User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    yupp

yes, but I think it's more of she acts like shes been adopted by him. Also for her creative nonfiction class instead of doing her autobiography on her actually life she made up some shit saying she was born in australia then moved to england and she can do an english accent, but the fact remains she's never been to england and to australia once. It bugs me more that she lied about something that doesn't need to be lied about, and someone's going to figure this out and call her on it. Keep in mind she's met him twice in her life, and not for a long time either.

she has some major issues.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

^ that's kind of creepy

the man should beware that he doesn't get himself stalked!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp

I think being friends with her allows be tolerate less creepy people, because that high up on creepy and so anyone slightly less creepy is not creepy at all. So it's a win-win situation.sort of.

I do want them to meet and hang out for awhile so she can see that know one is as great as she makes them out to be. No one is that great of a person, I think she'd be dissapointed to find out that he doesn't live up to her ideals. He is talented, I've seen him do acoustic in a bookstore up here.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    XNXP

"Can't stand" is some strong language. With most songs, I can "stand" to hear them, but I may not like them much. There are a lot of songs that don't impress me because they rely too much on the lyrics versus the actual music. People will tell me about a song that really moves them and I'll think "Why?" and then realize ( this happens again and again ) it was mostly just the lyrics the person was focusing on. It might as well be a poem as a song.

A lot of modern songs don't do anything for me because they seem bland to me. I'm waiting for a "hook" riff, but apparently having at least one of those is considered "old fashioned" now ? I admit to not having checked out the full oeuvre of many of these artists. "If the song that is their big hit doesn't do it for me, then maybe their lesser stuff won't either" I reason to myself.

I realize that it is a mistake to assume that a "radio friendly" song that was perhaps crafted for that very purpose is not necessarily very representative of the band's other material, but I only have so much time for evaluating new stuff. There are so many things that I already either know that I like or have a strong suspicion I will like ( groups influenced by bands I'm familiar with, or described with certain adjectives etc. ) that it is difficult to justify to myself spending a lot of time on others. Still...I try to engage in a certain amount of listening to songs outside of my circle of familiarity, because that is how one stumbles on originality.

I have heard a few songs from groups like "G. Love Special Sauce" and "Dave Matthews band" that did absolutely nothing for me. I neither liked them nor disliked them. I heard some material by "Sonic Youth" that seemed just like random noise to me.

Although I have enjoyed some "avant garde" music in the past, there are still some groups that produce material that only seems to strive for being "contrary" or "different" without any other real inherent value or quality. This doesn't mean that there couldn't be songs by these groups that I wouldn't find intriguing. In fact, I rather suspect Sonic Youth has some material ( perhaps described as "more accessible " - code phrase ) that I would enjoy, but I just haven't had the time or occasion to dig for it. At least they aren't trying for what is known as "mainstream music" these days. ( Once upon a time "mainstream music" was swing jazz, though, and so I can't use that phrase as a parameter without exceptions either. I really like much of swing jazz. )

Songs like "Do you really want to hurt me? " by Boy George have a syrupy quality to them that I really dislike, but some of the songs that are all "doom and gloom" via cliched methods are crap to me also.

As far as popular music that has been coming out over the years, a good deal of what has been released since the early 80's is forgettable to me. I have enjoyed some of the House, electronica, and Tekno-Funk, however, versus the "rock" and "singer songwriter". ( Exceptions would be groups like John Hiatt, and Little Village. )

Some bands seem to get by mostly on the sexy looking bodies of the members versus their songs. I realize that people like Mick Jagger played up that aspect of themselves too, but there was something to the Stones' music also; even if it was just old fashioned rhythm and blues merged with a special pop-rock sensibility, and production/engineering finesse not often seen in the "roots" Blues world, versus being "totally original".

I'm not sure that very many artists can lay claim to being totally original, anyway, as they usually at least come up through some kind of tradition before putting their special stamp on it.

As far as modern music that I'm more likely to be appreciative of, it is often coming from other cultures. So-called "world music", is often appealing to me. This generic term covers a huge number of widely varying types of music, but it is often worth nosing around in. Sometimes the exponents of one flavor or another of this can combine their music with an existing tradition and thereby treat us to something even more special. One might hear "Afro-Cuban" music, for example, and enjoy it for being quite different from mainstream American pop. But it might be presented as "Afro-Cuban as influenced by American Jazz" and be even more complex.

As some people said already, there are some songs that might at least be good songs to exercise to, even if they have little else to recommend them, and so I use this rule of thumb to discount my dislikes also.

I remember reading an account by a spokesperson for a black American group complaining about how they were told, by various powers that be, that they needed to shape their music more towards conventions found on modern black radio ( hip-hop and modern "soul" in other words ) if they wanted to get ahead. ( They would reject their other music for their "black" station if it didn't adhere to these conventions, in other words. ) It will be nice when more groups can feel free to break out of these rigid categories. Maybe when we do, we'll see some different definitions for "black metal" for example. ( Yes, I know that Living Colour" broke out, but they are the exception. I actually met Vernon Reid over drinks once, while he was present during an opening night exhibition of his photographic art, and we talked a bit about this. )
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

How about a whole genre?

I want country, modern country, to burn to the ground!

Ever since Cash died, and even in his late years, country pretty much became a rancid fester pool of "my wife left me, and my dogs dead give me a beer". Somebody please take it out behind the shed, shoot it in the face and bury it next to old yeller who also had it comeing.
    SDMF

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

I'll cop to actually liking "Umbrella," but mostly Rihanna just makes me want to shoot myself.

I think it has less to do with her awful music and more to do with the fact that she was a complete jackass in an interview I heard with her. Objectivity be damned.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    INFP

Any group of males who go on about their appendages. Puleez.

My thought: You've got all of that talent and all you can do with it is boast about your whingy-whackie? Heh.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I, for one, cant stand Soulja Boy. He's a disgusting wart on the face of hip hop, encouraging the growth of more and more warts like him to horribly disfigure what was once a great music genre. He should be sued on that basis, for contributing to the demise of good hip hop.

*End rant*
    Yes.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISTx

Most rap and a lot of country.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by sanveane View Post
    James Blunt (oooh I h8 him so hard.)
    R. Kelly (him too.)
    Nickelback (er, ditto.)
    Death Cab for Cutie (pure h8.)
    Dashboard Confessional
    Jack Johnson
    Savage Garden
    Creed
    Staind
    Good Charlotte
    Fall Out Boy
    My Chemical Romance
    30 Seconds to Mars
    Jet
    Maroon 5
    'N Sync, Backstreet Boys, Westlife, Five, 98 Degrees, O-Town etc
    Jessica and Ashlee Simpson, Christina Aguilera, Brittany etc
    eh, possibly most R & B...
    This is a good list. +1 on all these.

I tried to keep from making a post in this thread, because there is so many "artists" I hate, I could add to it all day, but here are some I'll add:

Hinder
    Kid Rock
    Coldplay
    Jason Mraz
    T.I. (soo overrated)
    Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney.. all of those fuckers
    Buckcherry
    Linkin Park