User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default How do you become informed and knowledgable?

What is the main source of where you get your information and knowledge? Do you read news articles, books, discuss subjects with others? What is the best way for you to learn?

MBTI
    ENTP

Yup. Read stuff, talk to people, go places - new places - often. Avoid TV. An open mind tends to mean you learn more - I've noticed that when one of my friends and I go to any new place, it seems I invariably get more out of it than he does. The reason, as far as I can ascertain, is that he goes with expectations of what he thinks it ought to be like, and then spends his whole time comparing the reality to those expectations and giving it scores out of ten. Meanwhile I go in without expectations or agendas, and just look at and examine everything I can whilst I'm there to see what it is and try to understand it.

He tends to hold things to absolute standards, you know? So if we go to an ice rink, if he's never been to an ice rink he'll be thinking of his mental picture of the perfect ice rink, and then his actual experience is just rated according to how it measures up to the perfect ice rink, and all he learns is where to place that one in comparison to others in future, on his mental scale. But if I've never been to one before, I'll just be thinking "I wonder what it'll be like? I've no idea! I guess I'll see when I get there!" and I'm checking it all out when I'm there and just noticing so much stuff that he doesn't because he's looking for things that he can mark on his checklist of things he expected, whilst I'm just looking at everything and judging it according to its full context.

He does this with books too - rather than actually focus on the content of the book what the points are it's making, and what he can learn, he's just looking for things he was expecting out of that book and marking it according to whether it's a "good" book or not.

So... the biggest asset, IMO, for someone who wants to KNOW MORE, is to OPEN your mind
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Read.
    Talk about it.

What the hell?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

BBC, Reuters, CNN, newspapers, etc. Sometimes I will discuss what I've read or watched with others to get their ideas about it. I know everything has to be taken with a grain of salt.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Read.
    Talk about it.

What the hell?
    Same here.

Actually, isn't the answer obvious?

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm asking exclusively to each individual, what your main source is for acquiring knowledge (if you have one)... Like Hmm gave specific examples of where she goes to learn.

MBTI
    INxJ

ScienceDaily
    Nasa
    NPR
    Economist
    CNN
    The New York Times
    Scientific American

Books by the truckload + Conversations with informed individuals

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I love Sci. Am. too. I have a subscription. I only wish I had the pesos for the Economist.

We also get Smithsonian and Natl Geo.

As to "news", I prefer to cull several sources, like two different local papers, C-SPAN, Yahoo news, etc.

If I was in the mood for say, a history of language or Amazons, I goez to dah liberry.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Conventional source - local newspapers, internet, books

The biggest source of information is actually my education.

But for me the most important part for me is my independent thinking. I spend hours every day just on thinking.
    I think that this is the key part because this part allows you to make connection and to sort useful information and junk.

MBTI
    INTP

All of the above. I've actually found that "over-clocking" myself is a much better strategy than just passively adhering to to the teachers demands and orders. I love to get information from all sources, and I like to talk about it as well(MBTIc has been decent in that regard). I really sort of hate dogmatic knowledge thats why I try and diversify my sources as much as possible.

I think having a source of output like a little notebook or journal really helps flesh out your ideas. I remember reading in one of these threads about how Dana and Jennifer like to sort of use their blogs as their desks and just pour out all their ideas and work on them. This forum, my journal and notebook serve similar purposes.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.