User Tag List

12311 Last

Thread: How Es think?

Default How Es think?

The purpose of this thread is explaining habits of Es.
    There will be differences for sure since this is directed to 8 types.
    Introverts are also welcome.

Why are you social?

I am interested in understanding why some people(majority) have developed sense or need to be in contact with other people.
    What do you see in other people(in general) that you deside to hang out with them?

What happens to you if you don't socialize during longer period of time?

How do you take conflict on personal level?

To verify my position- I scored I=100% many times. So I want to understand the other side.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Why are you social?
    Many different reasons. On a less personal note, it's a simple thing of the way I think being to externalize ideas and thoughts as they occur to me, needing someone to bounce them back to me, see what they make of it, which determines my next step. Obviously, the higher the quality of 'wall' I throw my ideas at, the better the potential for me to, with their help, form something awesome out of them. And since sorting through my ideas and understanding the world is a thing very important to me, peope who help me do this are very, very valued and appreciated.

So it crosses into personal... because I know that to simply babble out what's on my mind all the time would be annoying and unconstructive in most situations, so I have to apply a lot of self-discipline, which gets tiring and after a while I really get frustrated and feel horribly bottled up and stuff - a person who can understand this and who is there to talk to and who talks back (rather than sit there and let me talk away like an idiot), who doesn't judge my crazy ideas and who understands that that's all they are - not pre-formed opinions ffs!! - is someone that quickly becomes very dear to me.

Another reason is because I'm a human and humans are social by nature. Some are more sociable than others, but we're all social. We all need other people to get through life. I used to live an extremely isolated life, where I had to be almost 100% self-sufficient both practically and mentally, and it led me into severe depression, suicidal feelings and borderline mental illness. Since coming out of that and building a life with a social circle, community and friends, I can't imagine ever not appreciating the fact that, because I give a lot, I can get help when I need it. I'll never have to take three hours to mow a lawn again, for example, because of having to push an ancient non-electric mower despite suffering from sciatica and having to stop in severe agony after each push. I can now call up a friend and he'll bring his electric mower round and even do it for me. And I'll never spiral myself into virtual insanity with unchecked intuition again, because now I can call a friend or two who will sit and listen to me and tell me when I'm talking total shit.

What do you see in other people(in general) that you deside to hang out with them?
    I see that most people have needs that are not being met in their life. I want to try to meet them if I can, in return for the invaluable 'service' they give to me in simply being there for me to talk with. Just talking with people in the process of getting to know them, learning about their issues and helping them through things, provides me with everything I need to function well myself, to identify and understand my own problems and know what to do about them.

I have no way of thinking, basically, and so ideas get lodged into my brain but I can't DO anything with them. And that gets me all confused, and being confused gets me depressed, and being depressed makes me become inert.

On a personal note, I'm very prone to extreme self-doubt and insecurity, which I know is mainly due to hangovers from my past that linger in my mind. When I'm alone too long, these things can circle round each other and magnify themselves out of proportion and I can become paralyzed with self-doubt, to a point where I desperately long to go out and be with people, but I'm 'certain' that to do so would cause annoyance to others.

When I hang around with other people, it's too obvious from their responses that I'm actually awesome and that I have qualities others appreciate, for my insecurity to get a word in edgeways

Quite a broad question... it depends hugely on the source of the conflict...

This thread is gonna be moved, you know that, btw?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

This thread is gonna be moved, you know that, btw?
    The reason is?

That was very good reply by the way.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Why are you social?
    I think a lot of it comes from my extended family being large, close, and boisterous. A lot of my interactions have been shaped by being around people all the time, lots of social gatherings, lots of phone calls and multi-family vacations. Also, my own personality demands a lot of attention and (even more importantly) paying of attention to others.

I am interested in understanding why some people(majority) have developed sense or need to be in contact with other people.
    I have an affinity for intimacy. I like to make emotional connections with others who are willing to do the same. Sharing similar interests or viewpoints concerning life make this process easier.

I get rather agitated. I call up people with whom I haven't spoken in a while, I go out drinking and carousing, I end up posting at places like this.

I tend to want to take conflict head-on. I try to use logic and reason to make my points to the other party, and to explain why I feel the way I do.

To verify my position- I scored I=100% many times. So I want to understand the other side.[/QUOTE]
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

See this thread for example of my externalized thinking process in action... first dumping out there all the stuff that occurs to me in response to the external stimulus of the OP and other posts, then with the promptings of the responses, figuring out what I think.

This method carries with it the main drawback of people thinking I actually MEAN half the shit I come out with, therefore thinking I'm a bit daffy, frankly. They're like "what are you on about? what does that have to do with it? stick to the subject! what are you trying to say?" and I'm like "Hold on, I'm just getting to it - " then I have to repeat what I said until I can get an actual response to it from people, rather than repeated requests to have already got to the end of the process.

This is another reason why people who will talk back to me and stuff are so valuable to me - I know where the inhospitable environments are to externalized thinking, so when I know I'll have to deal with it, I try to spend a bit of time in sympathetic environments first to try to gather my thoughts before I go in. But it's not easy - once I'm in, everything I encounter triggers new thoughts and ideas, which possible mess up the ones I already had, which now need revision - all of which needs to happen externally, ideally... my best bet is to buy some time by bamboozling the audience so they're kept chasing a red herring whilst I try to think it out in my head (dangling the herring on autopilot meanwhile), then when I'm ready I can just call a halt to it and be like "no hold on wait, what am I talking about - THIS is what I meant..." and then they're like "Ohhhh... that's actually quite good. At first we thought you were a bit mental..."

*mops brow*

But these narrow escapes that come from my Ti being hastily forced into action are never as good in quality - I mean the conclusions and inspirations I get from them - as the things I come out with when I'm able to just brainstorm and stuff back and forth without the pressure to have already got it all thought out.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Why are you social?
    antisocialone's a curious one isn't he? i like that bro.

What do you see in other people(in general) that you decide to hang out with them?

i do have a genuine belief that all people have some good inside them, and they are pretty much all interesting, just in different ways. i also like using my social circle as a way to talk about my ideas. i like having a variety of things to interact with. if i'm alone on my cpu, i'll have some work i need to do along with some forums, youtube, facebook etc. i get distracted because i like doing a variety of things and work only happens to be a fraction of it. if i'm in a group however, and everyone's talking about the same topic (i'm a philosophy major you see), i can bounce around ideas, talk to different people while still being on task.

not too much really. i'm not that afraid of being alone for a while. to be fair though, i live with my family and i'll bug them with questions anyways. i don't think i can like being completely isolated for too long.

i hate it. absolutely hate it. i don't know if this is an E thing or just an F thing, but as i said, i think there's good in everybody. everybody can get along if we just make an effort so when conflict arises i feel both powerless and troubled.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Wait.. why are we assuming E's think?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Wait.. why are we assuming E's think?
    Booo! This isn't INTPc you know!! Boooooo!

We think a lot. But externally.

(see antisocial one, this is just what I'm talking about - "you didn't have it all figured out before you opened your mouth, therefore you talk shit and don't think")

I wonder how introverts would react to an accusation that they're dumb, based on my observation of what seems to be a total inability to just respond to something without having to go away and think about it?

E: What do you think of it then?
    I: Oh gee, I don't know
    E: C'mon, you must have some opinion on it?
    I: Well I do, I just don't know what it is right now...
    E: Jesus, it's just a curtain...
    I: No! I need my me-time! Get away! Stop assaulting me with your rapid fire conversational gambits!

Sniffles

Now now substitute, it's not fair to lump all Introverts in with the likes of antisocial and ajblaise.

I'm more than aware of that E's think, they just have to let everybody else know how their thought processes operate.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Now now substitute, it's not fair to lump all Introverts in with the likes of antisocial and ajblaise.

I'm more than aware of that E's think, they just have to let everybody else know how their thought processes operate.
    LOL hah, I was just playing