User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 72

  1. #51
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Opivy1980 View Post
    You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio-http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=71;t=001493;p=3

    I can keep coming up with proof while you just postulate without any hard evidence.
    You make claims and back them up with random web search results that support your opinion or archaic information that is used by people that wish their belief was true.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

  2. #52
    shoshaku jushaku rivercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    I have to admit, there are days when I cruise the internet with a virtual green pen in one hand (I don't use red to edit with). Then I come here, read the posts of a few folks I'm otherwise quite fond of, and I realize the profound futility of my desire to rid the world of typos, grammatical errors, and punctuation mishaps. Cos there are days when I'm soooo tempted to click the "edit" button on other people's posts and fix the your/you're confusions, the "rediculous" things, and various other assorted linguistic flea bites.

    I have successfully restrained myself. It's hard at times. I may snap one day, clean up all the annoyances in a post, and add a smilie like this:


    At that point, someone needs to send me a new bottle of Laphroaig.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

  3. #53
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    At that point, someone needs to send me a new bottle of Laphroaig Peptobismal.
    Fixed!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #54
    Senior Member Opivy1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    You make claims and back them up with random web search results that support your opinion or archaic information that is used by people that wish their belief was true.
    No see I am providing this thing we call "proof" it something rational people do to back up their reasoning to show that it isn't just made up and random. For being a supposed rational you haven't provided an ounce of proof to support anything you have said in this conversation, so why should I take anything you say as fact? At least I know how to debate and support my claim, if you can't support what you say maybe you should just go play with something shiny and leave the conversations to the adults.
    Question everything especially yourself.

    Opivy1980

  5. #55
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Well, that settles it. People on the Snopes message board quoted their results from a quiz at gotoquiz.com. That's incontrovertible evidence!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  6. #56
    Senior Member Opivy1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Well, that settles it. People on the Snopes message board quoted their results from a quiz at gotoquiz.com. That's incontrovertible evidence!
    I didn't say that is the only proof, but at least I have some before I open my mouth, check linguistic websites too, you'll see a lot of the same results. People just get upset and irrational when you point out differences and state that one is better for certain situations, ie standard english, also known as Midwestern or Northern Midland for business purposes, I don't care what people speak like when among each other, but when you are talking to someone for business reasons, try to make it so it is clearly understandable, not gibberish.
    Question everything especially yourself.

    Opivy1980

  7. #57
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Opivy1980 View Post
    I didn't say that is the only proof, but at least I have some before I open my mouth, check linguistic websites too, you'll see a lot of the same results. People just get upset and irrational when you point out differences and state that one is better for certain situations, ie standard english, also known as Midwestern or Northern Midland for business purposes, I don't care what people speak like when among each other, but when you are talking to someone for business reasons, try to make it so it is clearly understandable, not gibberish.
    Exactly who has gotten upset and irrational when you pointed out the differences? I certainly have not. There are differences and I find them fascinating. But the fact remains that the Midwestern accent IS an accent. There is no such thing as not having an accent. And even your "proof" backs that up.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  8. #58
    Senior Member Opivy1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Exactly who has gotten upset and irrational when you pointed out the differences? I certainly have not. There are differences and I find them fascinating. But the fact remains that the Midwestern accent IS an accent. There is no such thing as not having an accent. And even your "proof" backs that up.
    So what "proof" do you have to state that "there is no such thing as not having an accent" ?

    Based off dictionary.com:

    accent: A characteristic pronunciation, especially:
    1. One determined by the regional or social background of the speaker.

    characteristic: a distinguishing feature or quality

    distinguishing: distinctive; characteristic, as a definitive feature of an individual or group

    Since the "Midwest accent" (I use accent for lack of a better word) is used in two completely different geographical locations: The Midwest and California
    it is therefore not distinguishing, because based on language alone, you couldn't tell what geographical location that person is from

    Since you can't say that the "accent" is distinguishing then "characteristic" doesn't apply and therefore neither does "accent"
    Question everything especially yourself.

    Opivy1980

  9. #59
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Opivy1980 View Post
    So what "proof" do you have to state that "there is no such thing as not having an accent" ?
    Why should I post proof when you've done it for me? Although, personally, I would not choose the particular sites you have chosen to make my point, as they are not definitive or unbiased. But you've already said they're good enough for you by posting them yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Opivy1980 View Post
    Based off dictionary.com:

    accent: A characteristic pronunciation, especially:
    1. One determined by the regional or social background of the speaker.

    characteristic: a distinguishing feature or quality

    distinguishing: distinctive; characteristic, as a definitive feature of an individual or group

    Since the "Midwest accent" (I use accent for lack of a better word) is used in two completely different geographical locations: The Midwest and California
    it is therefore not distinguishing, because based on language alone, you couldn't tell what geographical location that person is from

    Since you can't say that the "accent" is distinguishing then "characteristic" doesn't apply and therefore neither does "accent"
    You're going to have to convince me that a California accent and a Midwestern accent are identical, because I don't believe that to be so. It's true that the Midwestern accent has been pushed as the standard, and people who learn English as a second language generally learn that, but that doesn't make it not an accent.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  10. #60
    Senior Member Opivy1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Why should I post proof when you've done it for me? Although, personally, I would not choose the particular sites you have chosen to make my point, as they are not definitive or unbiased. But you've already said they're good enough for you by posting them yourself.



    You're going to have to convince me that a California accent and a Midwestern accent are identical, because I don't believe that to be so. It's true that the Midwestern accent has been pushed as the standard, and people who learn English as a second language generally learn that, but that doesn't make it not an accent.
    I did some more research as of recently California is developing a new accent, that is unique to the region, fine I will concede that, at the same time it is also well known that the Midwest accent, which I will concede is an accent by the previous standards laid out, is the most neutral and that is why it is also called Standard or General American English. Here is one empirical example from my own life no one has ever told me they don't understand what I am saying due to my "accent" I talk to people in my job on the phone everyday and some can barely form words their accents are so thick, and yes many of them are from the deep south and the east coast, like it or not, speaking with a thick accent isn't conducive to being able to communicate for business purposes, that was my original point, that everybody should learn how to speak in a professional manner when dealing with communication in a business setting, and ghetto accents are even worse, those people should have a translator call for them.
    Question everything especially yourself.

    Opivy1980

Similar Threads

  1. Grammar correcting. Helpful or irritating?
    By MDP2525 in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 12:04 AM
  2. [INTP] INTPs and Grammar
    By MerkW in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 07:06 AM
  3. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 12:05 PM
  4. Improving one's Vocabulary, Grammar and Spelling?
    By Noel in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 08:18 PM
  5. Grammar Girl
    By Haight in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 11:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO