User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    type

Default Words of Wisdom, Inspiring Quotes, etc

Put 'em here.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    type

I'll start with this from RirianProject's "Don't criticize, condemn, or complain".
    Back in the days of the draft, a young psychology student was drafted into the Army. One of his jobs was in the K.P. duty. He was to hand out apricots on the chow line. Normally, apparently the soldiers don't like Army apricots. So the psychology student did some experiments.

So as the men came up to his post, he said, "You don't want apricots, do you?"

Ninety percent said no.

Then he changed it to this: "You do want some apricots, don't you?"

Close to fifty percent said yes.

Then he tried another one: "One dish of apricots, or two?"

With this one, ninety percent said yes -- fifty percent took one dish and forty percent took two.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

MBTI
    INTJ

"Faith sustains us in the hour when reason tells us that we can not continue, that the whole of our whole lives is without meaning. Faith manages." J. Michael Straczynski

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

A few of my favorites:

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or when the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worth cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.
    Theodore Roosevelt

The Encouraging Thing…
    It’s that every time you meet a situation, though you may think at the time it is an impossibility and you go through the tortures of the damned, once you have met it and lived through it you find that forever after you are freer than you ever were before. IF you can live through that you can live through anything. You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, “I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"What I must do is all that concerns me, not what the people think. This rule, equally arduous in actual and intellectual life, may serve for the whole distinction between greatness and meanness. It is the harder, because you will always find those who think they know what your duty is better than you know it. It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great person is one who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."
    -Emerson

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
    Henry David Thoreau

"The more eminently virtue shines, the more it is exposed to the persecutions of envy".

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

"War is a terrible waste of human life; it's also REALLY COOL!"
    --Adam Sessler, X-Play

"Strength lies not in defense, but in attack."
    --Adolf Hitler

"Success is the sole earthly judge of right and wrong."
    --Adolf Hitler

"Humanitarianism is the expression of stupidity and cowardice."
    --Adolf Hitler

"Some movies are a slice of life, my movies are a slice of cake."
    --Alfred Hitchcock

"You can't find the truth, you just pick the lie you like the best. As long as you know everything's a lie, you can't hurt yourself."
    --Marilyn Manson

"You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Now everybody's crazy."
    --Charles Manson

"Revenge is a dish best served cold."
    --Old Klingon Proverb

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    "You can't find the truth, you just pick the lie you like the best. As long as you know everything's a lie, you can't hurt yourself."
    --Marilyn Manson
    I was shocked until I realized it wasn't the Monroe one.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

"The ultimate knowledge -- Ultimately, pain and suffering are all mankind will ever know."
    --"Hades" character in an unknown cartoon

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering."
    -- Roberta Flack

"When we finally know we are dying, and all other sentient beings are dying with us, we start to have a burning, almost heartbreaking sense of the fragility and preciousness of each moment and each being, and from this can grow a deep, clear, limitless compassion for all beings." -- Sogyal Rinpoche

"The beauty of compassion is that it gives a meaning to our suffering, and hence our lives."
    -- Author Unknown

"I would rather feel compassion than know the meaning of it."
    -- Thomas Aquinas

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
    "What's for breakfast? said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"
    "I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
    Pooh nodded thoughtfully.
    "It's the same thing," he said.

You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are.

"Rabbit's clever," said Pooh thoughtfully.
    "Yes,"said Piglet, "Rabit's clever."
    "And he has Brain."
    "Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit has Brain."
    There was a long silence.
    "I suppose," said Pooh, "that that's why he never understands anything."

This obsession for saving time has one main problem: you can’t save time, you can only spend it wisely or foolishly. Busy people have no time because they are so busy saving it. In the end they waste all the time they have.

Many people are afraid of emptiness. It reminds them of loneliness. Everything has to be filled -- appointment books, hillsides, vacant lots. But when all the spaces are filled, the Loneliness really begins. We join classes, groups and turn on the TV to make it go away. But it doesn’t.

To attain knowledge, add things everyday. To attain wisdom, remove things every day.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

RDF

Three quotes on the subject of love:

Love teaches even asses to dance.
    --French Proverb

Love is a perky elf dancing a merry little jig and then suddenly he turns on you with a miniature machine gun.
    --Matt Groening

I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known.
    --Walt Disney

A quote on the subject of schadenfreude:

The sweetest fantasies so often have a nugget of nastiness at their core. When the German poet Heinrich Heine dreamed of the good life, he imagined this: "A humble cottage with a thatched roof, but a good bed, good food, the freshest milk and butter, flowers before my window, and a few fine trees before my door; and if God wants to make my happiness complete, he will grant me the joy of seeing some six or seven of my enemies hanging from those trees."

A quote on the subject of cheerfulness vs. sullenness (an excerpt from the book "Khatyn" by Ales Adamovich)

I said in an angry voice (just in case she started begging me) that I would go alone and she would wait for me in the fir grove. Glasha looked at me beseechingly, not daring to object.

I was already enjoying acting in this way with her, making decisions for both of us, getting angry. When a person is cheerful, especially if his cheerfulness is unbidden and importunate, he always looks as if he is trying to justify himself. Nobody tries to justify himself for being gloomy and sullen. On the contrary, others somehow feel that they are to blame for it. You can get used to that and you like it all your life.

FL

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Campbell
    Sometimes when I look back, I think, "Son of a gun, you missed everything." It's funny how, at a certain age, all I could see were the negative in the way I lived: I missed it that time, or another time I was a stupid boob. Now, I try not to think about it. I'm wanting to get to heaven, where they tell me that you don't remember all those things.

In the age of decrepitude,
    you look back over your life
    with gratitude,
    and forward to death
    as a return home.

When Dante passed out of Purgatory, he drank at the river where all of his sins were wiped out of his memory. The first river from which he'd drunk forgave all of this sins, but that wasn't good enough, because then he still had to forget them.