Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
Don't you understand? This path always existed, it was only discovered recently. The game was always finite, it has simply been proven now. Surely you never actually held the belief that it was infinite? It's an 8x8 grid with 24 pieces, for goodness sake.
I play a game with the concept that the path to win is an unknown, that intermediate strategies fight for dominance on the board because there is no way of knowing what path is the absolute best. At this point, all strategies are relative. That's no longer the situation. The game can now be reduced to someone carrying around a computer - the intermediate strategies are no longer relative, they can be actively measured against a single path. The correct move isn't to strategize - it's to bring the solution to the table. I don't compete for the sake of beating someone else, I do it to challenge my own intermediate strategies. The best strategy is now to bring a computer to solve it. I work off of using the right strategy at the right time - knowing that there is a right strategy causes me to no longer be interested in the game. Exploring for more might be entertaining... but it no longer holds my attention. I use the tools at my disposal to find it - if a computer can do it, then I use a computer.

Besides, a human being could never comprehend, calculate, or memorize the necessary moves to stay on such a path. You're just worrying about and reacting to something that won't affect you or any other human checkers player. It's simply proof that checkers are a finite game, just like every game invented by people. The universe itself is finite, we just haven't fully comprehended it yet.
Knowledge changes things for me, yes. I don't play it anyway, mind you. (The universe may or not be finite, however.)