User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you go out of your way to conserve stuff at home ?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • I save containers.

6 50.00%
  • I try to eke out the last drops of food/liquid/sauce.

4 33.33%
  • I save some old clothes

7 58.33%
  • These operations are too time consuming and fussy for me.

4 33.33%
  • Why do people like sauces anyway/sauces suck etc.-for Uber

1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: The Last Drop

MBTI
    XNXP

Default The Last Drop

How many of you take measures to eke out the last drops or bits of liquid or semi-solid condiments and drinks etc. from their containers ?

I've got upside down ketchup bottles and squeeze-the-tube mustard containers cut in two with a knife so I can get at the last third of the Dijon or Euro mustard.

When draining cans of sauce into a pot on the stove, I will pour out everything that comes out easily, and then balance the can pointed downwards to drain via gravity, by using the metal lid tipped onto the opposite side.

When I have beaten eggs for an omelette, I don't much like introducing water into the mixture to rinse out the last of the beaten egg from the bowl or container I beat them in, and so I will hold it upside down for a long time, watching the little drops slowly moving along, and then combining with one another like raindrops or snowflakes on my windshield in inclement weather.

I hate letting things go to waste, and so I have to fight my tendency to save containers for re-use. I had to actually buy a bag of lunch bags once, when I was on such a budget that I had to go with sack lunches versus eating out. It seemed absurd, having to actually purchase empty paper bags, when there were all of those we used to bring home products we bought for the taking. Instead of throwing them away, just save them. But then you end up getting too many, and start having to say "OK, I'm going to have to get much pickier from now on about which bags I'm going to consider worthy enough for my royal self." I ended up needing almost all of them last time I moved, as packing filler for boxes with fragile stuff in them.

Nor will I( throw out cheese just because it has a spot of mold on it. I'll just cut off the mold and throw it away.

I keep some old clothes too, thinking they'll come back into fashion again eventually. Or that I'll lose some more weight and lat out need shirts and pants in that size, once again. I've still got some of the old "velour' shirts. LOL
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ENTP

In typical ENTP fashion, I seek mini-max solutions: minimum effort for maximum return. It is simply not worth the effort or the mental energy to try to wring the last bit out of anything, especially when the waste involved results in a minimal savings if performed. At best, if you squeeze every last bit of toothpaste out of the tube you will probably save one tube a year, which amounts to about $2.00 saved. It is far more important to work on making more money and expanding your skillset than it is to obsess over every little bit of waste. Seek the golden mean. Focus the bulk of your efforts on the things that will actually make a real difference. I think this tendency can tend toward neurotic if not actively unlearned.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I tend to save change out of habit, I run my clothes into the ground, and I tend to wear the same pair of shoes for years and years until they're simply useless and I'm forced to throw them away. I use up leftovers generally if they're something I like to eat, and I do save some containers when they're truly useful.

I suppose, my convenience comes first. If it's easier on me to save something, I do it.. but I'm not scared of throwing anything away and replacing it either.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTP

I actually hate owning things, unless they serve a purpose. I have moved 6-7 times in the last couple of years, so every time I move I purge. The last major move, I sold all my furniture on Craigslist. I now own one Ikea chair. As soon as I figure out a way to scan in all my family photos efficiently I will archive the older, special ones and shred the rest. I am also in the process of scanning in all documents and shredding them. This is my goal: Diana Walker: The Bigger Picture Gallery (December 2007) - The Digital Journalist

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    In typical ENTP fashion, I seek mini-max solutions: minimum effort for maximum return. It is simply not worth the effort or the mental energy to try to wring the last bit out of anything,
    Your words make logical sense to me. I wonder why I behave otherwise ? My parents drilled this into us about saving and not wasting etc. as they had both lived through the great depression. My brothers and sisters and I can chuckle about them being "penny wise and dollar foolish" and yet maybe still have some of those traits.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I tend to save change out of habit, I run my clothes into the ground, and I tend to wear the same pair of shoes for years and years until they're simply useless and I'm forced to throw them away. I use up leftovers generally if they're something I like to eat, and I do save some containers when they're truly useful.

I suppose, my convenience comes first. If it's easier on me to save something, I do it.. but I'm not scared of throwing anything away and replacing it either.
    This is me. And it is sooo easy to save things. A lot of it waits for moving day before it gets tossed.

It's funny, too, that one gets almost sentimental about comfortable old chairs, like Frazier's dad, LOL. Or certain clothes that just seem to fit so well after time. Even though they are faded etc.

I sometimes wonder how the people who insist everything be "fresh" could handle living in a third world country, if business took them there. Would they be able to buy food in an open air market, knowing that flies might have been on it at some point ? You can imagine other considerations too....
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    Your words make logical sense to me. I wonder why I behave otherwise ? My parents drilled this into us about saving and not wasting etc. as they had both lived through the great depression. My brothers and sisters and I can chuckle about them being "penny wise and dollar foolish" and yet maybe still have some of those traits.
    My dad was like this, too. I hated it. So much effort, for what?

MBTI
    XNXP

I actually hate owning things, unless they serve a purpose.
    I envy the discipline and mobility this philosophy gives you. As a collector of Art and Antiques I am in some ways like a turtle who must move his entire home when he wants to go places. Obviously not for just knocking around Chicago, but if I wanted to live the life ( or at least share a few activities ) of my adolescent heroes, Jack Kerouac or Neal, then I would be a prisoner of my possessions. I am now at least putting my humongous music collection onto my hard disc. Of course I'll be sorta hosed if if the hard disc goes prior to me buying an auxiliary hard disc, and completely hosed if I sell all the CD's prior.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I try to be conscientious, hate throwing away food, do my best to recycle, and try to save water.

Moved from Bonfire.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I envy the discipline and mobility this philosophy gives you. As a collector of Art and Antiques I am in some ways like a turtle who must move his entire home when he wants to go places. Obviously not for just knocking around Chicago, but if I wanted to live the life ( or at least share a few activities ) of my adolescent heroes, Jack Kerouac or Neal, then I would be a prisoner of my possessions. I am now at least putting my humongous music collection onto my hard disc. Of course I'll be sorta hosed if if the hard disc goes prior to me buying an auxiliary hard disc, and completely hosed if I sell all the CD's prior.
    I went to an estate sale once. I never do this but I saw one and just pulled in. The house was filled with junk and random strangers were digging through the detritus of someone's life. It disgusted me. Both the tendency to hoard and the glee with which other people will dig through someone else's life trash to add to their own pile. A thought occurred to me: we never really own anything. We just borrow it. When I die, I will leave junk that someone else will need to clean up. Most of it will be worthless by virtue of the fact that was only important to me. So, what is the solution? To recognize that most things are worthless. The world of things is worthless. What really matters is experiences and things of true singular value.

MBTI
    XNXP

A thought occurred to me: we never really own anything. We just borrow it. .................................................. ..................The world of things is worthless. What really matters is experiences and things of true singular value.
    True. I guess I got started accumulating "things" back before one could simply reduce a lot of them to images on a hard disc. Not that this diminishes your "experiences trump" argument. In the end, even those experiences will be gone, too, and there will just be fading memories of them. But perhaps if one can leave some positive impact..our immortality will not be the rock thrown into the pond, but the ripples spreading ever outwards blah blah. I liked Night's comment that "the greatest thing to leave behind may be nothing at all". Still, many of us who still cling to egos like to think we'll be remembered. So did Ozymandias. * kuranes wonders if L. Frank Baum named Oz from that *

There was an old woman I knew who noticed something about packages back in the day, which were tied with string. Each time she cut the string to open the package, she often had a thing which could be profitably re-used, just as people re-use wrapping paper for presents. So she put a label on a jar that read "Pieces of string" and started putting them in there. She noticed after a while that due to peculiarities in the tying and cutting that, more often than not, she would end up with especially short pieces of string. So she made a new label and got a jar twice as big for the smaller pieces of string. This second, larger jar was labeled "Small pieces of string". Later on she had a jar even bigger than that one which was labeled "Pieces of string too small to save".

On the other hand, being so free as to be totally rootless has its price too.

"If I seem to be free it's because I'm always running"- Jimi Hendrix

I guess you have to pick and choose from both extremes and be rootless ( ruthless ) in sticking with your decisions.