User Tag List

123 Last

Default Going to your parents home for an evening

I visited my parents yesterday for a birthday meal and to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving (mom is Canadian). The house is located far off in the suburbs and doesn't have the sound of a highway in the background. I still have a house key and I don't go there very often. I open the door and smell the food being prepared. My older sister still lives at home and is sitting next to the cat. A house of introverts! Overall, it feels calm and quiet... and, compared to the rest of what goes in my life seems relatively peaceful. I'm guessing other peoples experience would be different... what is it like for you?

MBTI
    INTJ

I like visiting my father's house. He lives in a rural town where the train goes by and where we can hear roosters crowing. Birds, deer and turkeys come to feed in his feeders. He's got a nice piece of property. He gets cold easy, like me, so there's always a nice fire in the woodstove. At night, there's no light pollution and we can see thousands of stars. I get along pretty well with my father, but I think that's because we don't discuss religion or politics. He's an ESTP, so he's a pretty fun guy.

MBTI
    istp

when i visit my parents, the first thing they do is give me a laundry list of things that need to be fixed, which i dont mind doing, but then they spend the rest of the time doting over me and asking if i want something to eat every 5 mins.

MBTI
    yupp

I get on a bus/train/airplane mom comes get me from bus station/train station/airport I ride home with her/unless she has to go to work then I drive her to work take the car home then she either takes the bus,my dad picks her up, or i pick her up later, I say hi to the cat I go upstairs usually take a nap as I usually travel over night. I go to lunch with my dad, it's kinda what happens happens type deal. I usually have dentist and doctor appointments scheduled if I'm going to be their longer then a few days.

I still have my house key, I drive the same car I did in highschool so I have a key for that, but I don't have a car here so it's nice to not have to wait on bus or the el for once.

It's pretty peaceful the first couple of days, then I realize why I don't live their anymore (lots of tension).

Also if I ever need to be home while my parents are out of town I know what bus to get from the bus station and I have a house key, so that's nice. I just have to make sure I have fare before going home in my wallet.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I ride the Greyhound for 5 hours and get picked up at the bus station. Depending on who picks me up, I could either be in for a chatty drive to their house or not. It's about a 10 minute drive to their house out in the country/hills.

Once outside of the car, I'm greeted by a cacophony of dogs barking and the remaining parent and/or my brother greeting me from the door. Once inside the house, I have a pair of miniature dachshunds wiggling and waggling and sniffing all around my feet and a bunch of hugs from whoever happens to be at the house, which then launches into a semi-interrogation regarding my health, my life, the bus trip, or whatever else comes to mind, then a long explanation of what has been happening at the house, sometimes accompanied by a cup of coffee or the soonest meal.

It's fairly calm, but not quiet. It usually involves boredom, walks through the woods, and lots of shopping (that's what my mom is best at, after all). I usually only come around on holidays and birthdays, too, so there's usually some sort of party.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

There is no such thing as going to my parents home for ONE evening, I would never hear the end of that, basically they would call me on the phone beforehand and ask me how long I'm staying and I'd have to tell them one night and then it would turn into an argument about why I'm not staying longer and then I will give in and tell them I'll stay longer and then they'll be happy but I wont be happy and then the same cycle repeats the next time I visit.

/run on sentence

I usually only see my family at Christmas, so it's always a party and everyone's nice to me because they never see me. It's really hectic because my schedule is usually full of a bunch of people I need to see, so I very rarely get to spend "normal time" with my parents.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I just got back from spending the afternoon/evening with my parents!

Usually when I get home my dad is wandering around the farm somewhere and my mom is still at work. They live in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by woods and quiet. My parents are both rather introverted and hate noise, so they take pride in the fact that the only sounds you hear there are sounds of chickens, the sheep grazing on grass, the donkey occasionally braying and wind in the trees.

I usually make dinner when I'm there, eat with my family (who has always had the habit of sitting down over a home cooked meal every evening and talking, much to the horror of some people I know) and then going for a walk on the property with the dogs- usually several miles.

When it gets dark, we go inside and drink coffee, eat some cookies or something and talk some more about current events or something like that (esp. when it's my dad and I controlling the conversation).

All in all, so peaceful I'd try and convince them to run a resort for burnt out city people except that they'd HATE to be intruded upon that way!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by file cabinet View Post
    I visited my parents yesterday for a birthday meal and to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving (mom is Canadian). The house is located far off in the suburbs and doesn't have the sound of a highway in the background. I still have a house key and I don't go there very often. I open the door and smell the food being prepared. My older sister still lives at home and is sitting next to the cat. A house of introverts! Overall, it feels calm and quiet... and, compared to the rest of what goes in my life seems relatively peaceful. I'm guessing other peoples experience would be different... what is it like for you?
    A bunch of introverts and a cat?.....Sounds like heaven.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

My very first girlfriend told me I was a mummy's boy - and I am.

I love my mum and my mum loves me, so much so that I am inclined to mother my own girlfriend and I insist she mother me.

Most girls I have found like to be mothered by me, but a very few have found me 'demanding' when I have wanted them to mother me in turn.

Mutual mothering, of course, opens up the deeper reaches of the human psyche. It opens up all those little hurts and all those little joys that lovers love to share.

It opens us to a mutual vulnerability that underlies a solemn play or deeply light-hearted joy.

It banishes the defences and enables a flowing mutual empathy.

And it enlivens the mind and the body with every breath - until we are breathing together - breath to breath - until just one breath stains the night air.