User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default Cell phone away messages

They should make away messages for cell phones, similar to away messages on Instant Messenger programs. I thought of this brilliant idea after reading this post:
    Quote Originally Posted by runvardh
    The constant cell thing would have ended it for me. One short thing if it's some kind of emergency, fine; but have the courtesy to keep your focus on the date. Once a girl is with me I turn my cell off.
    It would mean you could take your focus off your phone, so when people call they know you're not just ignoring them, or that there's no serious problem preventing you from reaching your phone...

Do some phones already have these? I call (C) Copyright if no one's ever thought of it.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-22-2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: rights
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISTx

My away message is no response.

MBTI
    INFP

Wow. I don't have a cell phone for that very reason: they make you wayyyyyy too available. To even feel like you should put up an away message so that you don't have to reply to a call/text seems like a red flag that you are living for other people a bit too much.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Wow. I don't have a cell phone for that very reason: they make you wayyyyyy too available.
    Same here - I'm single and live a long ways away from family, so quite frankly there isn't anyone who would be in a position to need to reach me in any sort of emergency, even. My friends keep in touch via email, which is quite responsive enough for me (especially as I can be found sitting in front of my computer pretty frequently anyway ). That leaves work as the only people who would want to contact me in a situation like that, and frankly, although it's fine if they call my home number and leave a message, I'm not looking to be Mr. On Call Guy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Wow. I don't have a cell phone for that very reason: they make you wayyyyyy too available. To even feel like you should put up an away message so that you don't have to reply to a call/text seems like a red flag that you are living for other people a bit too much.
    Well, since my cell phone is my only telephone at all right now, there's no getting around that for me. I'd like to have my cell phone just for emergency purposes only, but my parents took out our landline once everyone in the family had cell phones and stuff. And since it's not like I have a home of my own yet...

But considering how most people, especially younger people, use cell phones, I stick by my original idea. I guess I understand your sentiments, though.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENTP

It's all about setting expectations. Everyone in my life knows that I may or not answer the phone depending on whatever mood I happen to be in. If they want to notify me of something they can text, email, or leave a VM (VM transcription which was nice). If they want to just talk, they'll have to make a date to do so, or wait for me to call them.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

I would have always my away message turned on.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

MBTI
    yupp

i usally conveintly leave my phone on silent i don't hear it. and if i miss a call, i can call back at my leisure and play dumb. well i am dumb, but just because i made sure i wouldn't hear some one call maybe isn't as dumb.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

^ same as Ms Chickenz... I always have my phone on silent and call back when I have time to talk

I'm more reliably available via text messaging, though if you're someone who I really enjoy talking to (and there are a few people who fall in that category!) I'll end up calling when we both have time so that I can chat for a few hours
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Kora View Post
    I would have always my away message turned on.
    I think almost everyone would. There would be no incentive to turn off the away message. Soon the away message would mean the same as just not picking up does now.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari