User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 75

  1. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    The author learnt passive voice in a similar way to rhinosaur. The use of 'me' in that context is to be frowned upon.
    A subtle distinction is made between the use of passive voice and removal of the use of "subjective language."

    The following definition was assumed:
    "A passive construction occurs when you make the object of an action into the subject of a sentence."
    Source:Passive Voice

    Therefore, the placement of the actual subject of the action as in a prepositional phrase keeps the logical subject as an object.

    That is "by me," is simply a modifier in the sentence and does not determine if the sentence is active or passive.

    Less objectivity is conveyed by use of "by me," however. It is understandable that this is an objection in scientific language.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  2. #42
    Free-Rangin' Librarian Jae Rae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    979

    Default

    "By me" sounds lamer, therefore better in this thread. It's like putting "I think" or "I believe" in front of every statement. You're saying it, therefore of course you think or believe it.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Anja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    "By me" sounds lamer, therefore better in this thread. It's like putting "I think" or "I believe" in front of every statement. You're saying it, therefore of course you think or believe it.
    "The tendency to avoid anything which sounds like an imperative, calls for the usage of 'I'"
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

  4. #44
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    I have been amused by the thread.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  5. #45
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    "By me" sounds lamer, therefore better in this thread. It's like putting "I think" or "I believe" in front of every statement. You're saying it, therefore of course you think or believe it.
    +1

    Use of "by me" is heartily encouraged in this thread (by me).
    Something Witty

  6. #46
    Free-Rangin' Librarian Jae Rae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    "The tendency to avoid anything which sounds like an imperative, calls for the usage of 'I'"
    Well, I did say every statement.

    Qualifying a statement weakens your point and often credibility. Sometimes I consciously take out "I think" or "I believe." I've heard others - stronger souls - who consciously put them in so they don't sound so bold or strident.

    Using the passive voice is an indirect and usually weaker form of expression, which is the underlying theme of this thread.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

  7. #47
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    It is believed by me that there will be a very many more pages contained within this thread.

  8. #48
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    It is believed by me that there will be a very many more pages contained within this thread.
    It is wondered by I whether the unwanted article in this post were intended or not.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  9. #49
    ThatGirl
    Guest

    Default


  10. #50
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    The time has come for the revival of this thread.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 11:35 AM
  2. Last person to post in this thread gets a diamond ring!
    By Samvega in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 1051
    Last Post: 08-28-2009, 05:30 PM
  3. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 02:53 PM
  4. [NF] ever asked "do we really have to do anything in this world?"
    By niki in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 07:52 PM
  5. Against the Law to be Fat in Japan?
    By heart in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 03:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO