User Tag List

First 34567 Last

I grew up in Iowa - when I moved to CA, people told me I had an accent. When I moved to DC, people told me I had an accent.

Hell, when I used to travel to Houston for work, THEY told ME I had an accent!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Res Ipsa Loquitur View Post
    I grew up in Iowa - when I moved to CA, people told me I had an accent. When I moved to DC, people told me I had an accent.

Hell, when I used to travel to Houston for work, THEY told ME I had an accent!
    That's odd you think through media exposure that people wouldn't have noticed due to the Midwest being the standard for television expecially.
    Question everything especially yourself.

Opivy1980

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Many upper-midwesterners are comically confused about their accents. They were brought up with this false notion that they didn't have one, or that it is "neutral", or that it is the best, when it is actually obvious and definitely none of the above.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Opivy1980 View Post
    That's odd you think through media exposure that people wouldn't have noticed due to the Midwest being the standard for television expecially.
    Actually, this is a false notion. Ages ago this was semi-true at one point (the training was based mostly on Michigan pronunciations), but it still had accent removal.

You are not in Michigan, and even if you were, you would have an accent.

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Many upper-midwesterners are comically confused about their accents. They were brought up with this false notion that they didn't have one, or that it is "neutral", or that it is the best, when it is actually obvious and definitely none of the above.
    I'm not talking about the Nordic Minnesotan or Wisconsin or Dakota dialect, Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Michigan, are what I am talking about, and not the rural backwater influenced dialect either. There isn't an accent, everything is pronounced and sounds like a dictionary version of English.

Opivy1980

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Opivy1980 View Post
    I'm not talking about the Nordic Minnesotan or Wisconsin or Dakota dialect, Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Michigan, are what I am talking about, and not the rural backwater influenced dialect either. There isn't an accent, everything is pronounced and sounds like a dictionary version of English.
    Believe what you like, the rest of us are laughing at you.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rhu View Post
    Y'all is you-niversal. My question was targeting PA backwoods accents!
    *grumble* thas'al... gonner go redup my room now... *grumble*
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Believe what you like, the rest of us are laughing at you.
    You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio-http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=71;t=001493;p=3

I can keep coming up with proof while you just postulate without any hard evidence.

Opivy1980

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

I think Wolf should be taken on a tour of the eastern U.S. (rural great plains, Chicago, Cleveland, Minneapolis, small town Michigan, the I-90 section of New York, Boston, The center of evil Washington D.C., Atlanta, small town Kentucky, Nerw Orleans, anywhere else that shows what the more populated section of the U.S. has to offer.), it could be our first major MBTIcentral real life project.

And, following the trend, I wish to state that I have no accent either, although there is a second "countrier" accent that some peopl in the great Lakes are have.

MBTI
    INTJ

I know I have an accent, yet I've been told because I, a) learned a second language before the age of five and b) enunciate, they have a hard time determining just what kind of accent I have.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.