User Tag List

Default stuck in a rut? why?

are you stuck in a rut? if so, why?
    have you gotten out of a rut? what'd you do?

I got stuck in a rut when I started working in the 'real world.' I didn't like the experience of working in a cube or working the 9-5. so, I began doing night classes and eventually going to school full-time. while school itself is somewhat lackluster I have other activities I have started doing to help me preoccupy my mind and time (yoga/capoeira/mountain biking/volunteering/etc). For me, filling my time with different activities helps me to not feel like each day is the same rotation of the last day...

MBTI
    infp

I'm not stuck in a rut right now, but I was on the verge of one for the past week. I think I've succesfully intervened it and it won't happen now.

I usually try to create when I'm in a rut. I get fed up and just sit down and create something and it gets me going again for a few weeks. I have to keep creating and building on creations for this to keep going.

The other thing I do is physical exercise. If I'm in a rut, I go for a run or whatever, and it gets me pumped.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Is the sky pretty? ...

MBTI
    ISTJ

I've been stuck in a "rut" for the past few days. I am unmotivated, lazy and generally lethargic. I have obligations to fulfill but I have absolutely NO desire to do them, even if it means passing or failing half of my college classes. I need to do them, but I don't want to. Another problem is that this is my last chance at college before my support structure falls apart. I MUST succeed.

Hell...I was lucky to get D&D up and prepared yesterday for the session I ran. It was looking kinda hopeless there through half of the planning.

"Why?" is the question that baffles me. I have no clue as to why I feel so awful right now...but I need to get out of this ditch I've fallen into unexpectedly. Crawling out is a bitch.
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
    --Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

Nothing is worse than active ignorance.
    --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    --Isaac Asimov

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by file cabinet View Post
    are you stuck in a rut? if so, why?
    have you gotten out of a rut? what'd you do?
    I often think my life is going to consist of a series of ruts - in fact I know I'll have more in the future, which makes me tense up when I think of it, but then I just have to let go and take things one step at a time. Ruts are inevitable. I also think/know the solution is probably going to be different for me every time, depending on the situation, life experience, etc. And the very nature of a 'rut' is more emotional/psychological anyway, so that means the same solution very well won't work more than once, or will be stale the next time around.

My ruts pretty much always revolve around jobs/career and life purpose. Tied to that, the tedium/repetitiveness of life sometimes. Jobs are always a challenge because I've never thought of anything I really want to do, and have never figured out anything that would make me happy for life (don't think there is a career like that), so thus far I have always viewed jobs as temporary. And much of that too is that the thought of the same routine day in and day out kind of terrifies me, so in that sense I don't WANT to invest in a single career/life path, out of concern that I'll eventually grow bored from it or feel like a total zombie, just going through the motions. That seems to be the pattern for me anyway.

First big rut was after I'd been in a 9 to 5 corporate job for about 1.5 years. It was sucking the life out of me, and I was very unhappy, but didn't know what else to do. I got out of the mental rut (took about a year or so) by 'accepting' it, in a way, and convincing myself that my meaning was to be found outside the job -- and so I tried to focus on activities and relationships outside of it. I also modified my view of the workplace/corporations, so that it became more palatable. Then once I got out of the emotional bottleneck, I was in a spot where I was ready to look for new jobs, so I found a job much more to my liking. So I guess my 'solution' with that rut was to adjust my expectations out of a job and how it fit into my overall life (lower my expectations?? haha.

Similar thing happened after I'd been in the new job for about 2 years. By then, I felt I'd learned the ropes, gotten everything I could out of it, and it had become boring/predictable. I then realized the company wasn't where I ultimately wanted to be for the rest of my life, so decided there was no point in my staying there any longer. So my solution this time has been to do something more drastic, just because the 'adjusting expectations' thing wasn't something I could do indefinitely. So I'm taking a break, will travel for a while, and then move. Start somewhere new.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTP

I think I was born in a rut. I love my job, but the pay sucks. The reason I don't want to quit (aside from the non-existent job market in NJ) is because I more or less run the day-to-day operations of the business so it'd be pretty messed up for me to just dump everything on the owner after all the time & effort I've put into the place; even though I'll probably never be a partner or co-owner.

The sooner I can find an artist for my comic, the better.
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

MBTI
    ISTx

I think I live in a rut.

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I think I live in a rut.
    *scoops you out of the rut and places you on the ground*

*sprays water*

MBTI
    ISTx

I needed that.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

I've been stuck in an annoying cycle of making new friends and then losing them to relocation.

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say it is a rut, but it feels like it.

Rarr Rarr.