First 12

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Don't worry, I'm sure if I was a long time member here no one would even think of me as an ENFP.
    What?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    What?
    Misconceptions.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Misconceptions.
    Oh they wouldn't think you were one because of the misconceptions about ENFPs?

MBTI
    isfp

Just making this thread actually makes me feel much better about it.

Misconceptions happen. That's life.

If I've helped correct them then I've done my part. I can't control whether people listen or not. And I find that those who matter usually do listen.
    Sunshine, I'd love to know whether or not what I just posted resonates with you at all:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...reference.html

Sarah
    ISFP

MBTI
    ISFJ

Oh they wouldn't think you were one because of the misconceptions about ENFPs?
    Well because they think an ENFP is one thing and I might not fit the stereotype just like that. Obviously I relate to a lot of the MBTI theory but misconceptions such as oversensitivity and whatnot....

I'm talking about posts here and how people read into all that.

MBTI
    isfp

So I was wondering how it could possibly help people to believe whatever misinformation they're attracted to wanting to believe about each of the 16 types (because it's flattering to them at the expense of others), if what they've chosen to believe is actually preventing them from appreciating others and improving their relationships, and here's what came to mind:

I'm struggling with accepting what I see as fact: that there will probably always be those who, out of a desire to give themselves a positive set of identity labels, feel the need to bluntly devalue others, or at least keep on implying that people of other types are impoverished mentally, physically, spiritually, or socially. There will probably ALSO always be people who also can't bring themselves to use type as a tool to help them improve their life situation and their relationships. These are the people who will keep on criticizing whatever types they've chosen to think of as their "opposite", again and again and again.

In real life they have two choices: they can either make a conscious, sustained effort to treat everyone with respect, including giving people verbal appreciation, in which case they probably find others responding by treating them with respect and appreciation, or they can make a habit of displaying their feelings of superiority with open disdain for others, in which case, they're probably getting disdain in return --or perhaps at the most, tolerance and condescension. It's the latter group that no doubt spend years of their lives wondering why relationships are so difficult.

My feelings about bias aren't going to go away any time soon, but I've decided that I really need to work at not caring so much about the people who don't realize what a great tool psychological type really is. It really is their loss. I would think that anyone who has ANY common sense should be able to eventually see through the idiotic, untrue generalizations. I also figure, if it weren't for type, these people would probably be finding other ways of dividing the world into "us vs them". Maybe some day they'll realize what they've been missing out on. Maybe.

Perhaps a way of spreading accurate information about my type would be to simply be as much of a positive example of my type as I'm capable of being, and explain how I see the world every now and then, when I feel like it, while trying not to come across to others as having an axe to grind. Those who are interested in learning about type dynamics will appreciate learning from others about what makes them tick, and those who are fundamentally only interested in themselves (and in feeling "special" at the expense of understanding all 16 types accurately and in depth) wouldn't care anyway.

Sarah
    ISFP

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    So I was wondering how it could possibly help people to believe whatever misinformation they're attracted to wanting to believe about each of the 16 types (because it's flattering to them at the expense of others), if what they've chosen to believe is actually preventing them from appreciating others and improving their relationships, and here's what came to mind:

I'm struggling with accepting what I see as fact: that there will probably always be those who, out of a desire to give themselves a positive set of identity labels, feel the need to bluntly devalue others, or at least keep on implying that people of other types are impoverished mentally, physically, spiritually, or socially. There will probably ALSO always be people who also can't bring themselves to use type as a tool to help them improve their life situation and their relationships. These are the people who will keep on criticizing whatever types they've chosen to think of as their "opposite", again and again and again.

In real life they have two choices: they can either make a conscious, sustained effort to treat everyone with respect, including giving people verbal appreciation, in which case they probably find others responding by treating them with respect and appreciation, or they can make a habit of displaying their feelings of superiority with open disdain for others, in which case, they're probably getting disdain in return --or perhaps at the most, tolerance and condescension. It's the latter group that no doubt spend years of their lives wondering why relationships are so difficult.

My feelings about bias aren't going to go away any time soon, but I've decided that I really need to work at not caring so much about the people who don't realize what a great tool psychological type really is. It really is their loss. I would think that anyone who has ANY common sense should be able to eventually see through the idiotic, untrue generalizations. I also figure, if it weren't for type, these people would probably be finding other ways of dividing the world into "us vs them". Maybe some day they'll realize what they've been missing out on. Maybe.

Perhaps a way of spreading accurate information about my type would be to simply be as much of a positive example of my type as I'm capable of being, and explain how I see the world every now and then, when I feel like it, while trying not to come across to others as having an axe to grind. Those who are interested in learning about type dynamics will appreciate learning from others about what makes them tick, and those who are fundamentally only interested in themselves (and in feeling "special" at the expense of understanding all 16 types accurately and in depth) wouldn't care anyway.

Sarah
    ISFP
    That was a great post.

You hit on some things that I was trying to work out internally.

I didn't want to be someone that was bitter about prejudice and stereotypes...someone that only posted angry things constantly trying to correct everyone that's wrong. But I still feel like I should do something. I think you're right, those that are really interested in learning what each type is really about will learn the truth and will see past all the stereotypes and stuff. Like you, I'm gonna work on not letting it bother me so much and I'll only post about it if I'm up for it.