User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Thread: How Es think?

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    This is overall an inefficient method (especially for what an ENTP is interested in). The most efficient method is to talk with someone who is very knowledgable in the field you are interested in. Not only can they tell you about the writings of some "great thinker", but they can synthesize the writings of several books together in the discussion and give their own educated opinions. Also they can answer any specific question you have about the topic.

For me this is usually enough, because for most topics I don't want to know every single detail about it. I just want a broad understanding of the underlying concepts. Reading a book would be a waste of time. Now if I do want to know all of the details, then I'll go look them up in a book, but usually I don't care enough to bother with them.
    But, down the road, you're likely to get screwed for skipping the details. Those kinds of things have a tendency to show up without warning. Stuff shows up, asks, "Do you know x detail?" You say, "Uhhh, no" and then it's basically "Haha you're screwed!"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    But, down the road, you're likely to get screwed for skipping the details. Those kinds of things have a tendency to show up without warning. Stuff shows up, asks, "Do you know x detail?" You say, "Uhhh, no" and then it's basically "Haha you're screwed!"
    As much as I hate to admit it, you're totally right. It drives me crazy, because I'll feel like I have a good generalized hold on a topic, but when it comes time to explain it to someone else and they ask for details and I can't provide them....It makes me feel like I don't really know ANYTHING!
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Details are BORING!!!!

Necessary, but boring nonetheless.

One understands nothing about a given system if one only memorizes the details/labels of its "parts". True comprehension comes from ones conceptual understanding of the underlying or overlying functions of said "parts".

Understanding why > knowing what
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    One understands nothing about a given system if one only memorizes the details/labels of its "parts". True comprehension comes from ones conceptual understanding of the underlying or overlying functions of said "parts".

Understanding why > knowing what
    We know, our teachers have even said this plenty of times before. (and then they get upset when people ignore the details....they just want it both ways)
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

This is overall an inefficient method (especially for what an ENTP is interested in). The most efficient method is to talk with someone who is very knowledgable in the field you are interested in. Not only can they tell you about the writings of some "great thinker", but they can synthesize the writings of several books together in the discussion and give their own educated opinions. Also they can answer any specific question you have about the topic.

For me this is usually enough, because for most topics I don't want to know every single detail about it. I just want a broad understanding of the underlying concepts. Reading a book would be a waste of time. Now if I do want to know all of the details, then I'll go look them up in a book, but usually I don't care enough to bother with them.
    You'll pardon me if I don't consider it admirable that someone should find reading so much as the Cliff's Notes to be too much of a bother.

MBTI
    ENFP

In answer to the OP.. I love to be around people, there's just something about folk that interests me and I have always been the same as a kid I could people watch for hours and there was nothing I loved more than getting around a bunch of people be they kids or 'grown-ups' and asking them the questions no one else wouldn't dare to ask.... I certainly made life difficult for my parents.. I also loved helping people with their problems and finding solutions for them and I would feel the pain they were in as if it were my own... Both my parents were SJs and used to get really annoyed by this over-sensitivity as they called it.. What I loved the most was to entertain people and to make them laugh... there's just something that I liked about watching their energy rise and in turn mine rise too.. I am still the same now I just love people, even those I wanna hate I love if you get my meaning.... It is important for me to say that I do, however, love being alone and get important rest from long time alone... I never get bored and I love my own company.. I love to have time to dream things up and imagine and theorise.. If I didn't have time alone I would die... dreadful... I have lived life lik a hermit on several occasions and I don't understand this constant need for external stimulation that I see with some other E's.. and on the subject of conflict... I HATE conflict it effects me so badly, almost as though I am receiving body blows or physical pain or something... just horrible
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    LoLz

Common E thought: "Must log on Facebook!"

(Yes, I know that's a stereotype. It's just so common.)

For Introverts, it's more of, "Must check a few forums!"

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    I'm not sure what you are talking about. I am talking about learning for fun. Usually the broad idea is enough for me, but if I want to learn more then I look at the details. Now if you are talking about a work situation that is different. In that case I do everything the job requires. And of course lots of details can simply be looked up whenever necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    You'll pardon me if I don't consider it admirable that someone should find reading so much as the Cliff's Notes to be too much of a bother.
    I was talking about efficiency and not admiration. Besides there have to be better ways of gaining admiration than reading a bunch of old books.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    LoLz

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I am talking about learning for fun. Usually the broad idea is enough for me, but if I want to learn more then I look at the details. Now if you are talking about a work situation that is different. In that case I do everything the job requires. And of course lots of details can simply be looked up whenever necessary.

Oops. I automatically attach a goal to everything. So, I find out if a detail is worth knowing or not. It's an SJ thing.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Besides there have to be better ways of gaining admiration than reading a bunch of old books.
    Wrong. When disparaging them, it is proper to use the phrase "stuffy old books".
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --