User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: opposites

MBTI
    yupp

Default opposites

So I was reflecting on things and I realized that during a crisis if someone is already worried I don't worry, but if no one is worried I do worry. It's like I do the opposite of whatever everyone else is doing to balance it all out. I wonder if others do this, or if it's just a weird quirk I have. I also tend to believe the opposite of what I'm told, I don't really mean to it just sort of happens. Someone can be like "you suck at fishing" and in my mind I'm like fuck you I'm fucking badass at fishing or they could be like "you're a good fisher" and I'm like what the fuck do you know? I suck at fishing. I've done this for as long as I can remember. So input, I don't know what I'm asking so answer how ever you like, as you can't be wrong.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENTP

Compulsive devil's advocate... whatever position somebody argues, I feel compelled to argue the opposite, whether I agree with them or not.

Sometimes I give into the compulsion (too often actually...), sometimes I manage to restrain it.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    yupp

that's a good term for it, yeah. I have people around me who think I take a certain postition on certain topics just because I've argued the opposite and the truth is I don't really feel that way, it's just I wanted to add another view point.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    ENTP

I think it might be Ne... if yours is particularly high for an INFP it could be with you as well. Likes to look at something from every angle it can, can't ever just sorta accept the 'first impression'. Everything has to be tested, compulsively... if someone says I look nice today, I have to think of reasons why I might not, perhaps because I can't take the compliment seriously until I've figured objectively whether they're just trying to build me up or whether I really do look good that day - otherwise it's just meaningless to me. Not sure though... difficult to say. But yeah, I totally relate to the fishing thing you talked about.

At the moment there's this guy I met recently who keeps on going on about what a breath of fresh air I am, how genuine I am, how he hasn't met someone for so long with so much 'oomph' (his word)... and it sorta puts me off. I can't help thinking 'Dammit I'm not that awesome... what do you hang out with a bunch of douches or something normally? Jesus, I'm not that genuine, heck I fake all the time, like when I just lol'd at your joke, I actually thought it was lame but didn't wanna hurt your feelings... I don't always have oomph, sometimes I'm tired or just don't feel like entertaining, dammit I'm not a performing seal!' And I start thinking that he can't have considered the alternatives, and therefore his compliment is meaningless.

In fact, it's like... compliments actually ANNOY me?!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    yupp

Yeah, I think I have high Ne. because I was laughing that whole post as how much it applies to me.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah, maybe I just get worried that someone's putting me up on a pedestal of some kind in some way, and feel pressured by their expectations, which is maybe why it irritates me... specially if the person doesn't really know me very well at all, I figure "You're just idealizing me... you don't even know who I am... do you think I'm so shallow that I'm gonna be sold by this flattery?" It can get really outta hand, I end up really hating someone and getting all irritable and mean to them cos they've been giving me too many compliments...

Then again I guess a lotta people don't like it when someone comes on like a bulldozer...

OTOH... my ENTJ was very hard to impress, and he'd be very sparing with compliments, so I knew a) when he said them, they really meant something and b) if he was stingey with the praise, it made me want to work harder to earn it or prove that I deserved it.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

as long as you don't develop a strong urge to punch people who complement you you're safe
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    as long as you don't develop a strong urge to punch people who complement you you're safe
    You know, I think I have done in the past...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

as have I... there's nothing more annoying than ceaseless (or seemingly ceaseless) praise when you could be discussing who, following Douglas Adams' rules, should be the next president of the universe! :steam:
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    XNXP

I'm often a contrarian, but not consistently; just so as to be contrary about that, too. .

Heyoka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.