User Tag List

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Default Spam, or not spam?

Just got this email. It's from a Richard Krissinger, and the subject is "Reconnecting".

Hey Mark!

So, shortly after my wife dumped me, so did my company. The only difference is that I am fine with the latter.

Wanted to reconnect with you on this email address. Please confirm that I have a correct address.

Doing well. Looking forward to seeing you and possibly Kris at some point.

DK

My name is Marty, not Mark, I don't know any Krissingers, and have no idea who Kris is. So I quickly dismiss it as spam, and was amused at the irony of the spam protection blurb tagged on the end by Yahoo. But some things didn't fit the spam profile, and I'm thinking this may be a real email from someone who got my address by mistake.

First of all, it's not trying to sell me on anything, and there's nothing attached. It could be one of those spammer probe emails that just verify if your address is valid, but I haven't seen those for a while. I never really got the idea behind those, anyway. You send an email to see if you should bother sending an email?

And there's more consistency than spams typically have. The sender address contains "rkriss", which fits with Richard Krissinger, as do the initials "DK" (D for Dick).

And here's the thing that seems very unlikely for a spambot. It was sent to my gmail address, and also to that same address only with the last character omitted. It's a very uncommon name, so it's unlikely that's another actual address in a spamlist. And spambots don't make typos in an address, and just leave a character off. It looks more like something someone wrote down, and couldn't quite remember if that last letter was there or not, so sent it to both.

Then I looked at the mail headers, and it did, in fact, come from Yahoo's mail server. I'm pretty sure Yahoo would have protection against spammers sending bulk mail through their interface, or they would do it constantly.

So I think I've got an email from a real live human, who somehow got my address by mistake. Now the question is, do I play along, and reply? You know, like, "Dick! Haven't heard from you for a while. Sorry to hear about your company. And the thing with the wife still seems weird to me. Yeah, Kris and I would love to see you! We should get together sometime. How/when/where would you like to do that? --Mark".
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

what location does it indicate he's from in the headers? invite him to the next MN meetup...

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    It could be one of those spammer probe emails that just verify if your address is valid
    Yes. My 2 cents.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Doyathink it would be too rude to let him know you never appreciated his wife

I think you should write back and apologize if your affair with his wife contributed to their divorce, and then recommend that he replace his wife with Kris, who could then be called Kris Krissinger.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

See now that's both considerate and thoughtful ^

Dick does sound a little lonely, you should offer a proper 'reconnection' to pep him up.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think you should write back and apologize if your affair with his wife contributed to their divorce, and then recommend that he replace his wife with Kris, who could then be called Kris Krissinger.
    This seems like the only sensible solution.