kids are grown and moved out, so they aren't poor.

I'm totally weirded out and baffled. I just can't see these people stealing my chairs then displaying them in their yard in plain sight, so how did my chairs get there??
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I'm totally weirded out and baffled. I just can't see these people stealing my chairs then displaying them in their yard in plain sight, so how did my chairs get there??
    Chairs have legs, don't they?

I wonder what would happen if you steal them back, then stack them openly against your house... and see if they notice and say something.

One day I was in the front yard and our neighbor across the street called out to me and asked where I had gotten the Penn State [football] yard pennant sticking in our grass.

I told him I didn't know. We had come outside 2-3 days before and just found there, and left it standing there.

He said it was his. Apparently the wind had blown it across the road one night, and someone else coming by had stuck it back in the grass, thinking it was ours. He had spent the last two days wondering if we had stolen it and why. (As it is, football usually bores me.)

So we gave it back. It was just funny, trying to imagine what he had been thinking and how it took him two days to feel brave enough to just ask us about it...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

They cleaned them up real nice, but it's just so weird.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISTP

The cleaned them up real nice, but it's just so weird.
    I would guess that they needed them at some point and you weren't around... so they figured since you guys were good neighbours, they would just use them, clean them and put them back. But after such a good time, and while cleaning up (maybe leaving them to dry, whatever) they forgot that they were yours.

It probably crossed their mind a couple of times, but it would be embarassing to bring them back after such a long time... and you guys haven't said anything, so you probably don't even know!

/random theory.

MBTI
    INTJ

... or they asked someone else in your family if they could borrow them...?

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INFP

I think it's impressive you are even taking the time to try and think of ideas as to why they have them, had it been me I would have marched round there the moment I realised and politely(through clenched teeth) told them that they were my chairs.

If they denied it, I wouldn't have the best reaction, infact that's why I would be speaking through clenched teeth in the first place as I am highly suspicious and would think the worse anyway.

Your restraint is admirable.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Hmm . . . my twelve-year-old just told me (upon interrogation) that the neighbor had commented to her in the past about the poor care we were taking of the chairs, leaving them out to be rained on etc. She told them that we didn't use them very often, but we kept them out there in case we wanted to eat outside, etc.

They were on our admittedly unkempt back patio and under the admittedly leaky former carport, but dang! They are our chairs and in our yard!

Is this a case of SJ gone horribly wrong? We weren't taking care of our chairs so they just took them?

I don't think Don would have given them away without asking me.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISTP

Is this a case of SJ gone horribly wrong? We weren't taking care of our chairs so they just took them?
    I've seen that happen. My mom used to take away things that I wasn't taking care of (ISFp)... I could totally see her friends, SJs, doing something like that.

Hell, once, they went over to a neighbour's house and did gardening because they weren't taking proper care of some plant or another... (Which, apparently, they had been watching grow and were interested in it because it was exotic or somesuch.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Hehe! They aren't our chairs after all. I just saw ours. Somebody folded them up and put them away.

I'm embarrassed, but relieved. It just didn't make any sense.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

This is why a J with inferior Se can be a very bad thing.
    ~ John Rogers