User Tag List

First 715161718 Last

Default Fully Awake!

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    "ex cathedra" !! Tish, I love it when you speak Latin.

* in an undertone to the side * Lurch, show Mr. Uberfuhrer here out, will you ?"

I do enjoy it. I do. You can teach me more about trances.....

Have you ever heard of something developed in the 50's or 60's by Bryon Gysin called the "dream machine" ? Perhaps its just a quaint thing now, an antique; but at one time it was controversial . I suppose there are now modern digital versions of this which are easy to get and do more. Tangent - I once briefly tried bio-feedback to control brain waves consciously, but I didn't have steady access to the machine, which was university property, and, as a result have to make do with uncontrolled waves. Til now, that is. Mua ha ha

YouTube - Dream Machine
    If you are serious about trance, it is best to approach it formally.

I attended a class by a Sports' Psychologist at the University. And he very gently introduced the class to the experience of trance. He pointed out the traps and gave us suggestions for safety.

Also I bought books by Dennis Weir.

And I joined the site of Dennis Weir called, The Trance Institute

But sometimes I just listen to binaural delta waves and watch the fractals unfold on kL3z, but you need stereo headphones for it to work.

Trance is a normal part of daily life. For instance you enter the hypnogogic trance just before you fall asleep and just after you wake up.

And you enter and leave trances all during the day. And we take this for granted and it is normal.

So essentially you are learning to become conscious of something you do normally all during the day.

If I wanted to be pretentious - and I do - I would say, it is making the unconscious, conscious.

And you know you are on the right track, when you feel relaxed and refreshed after a trance experience - when you are fully awake.

MBTI
    ENTJ

By definition, being different from the norm means that one will have more trouble relating to others. People tend to like others which are similar to them in terms of socio-economic level, education, values, etc. with sufficient difference as to create interest.

Your giftedness and personality type make you different from the average person, but you can be fortunate that the source of these differences are seen as socially desirable characteristics. The situation is worse for people with differences that are seen as socially undesirable (i.e. disability, illness, etc.).

In your case, you have the opportunity to be admired by people. However, this admiration will be easier if others stays at a safe distance from you, if your qualities are not openly flaunted, and if your qualities help others. If you get too close, come off too strong/boasting and/or do not help others with your talents, then people will most probably feel envy instead. They will find ways to legitimate their negative feelings by finding faults in you and possibilities of connection will be lost.

Hence, my advice concerning your situation is to keep a lower profile among people and help them with your talents. You are not impressing them by being so upfront and showing them what you are capable of doing; you are making them feel threatened. However, keep in mind that you will never truly relate to them. Either feelings of envy on their behalf or a superior attitude on your behalf may poison your relationship. It is better to seek like minded gifted people who are talented as they will not feel threatened and you will be able to connect more easily without "toning it down". Beware if they are gifted in the same area as you though, as this will result in a competition.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Why do you think that this is a curse?

The answer is obvious but I stll want to hear your side of the story.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    By definition, being different from the norm means that one will have more trouble relating to others. People tend to like others which are similar to them in terms of socio-economic level, education, values, etc. with sufficient difference as to create interest.

Your giftedness and personality type make you different from the average person, but you can be fortunate that the source of these differences are seen as socially desirable characteristics. The situation is worse for people with differences that are seen as socially undesirable (i.e. disability, illness, etc.).

In your case, you have the opportunity to be admired by people. However, this admiration will be easier if others stays at a safe distance from you, if your qualities are not openly flaunted, and if your qualities help others. If you get too close, come off too strong/boasting and/or do not help others with your talents, then people will most probably feel envy instead. They will find ways to legitimate their negative feelings by finding faults in you and possibilities of connection will be lost.

Hence, my advice concerning your situation is to keep a lower profile among people and help them with your talents. You are not impressing them by being so upfront and showing them what you are capable of doing; you are making them feel threatened. However, keep in mind that you will never truly relate to them. Either feelings of envy on their behalf or a superior attitude on your behalf may poison your relationship. It is better to seek like minded gifted people who are talented as they will not feel threatened and you will be able to connect more easily without "toning it down". Beware if they are gifted in the same area as you though, as this will result in a competition.
    Yes... I was thinking something like this earlier on when I was trying to give advice to CC, but I couldn't explain it quite as thoroughly. You explained it very well. Good post, Maverick.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    If you are serious about trance, it is best to approach it formally.
    .................................................. ..

If I wanted to be pretentious - and I do - I would say, it is making the unconscious, conscious.
    I have made a note of the references you indicated. I have some good headphones ( Koss K6A ) that I acquired cheaply at a flea market, but I'm unsure if they are stereo or not. ( I'm guessing they are. ) I'll PM you and find out more.

It's a subject that seems interesting. Like self-hypnosis. Awhile back someone supplied me with this url for self-hypnosis software.
    Virtual Hypnotist - free hypnosis software but I haven't looked into it yet.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I have made a note of the references you indicated. I have some good headphones ( Koss K6A ) that I acquired cheaply at a flea market, but I'm unsure if they are stereo or not. ( I'm guessing they are. ) I'll PM you and find out more.

It's a subject that seems interesting. Like self-hypnosis. Awhile back someone supplied me with this url for self-hypnosis software.
    Virtual Hypnotist - free hypnosis software but I haven't looked into it yet.
    Yes, hypnosis involves you in a loop between the hypnotist and yourself.

While self-hypnosis involves you in a loop entirely within yourself.

So self-hypnosis is somewhat misnamed. Self-hypnosis is more like meditation where your psyche is self sufficient.

It is not as difficult as it might seem. As a trance can be induced by any repetition. And there are many different trances for many different purposes. Perhaps the first thing is to learn to recognise when you are moving in or out of a particular trance.

Probably the next important thing is to know what you want the trance for. Do you want it to relax? Of do you want it for study? Or perhaps you want it for sport. Or perhaps you want it for business.

So it is important to know what you want the trance for. So you can tailor the trance for that purpose.

Of course there are traps. For instance, a trance within a trance can be addictive.

So take it very slowly. Know what you want. And take care.

Oh yes, I forgot, the binaural delta waves through your stereo headphones are a form of hypnosis. And you will probably notice that some suggestions are put on the screen while you are hypnotised. And you must realise you are very likely to follow these suggestions. However they are completely harmless, so don't worry.
    But it is also important to realise that when you are hypnotised, you are very likely to follow any suggestion, harmless or not. So take care.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Grrrrr!!!!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

?

MBTI
    ENFP

oh god I'm so alone

I was stupid and when I was 16 I procrastinated on getting a permit. I am now 18, car-less, and social-life free. I live in a rural area and when you have no problem whatsoever doing a 40 mile round-trip on a bicycle just to talk to people that you know you get very fit, but it drains you. Unlike introverts who may feel drained after a social event, I feel drained physically and mentally. Most of the friends I had in high school are in College now, the other ones are going to school still. In the summer this was no problem I could just get a ride anywhere but it's not only school season again but also cold as hell. I can't even ride the bike anymore.

In about a week though I ship off to AIT so I hope I'll be able to remember my swift tongue and decent character wrapped up in an all-around swell frame. This is hard on an ENFP.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFP

Default Significantly Different From the Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I wrote this as a defense mechanism? I really think she's an ENFP, and I really think given that she doesn't make people feel safe, welcome and comfortable, and, in fact, does the exact opposite, she should look into this.
    I have to step in here and say that CC is the first--and so far, the only--person in this forum to make me feel welcome and comfortable.

As far as cognitive differences, I've been on both sides of the fence, as it were. Before my brain injury, I guess I was what you'd call "gifted," though in a more narrow area; namely, writing and later, the law. Law school was the first place I felt surrounded by my true peers--before that, I felt pretty alienated too (actually, a lot of people I knew in law school felt this way). A few months after graduation I had my injury and, though I regained most of my cognitive function, it's different than it used to be. Other people still think I'm "smart," even "brilliant," whatever that means, but I can feel the difference between then and now. And I still feel alienated, even somewhat "dumbed down." I've come to the conclusion that it's not my smarts or lack thereof that sets me apart but something innate. Fortunately for me, I'm an I and not an E, which I think makes it easier as I rarely get lonely. Bored, yes, but hardly ever lonely.

My younger son, who is a schizophrenic, is an ENFJ--very weird, given his diagnosis--and is lonely a LOT. He is also cognitively very different from the norm with a low-average IQ. Nevertheless, he has a very high EQ--again weird considering his dx (and yes, his dx is accurate)--which helps him fit in somewhat, but one of the things I've noticed is he needs a lot more recognition for his achievements than, say, my INTJ or I do. I don't know if this is an E thing or not.

My older son OTOH, is extremely bright but chose to go to flight school rather than pursue academics. He lives and breathes flying but I sense this wistfulness in him as if he, too, feels different in the world he's chosen for himself. He flies roughnecks out to drilling and production platforms in the Gulf of Mexico--which is not to say none of these guys aren't smart, but I get the feeling he doesn't really connect with them, or even the other pilots. He, too, is an E--ESTJ--and networks well, but doesn't seem to connect. He doesn't seem to suffer the loneliness his younger brother does, but I think in his case, he doesn't have the curse/blessing of F.

Well, yet another rambling, too-personal post that probably doesn't address the issue. Sorry.
    It's a blessing...and a curse.

Originally Posted by Anja
    I don't have room for shame in my life.

INFJ, 4w5 sx