User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Diamond Rings

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    No fear, man, Canada ramped faster than the US, and when the US crashes, you'll crash harder than we will (too close a trading partnership with us)... It's still much, much cheaper than where I live, especially when you consider the exchange rate...
    Hrmm, the exchange rate is almost at par now... It'd be 119k USD or so. I'm not worried about the market - I already own a place. I'm pretty well hedged either way. (Heh, want the analysis? )

Just saying that getting the ring wouldn't make much of an impact towards a downpayment. I couldn't really use that as a reason not to get an expensive one. (But, travelling is a whole other issue!)

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Fake diamond!
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    It's kinda crazy, but if I ever get married, she had better expect nothing but a rather plain ring made of titanium with a platinum inlay, because I hate all rings with anything stuck on/in them. They need to last for the rest of your life, and possibly longer, so you should go for reliability, wearability (lightness), and clean, timeless design.

I would, however, have it custom made to my exact specifications, or even buy the equipment and make it myself.
    Well, that can be your ring. But if you want the bitch to marry you, you have to get what she wants--she had to wear it, mind you.

Like someone else said, moissanite is a good way to go. It looks a lot like a diamond, only more shiny. It seems like a good compromise to propose to her since you're very much against diamonds.

Personally, I put more focus on the design of the ring than the jewels it has. If I love the design and it happens to have diamonds, then so be it.

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

See my ring is simple but they are diamonds!

~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

heart on fire

The marriage itself is more important than any ring. I never had an engagement ring (I do have a wedding ring) and I never missed it.

The idea of having to have a diamond as the wedding/engagement ring is all just made up marketing stuff (by the diamond people!) that has not even been around that long. Maybe you could sell her on the idea of getting something antique. Maybe she would accept another kind of stone.

MBTI
    ISTP

Thanks everyone Just as an aside, I'm very interested how the thread moved from 'justify a diamond ring' to 'clearly she wants a diamond and you don't'. I think that speaks volumes on why diamonds are still in the market the way they are.

As far as titanium rings go, my GF and I reviewed the options here and decided not to do that - they didn't really work for her. We'll probably end up with something along these lines, though I haven't talked to the designer yet. We are also considering getting a dragon and a phoenix (male/female) to some degree for (her) cultural reasons. And I'm ok with that cause... its a damn dragon!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I really liked this place for titanium rings when I was looking. FWIW, they offer white sapphires in place of diamonds. They are just below diamonds on the hardness scale and way cheaper.

Edit: I guess they don't offer white sapphires anymore. Bummer.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I really liked this place for titanium rings when I was looking. FWIW, they offer white sapphires in place of diamonds. They are just below diamonds on the hardness scale and way cheaper.

Edit: I guess they don't offer white sapphires anymore. Bummer.
    Wow, those look nice - have you ever bought something from them?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Wow, those look nice - have you ever bought something from them?
    No, I ended up going to a local place my friend used to work at. If I had it to do again, I would probably go with the titanium place. It took so long for my husband's titanium ring to come in through the local store that it would have been faster and not any more expensive to have bought it online. He has a bad reaction to gold, but he's been wearing the titanium ring for several months and it isn't bothering him at all.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP

So I was reading along, thinking about how I should respond to this discussion of rings/diamonds, when I stumbled upon this...

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    As a result, the loss of money would be hers as well and would come out of the wedding budget. I felt this was important for her to understand - when we are married...
    If you took out the information regarding the wedding, I would almost think you were talking about a small child, not a full grown woman you intend to marry. I would never be engaged to a man who spoke of me in that fashion.

On the subject of diamonds...I look at it this way: I don't plan on marrying anyone until he and I are both financially stable. So the affordability of the ring I want shouldn't really be that much of an issue. Also, I fail to understand why you should be so concerned what her ring preference is. Other than buying it for her, why do you care? You won't be wearing it. It will be hers, not yours, so essentially you should be more worried about getting something to satisfy her taste in jewelry, really.