User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Lots of sources, mostly science books, and websites. I used to have a subscription to Nature magazine (IMO, the best magazine for general science news around). I get news from Google, and NPR--I'm not really big on keeping up with current events.

When I was younger, I would make-up math and physics problems for my self to solve, and I'd be thinking about them while I went about my chores--didn't always work out well for my chores. Still, a great amount of my "knowledge" comes from my own thinking about subjects.

I also go to libraries a lot. Luckily, there are some real good university libraries around, and I can read about almost anything.

As much as I hate to say it... school has helped me become more knowledgeable. I don't like homework or the "drill-things-into-your-head" format. But I have found that I actually did learn quite a bit in school, and I've been blessed with having among the best education programs available for the things I wanted to focus on.

I also learned a lot from my job. I used to learn a lot more. I think working in an environment where you have to do a lot of things, and almost everything is under your own control (rather than having all sorts of bureaucratic procedures to follow, and a narrow little role to play) is a good place to learn on the job.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

READREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADRE ADREADREADREADREADREADREAD

Until you pass out.

Save money by buying used books. Avoid libraries unless you're disciplined enough to bring back books on time. (I've lost over $100 on library fees.)

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I listen more than I talk.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm pretty selective. I read & compare various sources of information, question intent/what's actually being said/ draw my own conclusions. I tend to avoid biased information that has hidden propaganda, which consists of mostly local news stations in my area/especially FOX.

Funny thing is- when I traveled out of the US, I actually had a chance to watch news about 'world affairs' from that were actually from multiple perspectives. That to me, is true fair/balanced jouranlism. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

I love how some news channels claim to be "World News" when the major focus is celebrity gossip/local crimes like police chases. I also don't dig media-censorship.

MBTI
    istp

fox news, the drudge report, and people magazine

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    What is the main source of where you get your information and knowledge?
    Just life experience. Remembering the encounters I have with people and nature and machines.

Do you read news articles, books, discuss subjects with others?
    Yes. Although not that many books.

What is the best way for you to learn?
    By living. Hands-on, doing stuff and figuring out how it works, getting a feel for whatever it is.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

1. Advice
    2. Experience
    3. Jeopardy!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

reading compulsively

National Geographic, Newsweek, Scientific American, New York Times, Fort Worth Star/Telegram, The National Review (like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, but I read it anyways ), NPR , El Pais

Talking to people... you learn a lot from other people!

I learned a lot more in college by talking to professors and fellow students after class than I ever learned from the textbooks, which are one of the few things I don't feel the desire to read
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    The National Review (like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, but I read it anyways
    Yes, higher education is always a challenge.

Need to read more closely, though: there's no article in the title.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Yes, higher education is always a challenge.

Need to read more closely, though: there's no article in the title.
    sorry- half a sleep and a bit tipsy! (and therefore slightly mixed the title up with The Nation- it's opposite! )

I merely read it in morbid curiosity of "how do people think that way?!? "

the equivalent of you reading The Nation
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett