User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    No, no, no! The place with no accent is wherever YOU happen to live.

(Everyplace else has an accent.)

It does sound rather surreal, though -- I love it when Brits talk about an "American" accent, and I'm thinking, "Hey, my English sounds good as it is, you're the ones who talk funny."
    On the contrary, I fully realize that NC has a distinct accent, even distinct among the other Southern states. In fact, I can tell if a person is from up by the Virginia line, or out in the foothills of the Appalachians, or down state by the coast. Accents and dialects have always fascinated me.

One final note-- call centers are placed wherever they can staff them, not where there is no accent. A lot of call centers are getting outsourced to India these days. There was a funny thread on INTPCentral awhile back that was titled something like "No, Customer Service Guy, Your Name Is Not Jason."
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    type

No, no, no! The place with no accent is wherever YOU happen to live.
    No, not true. People where I live have a pronounced accent. I've never been to a place where people have no accent.

I personally have no accent. Ask Ivy.

The statement could be made that I don't happen to live anywhere particular.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    No, not true. People where I live have a pronounced accent. I've never been to a place where people have no accent.

I personally have no accent. Ask Ivy.

The statement could be made that I don't happen to live anywhere particular.
    I'm afraid I can't confirm that you have no accent. But not a Southern accent, surely.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    One final note-- call centers are placed wherever they can staff them, not where there is no accent. A lot of call centers are getting outsourced to India these days. There was a funny thread on INTPCentral awhile back that was titled something like "No, Customer Service Guy, Your Name Is Not Jason."
    Iowa and Tornado Alley are prime locations for call centers. Part of this is the backlash against outsourcing overseas, but other considerations have effect as well: simpler legal aspects, fewer cultural misunderstandings, fewer geographic frustrations (time zones, etc), yadda yadda.

Farmsourcing is a burgeoning field, to tell the truth.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

MBTI
    type

I'm afraid I can't confirm that you have no accent. But not a Southern accent, surely.
    I have a wholly undefinable accent, hence, no accent.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

On the contrary, I fully realize that NC has a distinct accent, even distinct among the other Southern states.
    *groan* ...it was a JOKE...! a JOKE!!!

But fine. I can say the word "bucket" and "bottle" with a cockney accent. Do I win a prize?

There is actually an "accent" in the area where I grew up -- it's a pseudo-West Virginia accent, from the backwoods of PA. I don't have much of it, but I find it easy to drop into the rhythm when I go back to visit.

You type with an accent. I can hear it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'll give you the undefinable (I think mine's pretty muttish also, on account of going to Quaker school with a bunch of damned Yankees) but not the "no accent." (But that's just because I don't think anybody has "no accent." Just diluted/mixed accents.)

MBTI
    type

As for the OP.

I've stopped correcting grammar unless I'm requested to do so. The ROI for being an unsolicited Conan the Grammarian is simply not sufficient. Besides, sometimes it's much more satisfying and instructive to let people make silly mistakes--like letting a puffed-up firewall admin constantly refer to "authentification" when talking to vendors.

Edit: "Authentification" has entered the common language as a portmanteau of "authentication" and "identification." These are separate concepts and really should be kept separate, for clarity.

MBTI
    Pfft

There is actually an "accent" in the area where I grew up -- it's a pseudo-West Virginia accent, from the backwoods of PA.
    Yins or you'ns?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Conan the Grammarian