User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Default A tear for checkers

I just heard that they've solved checkers. I would just like to take this moment to mourn one of my childhood games.

[silence]

[/silence]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Oh, be a man about it. Just -- don't play any computers.

MBTI
    type

Heh -- I saw the title and wondered if my hometown hockey team had been killed off.

Why'd it take so long to solve checkers? No, haven't read the article.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    XNXP

I thought it was going to be about a dog named "Checkers", but that we would be expected to shake our heads at the sentiment being expressed. Wasn't there a president ( perhaps a while ago, which would explain the dog being dead now ) who had a dog by that name ? "Here lies Checkers, faithful even in death, and ever vigilant, whilst lying next to the grave of his master, whose eminence is now laid to rest beside him at the Bide-a-Wee Pet Cemetery"
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I thought it was going to be about a dog named "Checkers", but that we would be expected to shake our heads at the sentiment. Wasn't there a president ( perhaps a while ago, which would explain the dog being dead now ) who had a dog by that name ? "Here lies Checkers, faithful even in death, and ever vigilant, whilst lying next to the grave of his master, now laid to rest beside him at the Bide-a-Wee Pet Cemetery"
    Was Checkers a Dalmatian or a Scottie?
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    XNXP

I *choke* d-don't remember ! Maybe a spaniel ?
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

MBTI
    XNXP

We used to like to play three dimensional tic-tac-toe, using a 4 by 4 matrix vs. the traditional three by three, and then ( to make it trickier ) play it in 2-D space, so that we had to visualize the levels, using four grids on paper. The way to win was either by the opponent failing to visualize comprehensively and missing a single axes attempt, or by "forcing" the issue via an elaborate infrastructure. As in chess, a move would be made, which threatened immediately, but also advanced a step ( even when blocked ) in a more extrapolated pattern, which would continue to build towards being its own threat, while the opponent was forced to block the more immediate threats. In the end the opponent would be faced with a choice of whether to stop the last immediate threat or whether to stop the now-completed "big picture" threat, whose configuration had only become apparent at the end, after the immediate threats had been marked as "X's" or "O's". It was a great exercise in pattern recognition, which could get really complex if one were going for a "force" with four axes or more. Sometimes you would see infrastructure flashing that you hadn't even planned, due to advantageous marks you had made merely to stop the other person.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, actually, I don't think it means what you think it does. This only means that one computer has the ability to beat any move in checkers. It doesn't mean that a person can do the same thing. Checkers will always be a viable game between human players, because they are both working with similarily limited hardware.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Well, actually, I don't think it means what you think it does. This only means that one computer has the ability to beat any move in checkers. It doesn't mean that a person can do the same thing. Checkers will always be a viable game between human players, because they are both working with similarily limited hardware.
    It doesn't make any difference to me, really, even though I know this. There is now a single tree/path that will allow victory, no matter what I do. The only challenge now is to stay on that path.

I think I'll give up chess now and move onto Go. I figure chess will be solved by about 2012.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Don't you understand? This path always existed, it was only discovered recently. The game was always finite, it has simply been proven now. Surely you never actually held the belief that it was infinite? It's an 8x8 grid with 24 pieces, for goodness sake.

Besides, a human being could never comprehend, calculate, or memorize the necessary moves to stay on such a path. You're just worrying about and reacting to something that won't affect you or any other human checkers player. It's simply proof that checkers are a finite game, just like every game invented by people. The universe itself is finite, we just haven't fully comprehended it yet.