User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does Jack have a good sense of how to type people accurately here?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's good, like he says (i.e., better than average).

19 41.30%
  • He's worse than he thinks (i.e., average or less than).

27 58.70%
First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Their insulting, baiting tone?
    The characterization is accurate only if trolling is defined as making any such posts, rather than making primarily such posts. And if we adopt this definition, then I regret to inform you that trolls make up a huge chunk of the poster population, including mods.
    Plus, many of these insults seem to lie in the reception, not the post itself.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    The characterization is accurate only if troll is defined as making any such posts, rather than making primarily such posts. And if we adopt this definition, then I regret to inform you that trolls make up a huge chunk of the poster population, including mods.
    Plus, many of these insults seem to lie in the reception, not the post itself.
    I guess the definition is based on where the lines are drawn.

And while your last part might be technically true, it's rather disingenuous in practice to blame recipients for "taking things poorly." If the same guy is making everyone cry or getting on many people's nerves, then there seems to be a common denominator, correct?

And whether you like it or not, community standards do get drawn up by the community. A particular community might have boundaries that differ from another's; you might not like them; but those are the breaks.

Cafe's opinion here certainly isn't something I haven't heard before or even felt myself sometimes. Obviously it's complicated to know when to slap something down and when to let people resolve their own issues: I'd like to just scream, "BE NICE/RESPECTFUL TO EACH OTHER" and let it go at that, but people have to pick up the ball.

...but we're getting off-track, you're supposed to be analyze Jack's people analyzing skillz.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I'm starting to wonder how effective this poll will be at demonstrating anything. The intent has changed from "Does Jack know YOUR type" to "Does Jack type PEOPLE well." This means that people who may possibly be less skilled, but confident in their typings, will consider me worse, when in fact I am not. *ponders*

In any case, continue. lol.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I'm starting to wonder how effective this poll will be at demonstrating anything. The intent has changed from "Does Jack know YOUR type" to "Does Jack type PEOPLE well." This means that people who may possibly be less skilled, but confident in their typings, will consider me worse, when in fact I am not. *ponders*
    Everyone's a critic.
    Life is imperfect.

Suck it up, princess(es).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I don't think he's poor at typing, but there are threads where he just puts on his blinders and plows through everyone else who are making cogent arguments by his sheer number of posts. His steamrolling style inhibits his ability to step back sometimes and get an accurate view of others, or how others view him, IMO. [He is up to 51.60 posts per day. Most members who are regularly active are in the 2-4 post per day range.]

My main problem with him is I just wish he'd play nicely with others, as he and I have discussed ad nauseum before.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I don't think he's poor at typing, but there are threads where he just puts on his blinders and plows through everyone else who are making cogent arguments by sheer his number of posts. His steamrolling style inhibits his ability to step back sometimes and get an accurate view of others, or how others view him, IMO.

My main problem with him is I just wish he'd play nicely with others, as he and I have discussed ad nauseum before.
    Yes, yes. The difference being our definitions of "cogent."

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Oh, and one more thing. People think I'm insulting them when I type them as a "very different" type from myself, but if they don't like me, why should they be offended that I think they aren't like me? Contemplate this.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    And while your last part might be technically true, it's rather disingenuous in practice to blame recipients for "taking things poorly." If the same guy is making everyone cry or getting on many people's nerves, then there seems to be a common denominator, correct?
    I'm not blaming anybody, actually. Just stating the fact that many have a tendency to see something as an insult that others don't and that may not have been intended as such. I don't see the disingenuousness of that. Clearly, what I find funny or true, cafe et all may find gets on their nerves. The same guy is also entertaining a chunk of the less-readily-insulted set.

And whether you like it or not, community standards do get drawn up by the community. A particular community might have boundaries that differ from another's; you might not like them; but those are the breaks.
    Yes, there's a large community of more sensitive people here. But also, there's a lot of feeling-based bias on who gets chewed out for being more offensive and provocative. I have seen posts that were extremely inflammatory from NFs yet I don't see the feeling-based rush to call them trolls nearly as much. Perhaps it's because the Ts the posts are meant to offend are not as huge crybabies about it. I don't see the intended offendee Ts calling anybody a troll, but as you suggested, it depends on the "community".

Cafe's opinion here certainly isn't something I haven't heard before or even felt myself sometimes. Obviously it's complicated to know when to slap something down and when to let people resolve their own issues: I'd like to just scream, "BE NICE/RESPECTFUL TO EACH OTHER" and let it go at that, but people have to pick up the ball.

...but we're getting off-track, you're supposed to be analyze Jack's people analyzing skillz.
    I don't know why my question was siphoned off into this thread: I asked it in the "mistyped people" thread.

As for the question: I still would have done: "No he sucks at it" or "Yeah he's pretty good" but I already voted my choice.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Enneagram
    1w2

I'd give a more thorough reply but I don't care to be Jack's cumrag.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

ThatGirl

Flak is one of the members on this forum that I consider quick with a sharp perspective. Whether they are one hundreded percent acurate or not there is usually some truth in some aspect of his rationality.