http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    and yes I meant to say words that you think ARE just funny
    You can edit
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    INFP

Ever since Monty Python every time I hear the word "lupines" I lose it!

Even grew some outside my kitchen door so I could have a giggle when I step outside.

*Mutters, "Bloody lupines."*
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    XNXP

i'm not sure if there are any that actually crack me up outside of a certain context, but I think I know what you mean. Words that have a funny sound or connotation.

The word "woo" has always seemed silly to me, in more ways than one. I remember someone told me, when I used the word "careening" in a story that it was a favorite word of theirs. I read an article about "words you've always wanted to use in real life conversation" that had some good examples in it. A gay man had said that he had always wanted to use the word "scrimmage", although he admitted that he had no idea what it meant. "It just sounds so butch" he finished.

The second paragraph I just wrote in this post are all words that sound funny even though they are meant to be taken seriously. Some words seem to me like they were perhaps made for silliness, like the "schmegeggie" you referenced; unless it is a serious word from a foreign language which just sounds/looks funny to my English speaking ears/eyes.

I used this principle once to get through to an executive that I was having a hard time getting back on the line about a possible sale. He had expressed an interest in something our firm was selling, but then never returned my calls after getting the literature, or whatever. He had a secretary that was good about screening his calls. I decided to stop using my actual name, and just make one up. Since that could pose a problem later, if I did it in a serious serious way, I decided to use silliness in a serious way.

"Can I tell him who is calling?" asked the imperious woman gatekeeper.

In the same ( if not even more imperious tone ) kind of voice I answered "Tell him Reginald P. McGillicuddie the third is calling."

This time he came on the line immediately, with a chuckle. ( No, I didn't ever close the deal there with him. He had only been expressing interest as a form of politeness. )

In my "Pontookers' thread, I have tried to express this same form of playfulness, and others so inclined are encouraged to participate.

The word "pop" as in "pop a balloon" has a funny sound, and the word "ouch" is also a word that has the quality of onomatopoeia. Onomatopoeia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember once thinking that the actual noun "incanabula" would make a funny verb, when I was tripping. Someone asked if I was "peaking" ( experiencing the most intense part of the trip ) once, and I mistakenly thought they were wondering ( in the same spirit, picked up by context ) if I was "peeking". I figured it was a slang expression for seeing things from an alternate space or imaginary world. I answered that I was "incanabulating" and let them make up their own definition for that niche activity.

I also remember laughing once as a kid when I looked up "silly" in the dictionary just for farts and giggles, even though I knew what it meant. It said "See foolish", which cracked me up for reasons hard to explain.

Imagine the conversation going on during the invention of the letter "Q", and whether it was redundant etc.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ESFJ

In Spanish, it would be "jungla" (jungle). Pronounced HOON-gluh.

"Uranus" is obviously a good one.

"Spelunking" is a great word, both in meaning and in pronunciation.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    XNXP

kerfuffle

The way the media decided to use the word "flap" for a controversy/hassle.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'll tell you what isn't funny.

Bad grammar.

Title fixed.

MBTI
    INFP

You MADE me laugh, kuranes! Your fault.

Yes, Spanish. I think the word for "farm" is funny - finca. Fink-a.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I'll tell you what isn't funny.

Bad grammar.

Title fixed.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery