User Tag List

First 678

Thread: Hey, what's up

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yeah Samhain is Druidic in origins, but the "All Hallow's Eve" is largely a Catholic thing. Hence why I find it ironic when Evangelicals attack Halloween as a Satanic holiday. LOL!
    This is why I think Dia de los Muertos, which is celebrated in Mexico originated as a resistance to the Spanish missionaries. The Catholic's observed All Hallow's Day, but were very cautious about it. The Azteca people noticed this and figured, "Hey, this day aligns with our traditional beliefs. Why don't we flaunt our observance of it to piss off the missionaries?" Of course now it's very much an accepted holiday in Mexico, more so than elsewhere.
    I want something much more different
    Not these factories or prisons
    I wish that the Earth was green again
    I wish I had a gun in my hand

--Blackbird Raum

MBTI
    XNXP

Hey Edahn ! I took some more diet pills this morning, and even though I took them early with little sleep ( because I did the same thing yesterday ) I'm still a bit wired. I am naturally wired, too, in some ways, and so it doesn't take hat much to get the old teeth grinding.

It was nice to see that you were already here when I first started spending some serious time at MBTIc, as I mostly enjoyed your posts and personality over at INTPc. You should get Supergirl to come, too.
    Or did I just touch a nerve by asking that last question ? Don't know much about your situation.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    This is why I think Dia de los Muertos, which is celebrated in Mexico originated as a resistance to the Spanish missionaries. The Catholic's observed All Hallow's Day, but were very cautious about it. The Azteca people noticed this and figured, "Hey, this day aligns with our traditional beliefs. Why don't we flaunt our observance of it to piss off the missionaries?" Of course now it's very much an accepted holiday in Mexico, more so than elsewhere.
    I really don't know about that. That's perfectly in line with the concept of Inculturalation, where the specific customs and traditions of a people are incorporated into Catholic faith. Even in the early Medieval period Pope Gregory the Great decreed that any custom that didn't contradict the faith could and should be celebrated.

Although the question of how Catholic Latin America is or really ever was is certainly up for debate. Many like to assume that it's a Catholic stronghold, but the truth is very different.

I remember one priest talking to my parish about doing missionary work in Honduras, and how there were so few priests they could only afford to hold mass once every five years!!!

Protestantism is spreading quickly throughout the region, almost 1/3 of the population now.

MBTI
    INFP

Hi Edahn! I can't believe I'm going to meet you in 3 weeks! Weirrrrrrd!

Good night.~

MBTI
    XNXP

I recently read a book that touched on this subject, but I'm failing to remember the title. It might have been the book written by the author who went to the yearly "mummy congress" because it had more info on mummies from around the world ( and loads of other stuff ) than you could shake a stick at. There was one culture ( Equatorial Indians ? Forget ) who had to hide their ancestors' mummified bodies waaaay up in caves in the upper mountains, which accounts for their excellent preservation in some cases.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Protestantism is spreading quickly throughout the region, almost 1/3 of the population now.
    I'm trying to come up with a reply, and all I'm getting is, "I did not know that." I live in SoCal and the Hispanic people I know are all Catholic.
    I want something much more different
    Not these factories or prisons
    I wish that the Earth was green again
    I wish I had a gun in my hand

--Blackbird Raum

Sniffles

I'm trying to come up with a reply, and all I'm getting is, "I did not know that." I live in SoCal and the Hispanic people I know are all Catholic.
    Yeah it's well documented but very few people are aware of it:
    RELIGION-LATIN AMERICA: Catholic Church Losing Followers in Droves
    By Diego Cevallos

MEXICO CITY, Oct 21 (IPS) - For the Catholic church hierarchy in the Vatican, Latin America has changed from the "Continent of Hope" to the continent of concern, as followers are leaving the church in such large numbers that it could lead to the collapse of Catholicism within a decade and a half.

Although Latin America is still home to almost half of the 1.07 billion Catholics in the world today, numerous studies indicate that their numbers are declining throughout the region.

The loss of Catholic faithful "is a painful reality that calls out dramatically to us as pastors of Latin American churches," said Cipriano Calderón, a member of the Vatican Congregation for Bishops and former president of the Pontifical Commission for Latin America.

In Brazil, where there are more Catholics than in any other country in the world -- roughly 100 million, out of a total population of close to 180 million -- close to half a million followers are leaving the Catholic church every year.

Something similar is happening in Mexico, the country with the second largest number of Catholics. Roughly 88 percent of its 102 million inhabitants today identify themselves as Catholics, revealing a decline of almost 10 percent compared to the mid-20th century.

In Colombia, only two out of every three people profess themselves Catholics today, when almost the entire population was Catholic in the 1950s.

The phenomenon is particularly marked in Guatemala, where almost one-third of the country's 12 million inhabitants have left the Catholic church, and most of those leaving have converted to evangelical Protestantism....

RELIGION-LATIN AMERICA: Catholic Church Losing Followers in Droves
    The Battle for Latin America's Soul - TIME
    The dramatic growth of evangelicals in Latin America | National Catholic Reporter Conversation Cafe
    The Evangelical Groundswell in Latin America

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    You should get Supergirl to come, too.
    Or did I just touch a nerve by asking that last question ? Don't know much about your situation.
    Not at all! I'm going to her Halloween party tonight, cept I don't have a costume. I'm going to have to create an ad hoc costume using stuff I find around the house.

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Hi Edahn! I can't believe I'm going to meet you in 3 weeks! Weirrrrrrd!

Good night.~