User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I don't think symapthy is sexual in nature, I feel sympathy for a squirrel who can't find it's nuts, do I feel some kind of weird sexual attraction? or the sympathy I feel for the child abused, does not mean I have peadophilic tendancies.

Ergo having sympathy for the dead, is not sexual in nature. When we call a man a peadophile we do not say he did it out of sympathy for the child, so how can you see those who feel sympathy for the dead as being necrophiliacs?

It's not even feeling sorry for the dead, it's feeling sorry for the end of their life, the end to their existance, especially if they failed to achieve or spent a life in misery. It's sympathy to the loved ones left behind, or empathy.

People who mourn the dead, don't usually want to screw them, and if they do then that's when we get the white coat men in.
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Uber, could you please elaborate on what you mean by the sympathy/sexual connection? If you mean it in the conventional sense of the words, I don't think you're going to get much agreement on that point and that is the point your argument hinges on.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, I always thought that all emotions were, to various extents, driven by sexual feelings from either the conscious or subconscious. And I always thought intimacy is simply the more visible and conscious thought of sexuality. Intimacy equates to powerful feelings, while sympathy is a more PC expression, but is still driven by the same train of thought -- it's an emotion, maybe not powerful, but regardless, an emotion, and so, it's a much, much milder sexual feeling whose sexuality is neither obvious nor felt consciously.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

ScienceDaily: Search For Sympathy Uncovers Patterns Of Brain Activity

According to the first article, sympathy activates the amygdala, orbitofrontal cortex, and anterior insular cortex. The first two are part of the limbic system, and the anterior insula is closely related to those subsystems. They are all related to basic emotional function. (This isn't surprising, since sympathy is an emotion.)

Now, I found elsewhere that sexual function is related to the dopamine-based pleasure/addiction systems. The amygdala is part of this system, but the other activated areas are the nucleus accubens, the ventral tegmental area, and the prefrontal cortex.

So the only brain region shared between the two processes is the amygdala. That region is known to be associated with with any sort of physiological arousal, from fear, to aggression, to sex. The the other activated regions show that its nature is divergent enough for it to be considered separate.

Now, do you still believe that sympathy and sexual function are part of the same process, just because they both involve the amygdala? By that token, you could say that aggression towards someone is sexual. So I doubt your theory.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, at least I'm on the right track -- so as far as I'm concerned, that means I'm right, as always.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

So, you just believe that you are always right, no matter what anyone says? That's a very... confident stance to take.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Well, I always thought that all emotions were, to various extents, driven by sexual feelings from either the conscious or subconscious.
    I think you are ignoring a big factor in life...survival. I could understand saying that all emotions are generally related to survival or sexuality (which, is also related to survival). ...and I'm not saying that I necessarily feel this way, but I could understand it...

but I think what you are saying is a stretch (wrong)
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENTP

Mourning dead loved ones is mourning a loss. Respecting dead loved ones is respecting the memory of them. Mourning a loss and cherishing a memory are natural and healthy practices. Getting aroused by a dead person and wanting to hump the rotting flesh are not.

Great thread.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    ScienceDaily: Search For Sympathy Uncovers Patterns Of Brain Activity

... (good research. go read the post)

So the only brain region shared between the two processes is the amygdala.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Well, at least I'm on the right track -- so as far as I'm concerned, that means I'm right, as always.
    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    So, you just believe that you are always right, no matter what anyone says? That's a very... confident stance to take.
    What UF means is that it involves the brain, therefore he is right.

UF, this is indeed one of your weaker arguments. I may restrict your access to Uranus for a while.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Getting aroused by a dead person and wanting to hump the rotting flesh are not.
    Not healthy emotionally or physically? There are a whole lot of bacteria that grow on carcasses, not to mention insect infestations....
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.