User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does Jack have a good sense of how to type people accurately here?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's good, like he says (i.e., better than average).

19 41.30%
  • He's worse than he thinks (i.e., average or less than).

27 58.70%
First 89101112 Last

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

two thoughts:

1) i don't have a clue how good he is at typing because there's no way to prove his conclusions. that said, he should have the same right to give his opinion on what other's types are, in the appropriate areas, just the same as everyone else does. it's not like if he's wrong, it suddenly becomes true. to argue with him about it just gives his opinion, and that is all it is, more worth than it should garner.

2) my only real problem with him is that he backs down from arguments with, "i could blahblahblah, but i won't".
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I think Jack is pretty good at typing people. I hadn't noticed him being extraordinary at it.

I'm surprised he's getting flak (HA!) for being a troll. He posts a lot, but he's usually either perceptive or funny or both. I enjoy his posts.
    I second this.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

I think you can't tell how somebody is on the internet. There's no facial expressions, no voice tones, you only get text. You can only tell so much.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I address my problems directly when I'm involved, so I really want to avoid getting into it from my point of view.

Conceptually I know where you are coming from - meaning doesn't have to contain a lot of words... look at the content. However, someone who posts only a little but finds insightful things to say still won't have a high post count. What you are saying is that a large scale poster virtually never has to stop and think, expand, explain, research, (and so on) his posts. To do in excess of 50 a day, literally 7 days a week, would take me the better part of an *active* 4-8 hours a day. That is, between 5-10 minutes a post, on average. (Lots of mine are below that, naturally, but some are higher.) Even if you think it is possible to write a meaningful post everytime in a minute, it tends to require reading the thread, or the answers. That's why the metrics are what they are - not because it is arbitary, but because time constraints make it meaningful.
    This is getting in to the grounds of his "real life" personality. For example to use ProteanMix again since I'm sure she would not take too much offense she maybe very social, kind, gracious and talkative but may choose to only chat a little bit with a select few. Someone else with a similar personality may choose to engage in decidely bigger social circles and a distinctly greater amount of conversations but that does not necessarily mean that they are "fakes" and have some negative intent. Different strokes for different folks is my opinion on it.

I'm not denying that he spends a rather large amount on the forums but drawing intent from that is somewhat murky waters for me. Plus you generally seem like you HAVE to have some sort of conclusion or direct response or reflection of your actions, to him he doesn't have that need at all and can therefore engage in many more discussions. It was something that I actually perfected some what in my school days as an avoidance technique, asking a lot of vague questions with some "logical" basing in order to get others off my case. I think you can transfer that idea and implement it in a number of different ways.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I'm not denying that he spends a rather large amount on the forums but drawing intent from that is somewhat murky waters for me.
    Oh, just to be clear, the problem isn't with time on the forum, but the velocity of posts. For example, someone who posts ten times a day but spends only ten minutes on the forum is likely worse than someone who spends an hour on the forum and posts thirty times.

But again, my complaints are in the open and not in this thread. I don't have a problem with the number of posts, except indirectly. I have had a problem with the lack of content and some dismissive typist comments in his posts, however, in threads I was involved in. I believe that the velocity and content issues I have do correlate in this case.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Since God itself could not be as good as Jack Flack thinks that he is, I'll have to vote No.

It doesn't matter how good he is, he can't be as good as he thinks that he is!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    intp

Complaint about the sketchy wording already lodged up top. I ignored the "punish-the-arrogance" steering and focused on the better than average/worse than average thing.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by EvanTheClown View Post
    I think you can't tell how somebody is on the internet. There's no facial expressions, no voice tones, you only get text. You can only tell so much.
    Agreed, at some point you have to realize other than with a lucky guess no amount of rationalizing will conclude a correct assessment. I do feel hes possibly made a few lucky guess', but I voted no, I do not feel he is particularly better at typing someone than anyone else on the boards.

I enjoy Jacks posts more often than not, but I do feel his rate of posting is outrageous to say the least and a majority of it, even the ones I find humorous, is useless.

In the end, IMO, no one can long distance accurately type a person, Jacks posts too much uselessness and its gotten to the point where I dont even reads his posts anymore.
    SDMF

MBTI
    INTP

Oh, just to be clear, the problem isn't with time on the forum, but the velocity of posts. For example, someone who posts ten times a day but spends only ten minutes on the forum is likely worse than someone who spends an hour on the forum and posts thirty times.

But again, my complaints are in the open and not in this thread. I don't have a problem with the number of posts, except indirectly. I have had a problem with the lack of content and some dismissive typist comments in his posts, however, in threads I was involved in. I believe that the velocity and content issues I have do correlate in this case.
    I think this is just a case of opposites clashing. I am perfectly fine with vague open ended posts that don't necessarily directly come to consensus or conclusions on things. I would sense that this is probably a pet peeve of yours. Personally when you have a mindset similar to mine or Flaks, these things are not the least bit concerning and if you were so inclined you could utilize those "traits" you could conceivably post to a very high degree.

My friends IRL know that if a situation that arises that I will be quick to bullshit and rationalize anything no matter the topic or context. I do this largely by asking short inquistive open ended questions and just sort of throwing them on the wall and seeing what sticks the most. Online you have a greater ability to do this because writing allows more concision if that is your intention.

I think someone brought the topic of expressing whats on your mind either in text or orally and I stated that for me It is MUCH quicker to do it in typing and more of a lens in to my mind. When I converse in real life my mind is just asking a series of very quick questions that tries to capture the scope of something, online If I wanted I could externalize these things before necessarily coming to a conclusion.
    Last edited by Simplexity; 11-07-2008 at 03:30 AM.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I'm curious about the post-to-view ratio:

Is it very high because people are afraid to voice their perspective in fear of Teh Jack wrath? Or is it simply that there are a small number of very interested people in this thread? Or both?
    Well in my case I didn't care enough about whether he's competent at typing people or not. But I do find the conversations of this thread interesting.

Some people also only vote without posting if they don't feel strongly about the topic.

It's a general rule of thumb for degree of spamming. Generally anything over 10 is considered notably high (as in "active poster", given a long enough time period... It is not unusual, however, for the top 10% or so to be in the 10-20 range The 20-30 mark is more case by case. 50 something is... out of the ordinary.

I didn't triple check, but of all the net high-volume posters, Jennifer is at the tail end of the curve, sitting just above 20. You sit at 16. From what I could see, it's very notable.
    Jennifer spends all day on the comp... she can't help but post tons. I still think it's best to examine quality of posts from a random sampling over looking at correlations from post counts.

Although 5000 posts in a few months is crazily high.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I think the post count is somewhat irrelevant. If you have a skill for getting something "constructive" in a line or two you can rack up the post counts pretty quick without necessarily trolling. I think we should have a multiplying factor based on word count per post*cough* bluewing *cough*
    Agreed. *chuckles* Although a lot of spam posts consists of one-liner smart ass comments. A lengthy post might be a better indicator of non-troll-like behavior.

+1

Just as a side note, what's this "average" of the poll referring to? Average in the general population? If that's so... then yes Jack certainly does better than most since only like 30% of the population know of MBTI let alone be familiar with it enough to type people. In comparison to say forum members here at MBTI... I'll say probably everybody here can type others fairly well. So he's hardly above average in abilities...