User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: How Es think?

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Why are you social?
    Ooh, this is hard. People keep me even keeled. I need people to react to, for, or against. I feel like old bathwater when I'm not being active with people. I feel bereft.

What do you see in other people(in general) that you deside to hang out with them?
    Heh, I got in trouble with this one recently. I have different groups of friends that serve different purposes. I have a group of friends that I'm all intellectual and political with, then I have the friends that I party with, then I have my old school friends, my film group friends, my internet friends, and my work friends. I have common experiences with each group that forged us together. It's not really necessary for me to have one group of friends that I express all parts of myself with (although I do have those). I like having a diverse group of friends because I get different perspectives and opinions which I enjoy. These perspectives help me think and figure things out. I'm sure there are traits all these people have in common that drew me to them and I would say they're mostly a thoughtful bunch.

What happens to you if you don't socialize during longer period of time?
    I've never had extensive periods of forced alone time. When I lived alone I occasionally would barricade myself in my apartment for a few weekends or I'd choose to go low profile for a while, but those were my decisions. My idea of active socializing is when I'm out with my friends in people centers. I guess some people don't count as far as socializing (like my family because I know them already.) Interacting with new people is always fun and I enjoy talking to strangers. I figure I need to do the active socializing every other weekend or so. If I don't I feel disconnected and my mind starts thinking things like nobody likes me or I'm boring or I'll end up alone or morbid thoughts. I'll sometimes have a breakthrough regarding something about myself during these periods, but they tend to be tinged with residual negativity. They're not very pure and clean. I prefer to view myself as I'm reflected.

How do you take conflict on personal level?
    Depends on who and what it is. If it's someone I care about or can harm me professionally I'm very active in trying to get things right. I try to figure what the effects of engaging in the conflict will be and if it's worth it. I'm really controlling about my image. I don't like anyone defaming my character, questioning my integrity or honor, and belittling my intelligence and I'll usually react to that.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    They are different. Their existences are the only way to quench my unrelenting thirst for curiosity. Every day, I like to hear from a different tale; every day, I like to discover a new aspect of things, to explore a new layer.
    I've known another ENTP who said similar things, and I've never entirely understood it. If you seek knowledge and fresh perspective, head to the library and get the books written by the truly great thinkers. By talking to people you will get, at best, the same knowledge regurgitated with factual errors and omissions, assuming your conversation partner has even bothered to acquaint himself with some degree of knowledge at all. Much more likely, you'll find yourself in conversation with someone who is, in his life, essentially reinventing a mediocre version of the same wheel a literary great has already penned.

MBTI
    ENTP

Mycroft, pardon me but that's a sorta rather ridiculous standpoint to take IMO. If you want to understand the world then you have to understand people. And the best way to understand them is to spend time with them, not to sit in a library reading books written by people who don't understand them and who, in their 'transcendent wisdom', have forgotten to take them into account in so many of their theories, and yet fail to realise that this is why their theories seldom tend to work in practice.

People are what society is made up of, so the greater the sample of individual people you have deep experience and knowledge of, the more reliable your impressions, theories and predictions regarding society in general will be. There simply is no substitute for experience in gaining this knowledge. Somebody who spends most of their time reading books and only short and infrequent periods of time around people, will never understand people. And so, IMO, will never understand the world.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Mycroft, pardon me but that's a sorta rather ridiculous standpoint to take IMO. If you want to understand the world then you have to understand people. And the best way to understand them is to spend time with them, not to sit in a library reading books written by people who don't understand them and who, in their 'transcendent wisdom', have forgotten to take them into account in so many of their theories, and yet fail to realise that this is why their theories seldom tend to work in practice.
    If I were only to read books written by other INTs, I would wholeheartedly agree such would be the case, but I'm talking about reading books the best members of all types have to offer. (To use MBTI as a shorthand and a metaphor.)

People are what society is made up of, so the greater the sample of individual people you have deep experience and knowledge of, the more reliable your impressions, theories and predictions regarding society in general will be. There simply is no substitute for experience in gaining this knowledge. Somebody who spends most of their time reading books and only short and infrequent periods of time around people, will never understand people. And so, IMO, will never understand the world.
    This is... pretty anthropocentric. The laws that govern the universe really don't give a damn how members of one particular species go about interacting with one another, beyond the extent to which the form of said species, which dictates the manner of its interactions, is a manifestation of those laws. (If you'll forgive me the artistic license of anthropomorphizing the laws of the universe, a touch ironic though it may be.)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

isn't this thread supposed to be in the MBTI area... ? ehh

to answer the question: i get extremely antsy if im not with people. even when im alone, im on here (ya its sad) because there are people here (sorta). as far as how i think...well i think just like an introvert...maybe a little different (if you wanna consider the functions).
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    ENTP

Mycroft - you annoying pedant, by 'the world' I mean 'human society'. Please excuse my informal and imprecise mannerisms

Even taking all your books by all the types in the world, IMO all reading them can be at best is a bit of background knowledge, at worst a source of often inaccurate bias. Like I say, experience is the real test of all the books say, and books and theories are discredited every day in the face of experience. Whoever they're written by. People who write books are just as prone to misinterpreting their experience as people who don't. Difference is, the former think if they get their interpretations published, that makes them authoritative
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Difference is, the former think if they get their interpretations published, they have their opinions listened to and they make money off of them.
    fixed.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

How would something like this sound to an E ?

As a geology student I have to go to the field trips to finsih my education and I like it.

So one night we as a group stayed in a hotel that is technically in the middle of the nowhere. The nearest neighbour was at least 10 miles away.

Since people had a free evening they decided to party.
    To me as a person there is nothing more boring for me then a party full of people that dance, drink, sing..... (and everything that comes with the package)

Since I have figured out that because people don't know me well they will try to drag me into this.
    I am not avoidant or shy it is just that I don't see the point.

Because of this I have left them to party and went to a nearby forrest and sit down on a shore of a lake and started my favorite activity - abstract thinking

So I have sepent hours there in almost pitch black atmosphere looking at a sky without light pollution and enjoy the quiet. I am interested in astronomy by the way.

For me that was one of the most plesant evenings I had in sometime and the chance that something bad will happen to me was very low. Plus I said where I will be.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

I am diging this one up since someone will probably comment ^ post.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i don't see the question.

you told a story and you're asking how it sounds?

would i want to do that? doesn't sound like a bad way to spend an evening...but ....no i wouldn't have done it....wouldn't have cared that you wanted to though.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison