User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Esoterica

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default Esoterica

Interests interest me.
    I have lots of interests. For the moment, I'm going to ignore all of them.
    What about y'all?

I don't care if you play tennis. Everyone plays tennis. That's boring.
    I'm interested in esoterica.

What do you like, that no one else even has a fucking clue about?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    infp

I'm interested in screws. My dad has this book about the history of the screw and I've wanted to read it since I was a young child. The screw is such an amazing thing, and it's history is probably also quite interesting.

I'm also interested in maps. My grandpa has a whole bunch of books about maps and one day I will borrow some of them. I used to draw my own maps and then study them. Whenever I see a map I study it a lot and imagine what it must be like there, even when it's like a video game map. The advancements in mapping techniques are quite cool, too. The old maps of north america when it was first being explored by europeans are fascinating.

Come to think of it, my grandpa is like the high cheif of esoteric interest, hahahaha.

I'm also interested in songs of completely different genres and time periods that use the same chord structure. I'm hugely interested in music as a whole, but that aspect of it is probably quite unpopular.

MBTI
    XNXP
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INXP

I like learning about tribes.
    Surrealist silent cinema.
    British independent films.
    The development of sense and perception. Perception of animals/children.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    I like learning about tribes
    Surreal movies from the '30s
    I enjoy these things also.

Someone was telling me that his friend found a painting by Bunuel unexpectedly cheap not too long ago - the people who had it didn't know who had painted it, and even the guy himself didn't know what he had, until a friend pointed it out. ( I hadn't even known that Bunuel painted. ) I heard a great story a few years ago about Dali and Bunuel carousing after hours in ....Madrid ? Toledo ? I forget which city.

I also like stories that point out people dealing with their own culture shock. Some of these are fiction, but others often involve an anthropologist living with a tribe ( or tribes ) for a long period. They are often funny as well as enlightening.

I collect masks made by certain tribes in Africa. Check out this site if you haven't already seen it - re: African tribes. African art museum. Tribal masks and statues of Africa.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

MBTI
    INXP

I prefer the films that really manipulate the psyche with imagery and technique. I actually dislike films like Exterminating Angel for not being able to do this. I'm still learning, though.

Cool link.
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    I prefer the films that really manipulate the psyche with imagery and technique.
    Cool link.
    Thx.

Which films, in your opinion, accomplish this manipulation ?

( On a side note - a fictional book related to this, in a way.
    Amazon.com: Flicker: A Novel: Theodore Roszak: Books )

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    Thx.

Which films, in your opinion, accomplish this manipulation ?
    Well there are lots of shorts about. I like the Quay brothers ('though they're not early). I like Meshes of the Afternoon, 'though many consider it pretentious.

I haven't seen enough of the early films. Borderline, I saw recently, and loved it to bits. Do watch it if you get a chance.

As I alluded, I'm new to it. But I'm sold.

Less esoteric (and more accessible), but many like the Herzog, Tarkovsky films for a meditative feel. Satyajit Ray is my favourite, as his films have a lot of soul, too. Devi is my favourite so far. I've yet to watch the Apu trilogy, but I doubt it will be as spiritual an experience. ('though I suspect I'm preaching to the converted, somewhat)

The best film I've ever seen was Victor Erice's, El Espíritu de la colmena (The Spirit of The Beehive). After watching that, my body was paralyzed. It was as though my mind had actually left, and I couldn't breathe properly for some time.

Here's a great review of Spirit of The Beehive. Aptly, it was cut short by the character limit.

Watching this film is detaching oneself from reality, and just letting Ana Torrent and the Spanish countryside take you on a little bit of a journey. The little girl tells the story through the reflection in her big brown eyes- we sympathize with her every move, and as the movie begins to take on an almost Frankenstein-like aura itself, I was left awed as the credits began to role and beyond, as I was entangled in silence, I had to let my breath come back and wonder... what had I just seen? One
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-Yes, my dear.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

maps I spend hours staring at them, trying to imagine what the landscape is like there and such (and the cultures of the people there!)

the spice trade- to the point where I've even read The Travels of Marco Polo

of course beverages, but I doubt I have to state that one

abandoned buildings and dying lifestyles- I tend to compulsively photograph every bit of those that I encounter

narcocorridos
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INXP

Oh and Onibaba.

Psychological horror is great for it. The Japanese do it best, but Weir/Roeg films are good for it, too.
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-Yes, my dear.