User Tag List

Default Why/how are you listening to music?

Long ago on INTJf there was a topic about this so I will open the thread about that here.

To tell you the truth I don't listen music for the sake of listening music or for the sake of feeling. (If we overlook the joy of controversy)
    I do something else.

I always choose something that is not too diverse in sound and it is not emotionaly explicit.
    But I don't listen music like most of the people.

What I do is that I sit in my chair and place mouse arrow on one part of song.
    When song comes far enough I click the mouse buton to return song back so I am listening same part again and when it is over I do the entire thing once again. This would not be so weird in the case that I don't repeat the process so many time that I don't even remember how many times I did it.
    But when you summarise everything you get listening of same song over 6 hours. Sometimes I focus on same 30 seconds.

What I am actually doing?
    I am trying to shut down my senses by overloading them. What means that the senses will be turned off just to avoud the thing that is going over and over again. What allows me to be more in touch with my abstract thoughts.
    So what I am actually doing is distracting my senses and after 50 times that mouse click becomes automatic so I can work without being disturbed and it also works well on killing my very undeveloped F completely.
    Also I not bored by music because I am not listening it and I am not focused on it at all. Also I can do the samething with the video game.

I do this everyday and this has become a drug for me.
    Majority of concepts that I have posted are created this way and I think that this is one of the most useful tricks I have learned in life.

On the other hand if you watch this from the perspective of other person this is quite creepy habit and I can only guess what the neighbours are thinking.

1.Can anyone relate?

2.What my neighbours think?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

If you replay the portion of the song approximately 50 times, doesn't it take a while just to get to the point of sensory disconnection? Or do you mean a very short portion of a song?

I listen to music specifically to enjoy. I don't believe in "background" music, as I think it misses the whole point. When I'm listening to music, that's the only thing I'm doing, so it has my complete attention.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    If you replay the portion of the song approximately 50 times, doesn't it take a while just to get to the point of sensory disconnection? Or do you mean a very short portion of a song?

I listen to music specifically to enjoy. I don't believe in "background" music, as I think it misses the whole point. When I'm listening to music, that's the only thing I'm doing, so it has my complete attention.
    Yes, I takes a while to reach the point of sensory disconnection.
    Below 10 minutes no way.
    To tell you the truth this is not actually listening of music it is more like a tool of some kind.
    This is probably the work of Ni.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I like to listen to songs through headphones in the dead of night so I can try to pull apart what all of the different instruments are doing.

At night, when everyone else is asleep, so you can finally hear everything.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP

My take on recorded music is highly unorthodox, therefore I do not expect it to meet with much sympathy anywhere...

Suffice it to say, though I love music and am, myself a musician, I listen to recorded music very rarely. For um, philosophical reasons, you might say. But live music - all the time.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ISTJ

I enjoy listening to sacred music - Miserere Mei Deus is something I never tire of, but I digress from the OP. Music is one of the ways I shut down and just exist. For me, it isn't so much about the sensory overload as much as sensory deprivation, but yeah, I get the point.

I don't have to worry about anyone else's reaction because I won't listen to music without headphones. Most of the time, it's at the end of the day as well.

Whatever works
    ...doesn't work or play well with others...

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

i'm not sure if i can give you a very technical answer. i guess there's just something in my biology that makes me feel good when i;m listening to music i enjoy. my goal in life is to maximize happiness, as what good is any pursuit if it does not make you happy? therefore, enjoying the process is reason enough.