User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    English language is very hard for me.
    Translation: The author of this post agrees with Apollonaut. If science was the first thing you were trained in, writing in the passive voice still feels natural. Writing in the passive voice can make it easier to write a response that doesn't say anything useful.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    Translation: The author of this post agrees with Apollonaut. If science was the first thing you were trained in, writing in the passive voice still feels natural. Writing in the passive voice can make it easier to write a response that doesn't say anything useful.
    English language is still very hard for me.

MBTI
    INTP

It is often advantageous for the modern scientist to be trained to write in both passive and active voice, as duties often extend beyond science into communicating with laypeople. However, many curricula of the more notable schools in science neglect this aspect of training. The result is often profound, and feeds the common stereotypes of the bumbling, absentminded scientist, and the engineer who can't write.

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

There is much delight to be had from this thread. The creation of this thread is, and should be, most appreciated by anyone who has been encouraged to post in this thread or who has had the fortune of having similar threads before in which he or she was encouraged to post. Specifically, this thread should have some appeal for most scientists or those who are still studying sciences at the university level, both groups of whom can be described as individuals who probably have not been forced to take higher-level English courses in which they would have been required to write research papers or other materials in exacting academese.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    INFP

This thread came up and slapped me in the face this morning.

There are those who wonder to whom should messages of complaint be sent.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

The passive voice is extremely valuable for long, meandering trains of thought, which can have an almost hypnotic effect on the mind, leading one into a semi-trance state of mellow passivity.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

It has occurred to this humble writer that he has not fully read the title of this particular thread, which states emphatically that the passive voice is to be abused in this thread.

It could be argued that the previous posts by yours truly do not, in truth, represent an "abuse" of the passive voice, being relatively brief and to the point. This current post will attempt to address the issue, by demonstrating just how a communication can become extremely rambling, long-winded and tedious when the passive voice is applied excessively.

One consequence of communicating in this fashion is that sentence structure becomes absurdly long and convoluted, making it difficult (if not impossible) for the reader to determine which is the "subject(s)" and which the "object(s)", due to excessive use of interjections, quotation marks and qualifications (such as this bracketed example), not to mention the word-blindness some people experience when confronted by such an imposing wall of dry text.

There is also a tendency to always present both sides of an argument: on the one hand this provides for a fair and objective appraisal of the subject matter under discussion; however, on the other hand this can mislead the reader into assuming that the writer has no clear opinions whatsoever regarding said subject matter and has an out-of-control tendency to prevaricate between diametrically opposed positions.

Finally, to those who bravely reached this conclusion without falling victim to the aforementioned "hypnotic" effect of the passive voice used to excess, an opinion as to whether or not the criteria of "abuse" can now be truly applied to this exposition would be greatly appreciated.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

One wonders why this thread hadn't been noticed by her before. Being passive is a natural state to her.

Reading an entire novel written entirely in the passive voice was a rather frustrating experience. It is recommended that fiction is never written in the passive voice.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    Reading an entire novel written entirely in the passive voice was a rather frustrating experience. It is recommended that fiction is never written in the passive voice.
    Indeed!
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

And if I only could,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    Finally, to those who bravely reached this conclusion without falling victim to the aforementioned "hypnotic" effect of the passive voice used to excess, an opinion as to whether or not the criteria of "abuse" can now be truly applied to this exposition would be greatly appreciated.
    It is difficult to convey an opinion without using the active voice. However, it appears that the passive voice has indeed been both used and abused in this thread. A fine example was your post, reply number 67.