User Tag List

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default Little musings about school

I want to have time to think about things, but I really have to wait until my school semester is over for me to do that.

That's the funny thing: I feel like I have to get away from school to think. What's up with that?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Me too, sir.

It's ridiculous. I have all this material and these lectures to pay attention to, but the whole production of homework/papers things ruins the fun. There are intellectual things I'd like to explore that I never feel I have time for because of school.

Right now I have two papers (in which I have to find my own topic), an annotated bibliography, an oral presentation, a German group oral presentation, a unit test, and three finals coming up in the next two weeks.

Usually I like it when teachers give you room to think up topics for your own papers, but when there is barely any time for you to meander a bit...it just becomes a nuisance.
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

It's ridiculous. I have all this material and these lectures to pay attention to, but the whole production of homework/papers things ruins the fun. There are intellectual things I'd like to explore that I never feel I have time for because of school.
    Quite well said.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiL View Post
    Usually I like it when teachers give you room to think up topics for your own papers, but when there is barely any time for you to meander a bit...it just becomes a nuisance.
    Oh yeah, definitely. Last year, I got to do my first "research" paper, and though I wish I'd handled my time better, having the reference library completely open and just setting my own pace and path was something I had tons of fun doing.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-16-2008 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Boy, can I relate.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Oh yeah, definitely. Last year, I got to do my first "research" paper, and though I wish I'd handled my time better, having the reference library completely open and just setting my own pace and path was something I had tons of fun doing.
    Yes, the first time I started liking school was when I got to college and did my first legitimate research paper. School before that point was nothing but an extended nursery. A really, really annoying nursery.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yes, the first time I started liking school was when I got to college and did my first legitimate research paper. School before that point was nothing but an extended nursery. A really, really annoying nursery.
    x2

It's a shame really. Looking back I'm more disappointed in the fact that I could have exerted my autonomy by independently learning what I wanted, instead of begrudgingly complying enough with the rules to just get by. I think allowing people to research things is something they should heavily encourage from the onset, at least teach you some of the methodologies. It's actually sort of funny in that when I started college most of my research topics were based on the fact I hated highschool so much.

Unfortunately for me I chose to just fight it and rebel. And get myself even more frustrated, I did learn a lot through confrontation and argumentation. I learned how to deal with administrators and to somewhat intelligently communicate my issues and ideas. I only wish that I would have realized the absurdity of it all earlier so I could have learned something for my own good and for its own sake.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.