User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 72

  1. #11
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Dude, you sound ignorant and high-strung. Do you think you don't have an accent or use a certain type of vernacular English? Have one of these
    Pay no mind to our new village idiot.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

  2. #12
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Pay no mind to our new village idiot.
    Oh, don't feel threatened -- we have room for more than one!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #13
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh, don't feel threatened -- we have room for more than one!
    I thought we banned the last one...

    Or did we change their name?

    Something like that.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Opivy1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Dude, you sound ignorant and high-strung. Do you think you don't have an accent or use a certain type of vernacular English? Have one of these
    I'm from the Mid West, and no my accent is we don't have one, and I don't mean Minnesota or Chicago, or Wisconsin, ND, most of the mid west is chosen for call centers because our English is without accents, you can look it up if you have any doubt.
    Question everything especially yourself.

    Opivy1980

  5. #15
    Morlock Rhu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    Pfft
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Opivy1980 View Post
    I'm from the Mid West, and no my accent is we don't have one...
    Nah. That means the accent is the dryest and the flattest, not that it's nonexistant. Midwesterners definatly have a set of vocal tones and modulations that are unique to their region of the world.


    Anyway, on topic: I only tend to request changes in someone's grammar or spelling if what they are trying to communicate is unclear. I tend to get annoyed when people correct their spelling especially. I understand! You're detracting from the flow of conversation!

    Hell, sometimes people accidentally create awesome new words or expressions by making simple mistakes in typing. I love the English language for its inventiveness. I've always been fond of calling it one of my favorite toys.

  6. #16
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Opivy1980 View Post
    I'm from the Mid West, and no my accent is we don't have one, and I don't mean Minnesota or Chicago, or Wisconsin, ND, most of the mid west is chosen for call centers because our English is without accents, you can look it up if you have any doubt.
    Oh you have an accent, it's just flat American (look it up if you have any doubt). My point wasn't about your debatable lack of accent, it was the disdain for people that don't sound like you.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  7. #17
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Opivy1980 View Post
    I'm from the Mid West, and no my accent is we don't have one, and I don't mean Minnesota or Chicago, or Wisconsin, ND, most of the mid west is chosen for call centers because our English is without accents, you can look it up if you have any doubt.
    Where you claim to be from has a dirty easterner accent. Congratulations, I will automatically distrust you!

    Call centers are not placed for accent neutrality, they are placed because there is a sufficient workforce with suitable marginal technical skills, low education, no chance for leaving the situation, and other important factors.

    I once lived in the western-US call center mecca, where it was considered a fairly respectable job and nobody could afford to, nor did they want to, leave. The cost of living was relatively low, too.

    This is why most are in places like Missouri, Georgia, N/S Carolina, Mississippi, New Mexico, Ghetto areas of Colorado, Utah, India... Notice that many of these are inland and/or poor areas. These are also favored places for basic processing tasks - order taking, bill processing, card processing, IRS, etc.


    I actually live in a non-accent place - California. We have so little accent that we pick them up from others quite readily. After a few days in Canada people couldn't tell I was a foreigner.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Opivy1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Where you claim to be from has a dirty easterner accent. Congratulations, I will automatically distrust you!

    Call centers are not placed for accent neutrality, they are placed because there is a sufficient workforce with suitable marginal technical skills, low education, no chance for leaving the situation, and other important factors.

    I once lived in the western-US call center mecca, where it was considered a fairly respectable job and nobody could afford to, nor did they want to, leave. The cost of living was relatively low, too.

    This is why most are in places like Missouri, Georgia, N/S Carolina, Mississippi, New Mexico, Ghetto areas of Colorado, Utah, India... Notice that many of these are inland and/or poor areas. These are also favored places for basic processing tasks - order taking, bill processing, card processing, IRS, etc.


    I actually live in a non-accent place - California. We have so little accent that we pick them up from others quite readily. After a few days in Canada people couldn't tell I was a foreigner.
    Iowa doens'nt have an eastern accent, I don't know where you are getting your facts from.
    Question everything especially yourself.

    Opivy1980

  9. #19
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    I find it really curious that both opivy1980 and wolf think they live in a place with "no accent." No such place exists. California has a definite accent, as does Iowa.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  10. #20
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I find it really curious that both opivy1980 and wolf think they live in a place with "no accent." No such place exists. California has a definite accent, as does Iowa.
    No, no, no! The place with no accent is wherever YOU happen to live.

    (Everyplace else has an accent.)

    ...

    It does sound rather surreal, though -- I love it when Brits talk about an "American" accent, and I'm thinking, "Hey, my English sounds good as it is, you're the ones who talk funny."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Similar Threads

  1. Grammar correcting. Helpful or irritating?
    By MDP2525 in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 12:04 AM
  2. [INTP] INTPs and Grammar
    By MerkW in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 07:06 AM
  3. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 12:05 PM
  4. Improving one's Vocabulary, Grammar and Spelling?
    By Noel in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 08:18 PM
  5. Grammar Girl
    By Haight in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 11:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO